LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

My favorite Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-15, 04:12 PM
grunner58
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at the end caps on the filter media. The Fram is pinched into shape and the Mahle is smooth. No leakage from the Mahle.

Look at Fram's tossed in bypass valve of stamped steel. Compare that to the Mahle where the valve is built into the end plate and everything is perfectly formed without any pinch points.

Look at the filter media and how uniform the Mahle is vs the Fram. Look at the spacing as well.

Mahle's coiled spring wire provides the greatest level of movement vs FRam's nonexistent spring and tossed in valve.

For those in manufacturing at the plant level, it is apparent that the Mahle is way ahead of the Fram in manufacturing quality.
Old 12-17-15, 04:21 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Mahle > German oil filter ... but made in Mexico
Amazon.com: MAHLE Original OC 338 Oil Filter: Automotive Amazon.com: MAHLE Original OC 338 Oil Filter: Automotive

Last edited by Tom57; 12-17-15 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-17-15, 04:25 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Here's the not-so-cheap $9 Fram filter that failed due to structural integrity issue at the seam.
Attached Images  
Old 12-17-15, 04:37 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Yeah, broken record thread...

Use what makes you happy. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-17-15, 04:40 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

You too Lav.
Old 12-17-15, 06:15 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom57
Here's the not-so-cheap $9 Fram filter that failed due to structural integrity issue at the seam.
$9 for ANY oil filter (from german/mexian mahle to american amsoil) is a ripoff (IMO), but that's 1 heck of an extra-special ripoff for that (standard) Fram filter. It's not even the "toughgard" nor the "high mileage" nor the "ultragard" nor the "extended gard" nor the triple-trapper-super-duper gard.......... lol!

This might be one of the worst threads in CL history!
Old 12-17-15, 07:19 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an open bet for Grunner58 -

Put your money where your mouth is - run Mobil 1 0w-40 for 18k miles and your Mahle filter for 36k miles and get a Blackstone UOA on both oil changes.

I'll run whatever oil I want on whatever intervals I want (at least 7,500 miles) on whatever oil filters I want. And I'll do UOAs each time.

If my UOAs are better than your UOAs, you never ever use a superlative to describe a product ever again. If I win, I'll pay you $40 or donate $80 to a tax exempt charity of your choice.

Wanna take the bet?
Old 12-18-15, 07:18 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

amazing....the oh so comforting psychic benefits some guys get from an expensive oil filter.

seriously, do you guys really think a standard Toyota OEM filter isn't good enough?????

put your money into something like tires or better shocks or cleaner interior or jeez almost anything else
Old 12-18-15, 07:47 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by toddmorr
amazing....the oh so comforting psychic benefits some guys get from an expensive oil filter.

seriously, do you guys really think a standard Toyota OEM filter isn't good enough?????

put your money into something like tires or better shocks or cleaner interior or jeez almost anything else
The stock filter is a good filter but it is not outstanding and there are better ones out there. Particularly for extended OCI's using synthetic oil. Oversized filters do a better job for extended OCI's. The Fram I use is like 60% larger then the standard filter. The price difference between the Fram XG and a stock filter is like 3 dollars...

This is a great thread from a Lexus master mechanic who used to be on the forums often until Toyota went after him for showing everyone how to fix the failing capacitors in older LS400 ECU's for like 1/10th the cost of buying a new computer. Even though this is in the LS400 forum all the filters apply to the LS430. It's funny how many brands are actually made by Fram... The current Toyota filter is no longer made in Japan. I believe they are made in Thailand now.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...on-our-ls.html

If you want to extend your time between oil changes, running a great full synthetic oil such as Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra, Mobil 1, Valvoline SynPower, German Castrol, etc. is not enough, you still have that wimpy little oil filter than doesn't have the capacity to go 12 or 15K miles! - Even if you are very conservative in your oil change frequency and change it every 3000 or 5000, a larger and better made oil filter is never a bad thing!

So here is a list of the most premium oil filters that work great on all LS models from 1990-2006 and give you ~60% more volume as well as premium features on the inside of the filter such as a silicon anti-drainback valve and high quality bypass valve of the same PSI setting as the stock Toyota filter.

