LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Another LS430 Rear Camber Out of Spec

Old 12-11-15, 01:34 PM
grunner58
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another LS430 Rear Camber Out of Spec

2004 LS430 (All OEM stock Rear suspension)

Rear: Right Camber is -2.1 (range is -1.8 to -0.8)
Rear Left Camber is -1.0

Goodyear Dealer (latest Hunter laser equipment) tells me that the rear Lateral arm needs to be replaced. Looking at the TIS 27-26 rear suspension report, there are two rear arms. One arm has the height control sensor attached to it and comes in 3 lengths. Is this the arm that needs to be changed to correct the camber?

Since the left side is within spec with stock components, I assume that correct camber can be achieved with OEM stock parts.

Should I order a 441.5 mm length or 446.5mm or 451.5 mm length arm in order to get within spec
Lexus Part Numbers:
RR Lateral Arm - Right
441.5 mm: 4873050080
446.5 mm: 4874050040
451.5 mm: 4873050090

Thank You
Old 12-11-15, 02:28 PM
grunner58
Driver

Can anybody confirm that the OEM stock arm is 446.5mm in length? If so, I am assuming I would need to go with the shorter 441.5mm arm in order to lower the negative camber number from -2.1 to within spec of -1.8 to -0.8?
Could this over compensate and place me with positive camber and out of spec in that direction?
Old 12-11-15, 03:55 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I hope this helps in any way.

When I had my alignment done, I was told that the rear had some camber and the stock arm couldn't compensate for that extra camber, and confirming what your mechanic had to say, they also told me that I needed an aftermarket arm that was shorter in length.

I guess they should figure out how much length is needed in order to return the wheels to factory specs.

I never got the aftermarket arm. #camber_life haha, just wasn't too worried about it. I like the way it looks, especially that it's really not too much camber at all.
Old 12-11-15, 05:37 PM
jackies
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I wouldn't think 0.3° extra camber (2.1° vs 1.8°) affects anything in any meaningful way. Just enjoy the ride.
Old 12-12-15, 07:45 AM
grunner58
Driver

Thanks for the input. I'm going to install a new 441.5mm OEM arm and have Goodyear recheck. Just bugs me that it's out of spec given the cost of tires (Michelin).
Old 12-12-15, 11:39 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by grunner58
Thanks for the input. I'm going to install a new 441.5mm OEM arm and have Goodyear recheck. Just bugs me that it's out of spec given the cost of tires (Michelin).
I see you're going with the shortest one, good luck with results. Report back of when you get it solved
Old 12-12-15, 05:10 PM
grunner58
Driver

Originally Posted by KING
I see you're going with the shortest one, good luck with results. Report back of when you get it solved
I will, should be by the end of the week. I assumed the stock was 446.5, so I dropped to the shorter arm at 441.5mm. We'll see.
Old 12-12-15, 06:10 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Slight negative rear camber is not unusual on LS. I have slight negative camber on my '01. However, the car steers straight at 80 mph, and I rotate every 5,000 with oil / filter change. Are you changing the arm simply to make it within "spec" or is the slightly out of spec camber causing something that you see in tire wear or feel when driving? Even the most sophisticated alignment machines have to be calibrated. The alignment machine can be slightly off giving a reading that is within a margin of error. For example, if you had the alignment checked at a Lexus dealer, the alignment readings would not be exactly the same as the readings given at Goodyear.
Old 12-12-15, 06:19 PM
grunner58
Driver

Originally Posted by Tom57
Slight negative rear camber is not unusual on LS. I have slight negative camber on my '01. However, the car steers straight at 80 mph, and I rotate every 5,000 with oil / filter change. Are you changing the arm simply to make it within "spec" or is the slightly out of spec camber causing something that you see in tire wear or feel when driving? Even the most sophisticated alignment machines have to be calibrated. The alignment machine can be slightly off giving a reading that is within a margin of error. For example, if you had the alignment checked at a Lexus dealer, the alignment readings would not be exactly the same as the readings given at Goodyear.
Excellent points Tom. I'm a sucker for "staying within the lines" and that is why I spent the $150 for the shorter arm. Simply to be within the lines. Goodyear claimed it is Hunter's latest laser equipment and only 1 year old. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 12-12-15, 07:44 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Excellent points Tom. I'm a sucker for "staying within the lines" and that is why I spent the $150 for the shorter arm. Simply to be within the lines. Goodyear claimed it is Hunter's latest laser equipment and only 1 year old. I'll let you know how it goes.
The difference in each rear arm is 5 mm = 1/2 cm (not insignificant). Is there a camber-equivalent number of degrees associated with a 5 mm change in the arm length? In other words, how many degrees does a 5 mm change in arm length equal? Ideally, you'd want to match the camber reading on the left rear (-1.0), which is only 1.3 degrees away from current. (As you observed, you don't want to cause positive camber.)

