LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Altenator died. Replacement options?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-15, 05:38 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Altenator died. Replacement options?

Hello everyone.
Yesterday my car died on the way to the shop to change rear brake pads. Tow truck and all, mechanich called awhile later and said the altenator went. That got me pissed: I replaced an altenator last summer for a Denso remanufactured unit. Exactly a year and a half the replacement lasted, with a year warranty on the part. How convenient huh?
Is there any other replacement altenators I should be looking at?
Old 12-09-15, 06:01 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
Hello everyone.
Yesterday my car died on the way to the shop to change rear brake pads. Tow truck and all, mechanic called awhile later and said the alternator went. That got me pissed: I replaced an alternator last summer for a Denso remanufactured unit. Exactly a year and a half the replacement lasted, with a year warranty on the part. How convenient huh?
Is there any other replacement altenators I should be looking at?
Maybe a dumb question but how did the mechanic verify that it is the alternator? Could it be a loose connection at the alternator?
If it is the alternator is there a warranty with the alternator? I bought an alternator from O'Reillys a few years ago with a lifetime warranty.

Test the alternator to make sure that it can start up the battery. If the battery is working properly and nothing is wrong with it, then it's the alternator that will more likely cause a problem. A simple test to check the working of the alternator is by running your car; and then unplugging the positive connection of the battery. If the car stops, then you most likely have a problem with the alternator. Another simple test is to check your interior lights. An alternator charges your battery when the car is running. If the interior and dashboard lights come on brightly but slowly start to fade, then it indicates a problem whit the alternator. It demonstrates that the alternator cannot keep a charge when the car is running. Another sign is that the car lights run brightly when you race your car, but when you slow it down, the lights start to lose power.
Old 12-09-15, 06:06 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tradosauru
Maybe a dumb question but how did the mechanic verify that it is the alternator? Could it be a loose connection at the alternator?
If it is the alternator is there a warranty with the alternator? I bought an alternator from O'Reillys a few years ago with a lifetime warranty.
He's a good mechanich and he was the one changing the thing last summer. Alternator had a 1 year warranty.
Old 12-09-15, 06:20 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

He's a good mechanich and he was the one changing the thing last summer. Alternator had a 1 year warranty.
If it was me I would be asking the mechanic to install an alternator with a longer warranty.
O'Reillys carry a Ultima brand alternator with a limited lifetime warranty.
Old 12-09-15, 06:25 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

I'd want to see the alternator; verify that it's truly a reman. Denso. Where did your mechanic get the Denso? Even though it's a 1-year warranty, I'd be looking for some concession, from the product supplier, as well as from the mechanic. It's an easy install, especially on a lift.
Old 12-09-15, 07:26 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

if your belt tensioner is failing you can cause damage to your alternator.i would have that checked out because of the 2nd failure of the alternator.a failing belt tensioner can cause failure of water pump and anything the belt is spinning.
Old 12-09-15, 08:08 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Another option, although this can be more of a pain, is remove the OEM alternator and take it to a shop to have it refurbished. Saves about $100. Either way I would go with Denso.
Old 12-09-15, 09:04 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Another option, although this can be more of a pain, is remove the OEM alternator and take it to a shop to have it refurbished. Saves about $100. Either way I would go with Denso.
thats what i did,totally happy.i also changed my belt tensioner,it was out of spec.
Old 12-09-15, 09:30 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

This is why I'm not crazy about the idea of replacing an alternator "preemptively" when you get high mileage. Even though you get a remanufactured one by the same brand, there is a difference with a Denso that's being pumped out of some rebuilding facility and one that's made new in a factory in Japan for new cars. You could be swapping one out that was better made than the replacement.

All sorts of OEMs have replacement parts division and then have parts they actually build for new cars. You go to to a GM dealership and some AC Delco parts will be from China, but that' snot the part the actual GM factory used. But they used to be one in the same.

If you really want to go all out, just buy a new one from a dealership, but otherwise they are all sort of crap shoots in my experience. It seems factory alternators will usually go for a lot longer than remanufactured ones.
Old 12-09-15, 09:35 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Just be ready to have the alternator decide when and where it wants to leave you stranded ...
Old 12-09-15, 11:00 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

The prices on Amazon are great and you can keep your core to boot. I am happy I replaced mine and don't have to worry about it.
Old 12-09-15, 11:25 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tom57
Just be ready to have the alternator decide when and where it wants to leave you stranded ...
But the Denso replacement left him stranded and died in only 18 months, the original went 10+ years.

