LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Smart Key Programming Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-15, 11:07 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Smart Key Programming Help

The owner I bought my LS430 from says he had his dealer deactivate some of the functionality of the key. He said this was his first car with a smart key and as a result he used to exit the car without shutting the car off (older guy). So you have to put the key in the ignition to start it.

I went to the dealer to have this functionality turned on and they claim it's impossible to turn it off in the first place...So there was nothing they could do and suggested I buy new keys.

I've read the stories of dealers being a bit clueless about the smart keys and their programming. I believe the previous owner...I mean, no one admits readily to being old and to forgetful LOL. Plus all my keys work in the same manner.

All smart key functionality works...except the keyless starting..You still have to put the key in.

Can anyone help?

Last edited by RRocket; 12-21-15 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-19-15, 08:13 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

What year is your LS?
Old 12-19-15, 11:02 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

What the dealer may done is just turned off the smart key at the button above the gas pedal. I believe the dealer is correct in that the smart key is programmable in the sense that it is programmed to the vehicle and this is it. Check the smart key on/off button above the gas pedal. The door handle sensors work? The smart key light blinks when in range?

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-19-15 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-19-15, 11:43 AM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
What the dealer may done is just turned off the smart key at the button above the gas pedal. I believe the dealer is correct in that the smart key is programmable in the sense that it is programmed to the vehicle and this is it. Check the smart key on/off button above the gas pedal. The door handle sensors work? The smart key light blinks when in range?
The button is on. As I said. All functionality works except for the keyless starting.
Old 12-19-15, 12:20 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Change the battery (inside the key) recently?
Old 12-19-15, 01:39 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

That is odd. I do not remember seeing anything within TechStream that would allow you to program the key this way. Change battery as Tom mentioned otherwise I don't know what else it would be.
Old 12-19-15, 01:58 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Try placing the FOB at the position indicated on the procedures below and see if you can get your car started. Verify that the smart indicator is illuminated. If not, please report back to let us know if you can get this indicator to illuminate by moving the FOB around.

Last edited by rkw77080; 12-19-15 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-19-15, 06:47 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rkw77080
Try placing the FOB at the position indicated on the procedures below and see if you can get your car started. Verify that the smart indicator is illuminated. If not, please report back to let us know if you can get this indicator to illuminate by moving the FOB ....
Yes. The green light flashes. Front seat or back seat. Anywhere in the interior and the green light flashes.
Old 12-19-15, 07:29 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Do you have a mean to retrieve the type "B" DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) from the vehicle? Here are some of the possibilities...

One more thing, did you have your foot on the brake pedal when you try to turn the ignition switch? Please also take a look at the steering lock fuse (see red arrow) in the passenger-side fuse box.

Last edited by rkw77080; 12-20-15 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-19-15, 10:52 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

How do I retrieve these special DTC? I have Techstream on one of my PCs, though I've never used it.

Yes, my foot is on the brake pedal. I just checked the fuse. It is there and in working order.

Last edited by RRocket; 12-19-15 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-20-15, 06:30 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RRocket
Yes. The green light flashes. Front seat or back seat. Anywhere in the interior and the green light flashes.
I have a clarification question: Located immediately to the left of the "smart" key indicator (green flashing light), there is a red flashing light. The steering lock is activated whenever this red light is flashing, and you cannot turn the ignition switch. So, when you have a FOB inside the car and you push-in on the ignition switch, does the red light stop flashing (turned off)?

Since you must insert the FOB into the ignition switch in order to turn it (but not able to do so with the FOB simply being inside the car), I agree with your initial assessment that some settings in the ECU that is preventing you to turn the ignition switch. I came across the procedure below to reset the steering lock. Please give it a try by first disconnect the negative battery cable for a few minutes, then reconnect it, then follow the steps...

Last edited by rkw77080; 12-20-15 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-20-15, 12:01 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rkw77080
I have a clarification question: Located immediately to the left of the "smart" key indicator (green flashing light), there is a red flashing light. The steering lock is activated whenever this red light is flashing, and you cannot turn the ignition switch. So, when you have a FOB inside the car and you push-in on the ignition switch, does the red light stop flashing (turned off)?

Since you must insert the FOB into the ignition switch in order to turn it (but not able to do so with the FOB simply being inside the car), I agree with your initial assessment that some settings in the ECU that is preventing you to turn the ignition switch. I came across the procedure below to reset the steering lock. Please give it a try by first disconnect the negative battery cable for a few minutes, then reconnect it, then follow the steps...
Thanks again for the follow up. I really appreciate your efforts.

Ok. When I enter the car, the red light does not flash. It stays solidly lit. The green light does flash however. Pushing in the ignition switch doesn't change this. The only thing that changes is the steering wheel telescopes into position.

Now once I have the fob in the ignition and I have the car turned on the green light goes off and the red light starts to flash. But it's not a constant flash. There's seems to be a slight pause between one of the flashes.

I've recorded a brief video. Perhaps this will be better than words. You can see I try to start the car twice..the steering wheel telescoping back/forth for those 2 tries. But the state of the lights does not change. Only once the fob starts the car do the lights change.

Old 12-20-15, 01:07 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

My light never stays fully lit with or without smart key turned on. Something is amiss.
Old 12-20-15, 02:10 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the video.

Refer to page 05-2987 of the attached, it seems that your car has entered into the "automatic key code registration mode" and tried to re-register an already registered key. Look to me that the red light was flashing in the "Code 2-2" pattern.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Registration.pdf (75.7 KB, 309 views)
Old 12-20-15, 02:45 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

This is interesting stuff. What does resetting the seat ECU have to do with it though?

Quick Reply: Smart Key Programming Help