Thanks for sharing your results, grunner.

*My concern with alignment calibration is the possibility that actual readings could be -0.4 off of true/actual, which would mean that you are, in fact, within spec. What were the front wheel readings before adjustment? Were the front wheels showing excess negative camber?
**Also, how do you know you need a different size arm than the OEM? The bushings in the original OEM arm could be worn causing the slight excess negative camber, so you would need an OEM size arm replacement.

Last edited by Tom57; 12-12-15 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-13-15, 05:26 AM
grunner58
Driver

Originally Posted by Tom57
The difference in each rear arm is 5 mm = 1/2 cm (not insignificant). Is there a camber-equivalent number of degrees associated with a 5 mm change in the arm length? In other words, how many degrees does a 5 mm change in arm length equal? Ideally, you'd want to match the camber reading on the left rear (-1.0), which is only 1.3 degrees away from current. (As you observed, you don't want to cause positive camber.)

Thanks for sharing your results, grunner.

*My concern with alignment calibration is the possibility that actual readings could be -0.4 off of true/actual, which would mean that you are, in fact, within spec. What were the front wheel readings before adjustment? Were the front wheels showing excess negative camber?
**Also, how do you know you need a different size arm than the OEM? The bushings in the original OEM arm could be worn causing the slight excess negative camber, so you would need an OEM size arm replacement.
Excellent points. I noted when I ordered the arm that Lexus offered 3 different lengths for the LS430. I believe this is because of the negative camber issue that is not adjustable but I may be wrong on that. I wondered about having two different length arms on the car but kind of "winged it" by ordering the shorter arm in hopes that it will correct the problem beyond a possible bushing issue.
Old 12-14-15, 01:51 PM
grunner58
Driver

Crawled under the car which is slightly lifted by my 2 x 12" stacked board design that gives me 3.5" lift. Anyhow, the arm is a 446.5mm and that was OEM to the car. After reading the comments here, and online, I decided to order the 446.5mm length and cancel the 441.5mm Since the left side is also 446.5 I don't see any reason to mess with differing arm lengths.
Old 12-26-15, 11:34 AM
grunner58
Driver

Installed the RR Lateral Arm - Right 446.5 mm: 4874050040

Brought it back to Goodyear and it barely changed the camber setting by 1/10th but still left it out of spec. That's what I get for listening to a Goodyear Tech who assured me that replacing the arm would bring it back into spec.

The arm is very easy to replace and took about 30 minutes once jacked and on stands. I will probably go to Lexus and have the alignment done correctly as they left the steering wheel at about 11:30 when driving straight. Had to bring it back for a proper alignment. Ridiculous!
Old 12-26-15, 05:25 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Installed the RR Lateral Arm - Right 446.5 mm: 4874050040

Brought it back to Goodyear and it barely changed the camber setting by 1/10th but still left it out of spec. That's what I get for listening to a Goodyear Tech who assured me that replacing the arm would bring it back into spec.

The arm is very easy to replace and took about 30 minutes once jacked and on stands. I will probably go to Lexus and have the alignment done correctly as they left the steering wheel at about 11:30 when driving straight. Had to bring it back for a proper alignment. Ridiculous!
Oops, sorry to hear man.

Hopefully another alignment place can figure it out for you. If not, then as Tom was saying, it shouldn't really be a serious issue, so hopefully that makes you feel better about all of this.
Old 12-27-15, 10:50 AM
grunner58
Driver

Originally Posted by KING
Oops, sorry to hear man.

Hopefully another alignment place can figure it out for you. If not, then as Tom was saying, it shouldn't really be a serious issue, so hopefully that makes you feel better about all of this.
Turned into such an adventure and I posted it as a warning to stick with the dealer on alignment related issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another LS430 Rear Camber Out of Spec