LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Air Suspension Adjustment Measurements?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-15, 02:44 AM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Air Suspension Adjustment Measurements?

Looking at my 2004 UL, it appears as though the rear is slightly lower than the front. If I measure the edge of the fender to the road, the front are indeed sitting about 1" higher.

I've read the FAQ, and the adjustment for the suspension seems easy enough. But my question is...what part of the car is used to measure and ensure the heights are correct? Do you measure from the fender to road? Fender to center of wheel? Is there a bolt/nut on the suspension that you measure to the road? What is that measurement to make sure the car is sitting "zeroed" in for factory ride height?

Also...is there any type of calibration that can be done to the sensors?

Thanks! Oh....and everyone have safe holidays!
Old 12-25-15, 12:25 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

See attached for the specs. Assuming the front lower suspension arm set bolt center has the same ground clearance as the rear lower suspension arm set bolt center, then it is certain that the front is supposed to sit higher than the rear. However, if the ground clearance of the front and rear set bolts are different, then you can't make that inference.

If you do some reading around here, you'll see that several people have messed around with these sensor links and had a real tough time calibrating the car. I was rear-ended lightly and that was enough to damage the sensors or throw off the calibration. After spending a month proving the accident or their repairs caused the sensors to read "out of range", the Lexus dealership installed new sensors and re-calibrated. Even they couldn't calibrate the height correctly the first time - I had to send them the exact same spec sheet and instructions and demand they do it again.

If you are gonna try to adjust it, make sure your tires are inflated to spec, your tires aren't flattened by being parked for several days, you are parked perfectly level, remove excess weight from car, and bounce the front and rear a few times to settle the suspension. Make adjustments in very small increments. Be extra careful not to move the sensor arms beyond their normal operating range - if you accidentally move the sensor arms too far, the sensor becomes permanently damaged (according to a Lexus tech I spoke to). The sensors are $500-700 each (which I got free since it was a no-fault accident).
Attached Thumbnails Air Suspension Adjustment Measurements?-ls430-01-airsuspspecs.jpg   Air Suspension Adjustment Measurements?-ls430-02-airsuspadjust.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Fsport4lif (02-22-23)
Old 12-25-15, 04:07 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks a bunch! But I don't understand the wheel to ground measurement...or am I reading the diagram wrong? Regardless of how high the car is, isn't the center of wheel to ground number always the same? ?

What am I missing?

Last edited by RRocket; 12-25-15 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-25-15, 06:42 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not sure I'm measuring on the control arms in the right spot.

For the front, I got 93mm! Can that even be right? And is there that much adjustment in the rod? The back is 100mm....Which I suppose is more believable.

Any better diagram of the control arm area of measurement?

Last edited by RRocket; 12-25-15 at 06:48 PM.