Here is the list of the world's most premium oil filters, in oversize, which I can expand if I have missed your favorite brand:

Motorcraft --- FL-400S
WIX XP --- 51516XP
Fram Ultra --- XG3600
K&N --- HP-2009
Mobil 1 --- M1-209
Bosch Premium --- D3422
Purolator PureONE --- PL20195
NAPA Platinum --- PFL 41516
Amsoil --- EAO34
Royal Purple --- 20-400
Toyota (NipponDenso) --- 90915-20004 (made in Japan) - this is the filter than came on your car when new, hard to find now
TRD (Toyota Racing Design) --- PTR43-00080 .....Note: this is not an oversize filter

PS - the K&N and Mobil 1 filters are the same filter internally, and with minute differences the Royal Purple and Toyota Racing Design (TRD) are as well, all 4 made on the same assembly line by Fram subsidiary FRAM Filtration (aka Champion) although the filter media on these 4 is not identical.

the Amsoil and NAPA platinum are essentially the same internally as the Wix XP who manufacturers them, although Amsoil is transitioning to Champion (FRAM Filtration) for their manufacturing.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-18-15 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-18-15, 08:35 AM
grunner58
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not suggesting running your oil for 18,600 to 31,000 miles; car manufacturers are according to Mahle. I change oil at 5k intervals. But Mahle has to design, and build, to those crazy mileages, and therein is the benefit to all of us.
Old 12-18-15, 04:50 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Originally Posted by grunner58
I'm not suggesting running your oil for 18,600 to 31,000 miles; car manufacturers are according to Mahle. I change oil at 5k intervals. But Mahle has to design, and build, to those crazy mileages, and therein is the benefit to all of us.
All this for 5k OCIs? You're actually crazy. I don't think there's an informed person in the world who would say that a synthetic offers more protection than a good regular oil of the same weight during a 5k oci unless you're a professional driver and taking your car to the track or the drag strip on a regular basis (or towing a very heavy trailer up mountains?).

I know everyone has an opinion on oil, but I have never heard anyone with an informed opinion recommend using a synthetic oil with an oversized oil filter for 5k ocis on cars that are as easy on oil as ours.

Your recommendation is absolutely ludicrous and shame on you for presenting it as the best to people who might not otherwise know better.

I bet you haven't ever done a UOA on your car, and you have no idea what the oil flow rate / viscosity / oil pressure is in your car. And you have no idea whether a 40w oil will accelerate wear of critical components like the oil pump or any of the seals.

But you don't care. You read some marketing material, did some inference and decided that the oil with the best base stock* was the best for you and us.

*At that rate you could run a redline racing oil / motorcycle oil - with fewer detergents and a better base stock oil than any current Mobil 1 product. Isn't every Group V motor oil superior to the Mobil 1 0w40 if you just look at base stocks and viscosity targets.
Old 12-18-15, 10:20 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

You guys want to know something else funny about the discussed items on this thread?

"THE BOOK," owners/service manual recommends every 5k miles or 6months for the oil change interval. Let me restate that. THE BOOK recommends every 5k miles or 6 months.

Time after time after time after time the supermajority on this site, of us CL members, we almost ALWAYS SWEAR by "the book", and the book knows best, and that OEM anything is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS the best. (exxxxxxxxxxceptttttttttt in the case of oil change intervals, oil filters, air filters, antifreeze, fuel, wipers, glass/leather cleaners, waxes & polishes), and other easily produced aftermarket service/maintenance consumables that bombard consumers with commercials, infomercials, and fancy packaging.

Personally, I set the oil change reminder on the Nav Screen/Maintenance Info for 3k miles/3 months. Am I always able to change the oil at 3k miles or 3 months? Absolutely not. NEVER. I work 2 jobs, travel frequently 6 hours to Syracuse NY, and have a military obligation 1 weekend each month.

Almost always, after the reminder pops up on the nav screen, it's usually several weeks before I'm able to change my oil! Do I utilize my 3k/3months schedule on every car I service? No way. That would be nuts. My F150 has an oil life indicator and I'll make arrangements to change, sometime in the future, it when it shows 15% life left. My GF's Accord has the oil life indicator as well. She tells me when it's at 10% and I make accommodations to change it, sometime in the future.