Maybe there's more to it, but I know unless I get a crazy red flag that my original alternator is on its way out, I'm not going to replace it with a rebuilt one purely for having lots of miles on it.
Old 12-09-15, 12:06 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Coulter
But the Denso replacement left him stranded and died in only 18 months, the original went 10+ years.

Maybe there's more to it, but I know unless I get a crazy red flag that my original alternator is on its way out, I'm not going to replace it with a rebuilt one purely for having lots of miles on it.
You just stated the problem: typically, there is no "crazy red flag." These alternators can bench test fine and then quit without advance warning. That's not just my small sample size of examples, it comes from my Parts Mgr. at Lexus.

I understand where you are coming from (I held your opinion less than a year ago), but this PO's experience is the first I've heard of a true reman Denso failing after 18 months of use. It remains to be seen if it is a true Denso, and if there are other contributing factors to the failure (belt tensioner, etc.).
Old 12-09-15, 12:22 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tom57
You just stated the problem: typically, there is no "crazy red flag." These alternators can bench test fine and then quit without advance warning. That's not just my small sample size of examples, it comes from my Parts Mgr. at Lexus.

I understand where you are coming from (I held your opinion less than a year ago), but this PO's experience is the first I've heard of a true reman Denso failing after 18 months of use. It remains to be seen if it is a true Denso, and if there are other contributing factors to the failure (belt tensioner, etc.).

When I say a red flag, I mean something like while at idle, you're only putting out like 12 volts on your meter, then I'm all for replacing the alternator early as it's clearly on its way out.

But the idea of the alternator testing perfectly fine but replacing it anyway with a $150 rebuilt one because you have 100k miles seems like a risky bet to me and you might actually be setting yourself up for a failure you wouldn't have if you had stuck with the original. I remember swapping out an OEM alternator on a project car that was decades old but working fine with a new "high end" one that put out more amps and it went out in about a thousand miles.

To me, when you own an older car with 100k plus miles, the list of things you could replace preemptively is never ending.

I've had my fuel pump go out and leave me stranded, but is it really "smart" to just replace a fuel pump every 100k miles? Or my starter? I had an air shock develop a leak on a road trip and the car was almost immobile as it was bouncing on the bump stops.

Just a different perspective, I can see some things being that way if you have unique circumstances and where you are traveling. For me though, I've got a mobile phone and AAA.
Old 12-09-15, 01:26 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Coulter
When I say a red flag, I mean something like while at idle, you're only putting out like 12 volts on your meter, then I'm all for replacing the alternator early as it's clearly on its way out.

But the idea of the alternator testing perfectly fine but replacing it anyway with a $150 rebuilt one because you have 100k miles seems like a risky bet to me and you might actually be setting yourself up for a failure you wouldn't have if you had stuck with the original. I remember swapping out an OEM alternator on a project car that was decades old but working fine with a new "high end" one that put out more amps and it went out in about a thousand miles.

To me, when you own an older car with 100k plus miles, the list of things you could replace preemptively is never ending.

I've had my fuel pump go out and leave me stranded, but is it really "smart" to just replace a fuel pump every 100k miles? Or my starter? I had an air shock develop a leak on a road trip and the car was almost immobile as it was bouncing on the bump stops.

Just a different perspective, I can see some things being that way if you have unique circumstances and where you are traveling. For me though, I've got a mobile phone and AAA.
I wouldn't (and didn't) recommend replacing any LS OEM alternator at 100K miles (or any specific mileage) as "preventative maintenance." My '01 alternator didn't fail until 252K on the clock.There's no universal threshold mileage, but over 100K miles, the alternator should be regularly tested. (The dash idiot light doesn't warn until the battery or alternator have already quit.) The climate also affects the longevity of the alternator; so you can expect a longer life from an alternator in the northern states, than in the southern hotter climate.

If you own one LS or three, it's quite likely that you own a smartphone and have towing insurance too. Driving across multiple states and into Chicago, neither a smartphone nor towing can make up for being unexpectedly stranded. Everyone's circumstances and risk tolerances are, of course, different.

Quick Reply: Altenator died. Replacement options?