To each their own, but it's really silly TO THINK you guys will see any noticeable difference using synthetics, "oversized" filters, or the red/white/blue amsoil or prince purple oil or whatever it's called. Silly, just silly.

I have a question: Where are the CL members whose engines have blown up, or lost compression, or seized, or thrown a rod, or have been damaged by sludge, oil pump ruined, etc, because they used dino oil and an cheap oil filter????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Finally, the TITLE of this thread is "My Favorite Oil Filter". That being said, there's nothing wrong with someone's personal choice of "favorite". Just because someones favorite is chocolate and yours is vanilla doesn't mean they are wrong, or you are right. A "favorite" is a personal choice, no right, no wrong. Goodnight!
Old 12-19-15, 12:25 AM
airchomper
Pole Position

After 4 pages of people calling him out - he changed the thread title from 'The best oil filter' to 'my favorite oil filter'. You can see references to his outlandish claim in the first page of the thread.

No one got mad at him for voicing an opinion (and what do we have to talk about on these cars if not for our opinions?). Nearly everyone has asked him to back up his initial claim that this was the 'best' oil filter with something other than ad materials.

I'll also mention that he declined an opportunity to put his money where his mouth is - that his combination of mobil 1 0w40 and Mahle oil filters is the best thing you can do for this engine.

Also, the owners manual recommends oil replacement at 5,000 miles in normal driving conditions. I'm sure that's perfectly conservative advice. I don't think there's ever been any LS car with an owners manual that recommends 3k mile changes.

But if you run synthetics, you can extend your oil change intervals. There are four reasons I chose to run synthetic engine oil - caveat emptor:

1. I simply feel better about starting my car when it's below 0 outside. This is why I chose Toyota Genuine 0w-20 (also because I think the additive package is well suited for our engines but that's besides the point). The Toyota Genuine motor oil is one of the thinnest oils in the world at 0 degrees.

2. I get better milage with synthetic oil. This makes synthetic oil have the same cost of ownership as dino oil so it's a wash.

3. I enjoy extended OCIs and only change my oil once per year.

4. The freedom to change viscosities means I can use one oil for all my cars. Two cars in my family run 5w20/0w20, two Toyota cars (mine included) ask for 5w30 but I feel reasonably safe running 0w20 in them.

I think I've only seen two threads about LS430s that suffered from a lack of oil changes. Most people just neglect the timing belt and ruin their car that way.

I'm all for discussing oil - but I think there are 3 camps:

1. Oil by the book - factory recommended viscosity, service grade, and interval

2. Oil for convenience - oversized quality filter, synthetic oil, going a year between oil changes

3. Lubrication on the cheap - doing UOAs to find out that you can run dino oil for 12k miles if you refresh the additive package once or twice.

You can read about this for days at Bob is the Oil Guy, and get into much more detailed discussions. My take away is that no one is going to otherwise ruin their car following the factory recommendations; you can do oil changes once a year with regular driving if you pay for the privilege; or you can really save some money on maintenance if you know how to do it.
Old 12-19-15, 05:48 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Unless my car has an oil service reminder (or Oil % left like my 2013 Malibu), I use synthetic oil and change it every 6 months or 5,000 miles.
You should also be able to get a quality oil filter for under $6.00. I use Motorcraft for my Fords and bought a few Toyota oil filters for my Lexus
Old 12-19-15, 09:04 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by airchomper
After 4 pages of people calling him out - he changed the thread title from 'The best oil filter' to 'my favorite oil filter'. You can see references to his outlandish claim in the first page of the thread.

No one got mad at him for voicing an opinion (and what do we have to talk about on these cars if not for our opinions?). Nearly everyone has asked him to back up his initial claim that this was the 'best' oil filter with something other than ad materials.

I'll also mention that he declined an opportunity to put his money where his mouth is - that his combination of mobil 1 0w40 and Mahle oil filters is the best thing you can do for this engine.
He didn't change it, I did.

Let's keep this thread on the topic of oil filters and not the people posting in the thread from this point forward please. If you can't do that, don't post.

Quick Reply: My favorite Oil Filter