LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Over Fastened Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-15, 07:49 PM
kimsey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over Fastened Oil Filter

I'm at a lost getting it off with the oil filter pliers. I know someone has come across an insanely over tightened filter.

I may just take it to my local oil change place for them to atleast loosen it. I've already drained the oil. I'm going to refill with oil and hopefully the old filter doesn't harm the engine

Any input would be welcomed.
Old 11-27-15, 08:05 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's my input .... put on your big boy pants and get the filter off. Go buy a different filter wrench if you have to.
The following users liked this post:
FoxyRacer (02-17-20)
Old 11-27-15, 08:19 PM
kimsey
Driver School Candidate

Man, I've already bought several sized wrench's for it and it does nothing but strip it. I already bent the filter body with the pliers. This thing was tightened by Paul Bunyan himself.
Old 11-27-15, 08:27 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kimsey
Man, I've already bought several sized wrench's for it and it does nothing but strip it. I already bent the filter body with the pliers. This thing was tightened by Paul Bunyan himself.
Try a strap wrench - keep working at it until it comes off. Or you could skewer it with a screwdriver and use it to turn to filter. Some bunghole probably used a big wrench to tighten it. That's why it's best to put it on only hand tight.
Old 11-27-15, 09:12 PM
kimsey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Arcturus
Try a strap wrench - keep working at it until it comes off. Or you could skewer it with a screwdriver and use it to turn to filter. Some bunghole probably used a big wrench to tighten it. That's why it's best to put it on only hand tight.
Thanks for the reply. I'm picking this up tomorrow.

Amazon.com: Lisle 63600 Oil Filter Tool: Automotive Amazon.com: Lisle 63600 Oil Filter Tool: Automotive
Old 11-28-15, 07:49 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

yes hand tight. Tighten it until you feel the edge of the filter has made contact with the block, then go an additional 3/4 turn....this is plenty tight and will yield no leaks.
Old 11-28-15, 09:27 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

Start with something like a strap wrench or buy a socket that fits that specific oil filter, but if the filter is mangled and you are really desperate, you can stab a screwdriver through the oil filter and then use that to screw it off.

Old 11-28-15, 03:15 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I'm picking this up tomorrow.

Amazon.com: Lisle 63600 Oil Filter Tool: Automotive
That won't help if the filter is on extremely tight oil filter...trust me I found out the hard way it will just slip off. Also the screw driver through the oil filter trick is a bad idea. Unlike oil filters 20 years ago today's oil filters have very light metal skins so the screw driver will just tear through the filter skin while rendering the car undrivable.

Not cheap but there is a tool that does work. Get a set of 20 inch channel lock pliers and use those. I have had a pair of these for 30 years....my go to tool for super tight oil filter especially in tough leverage spots. The grip and leverage on 20 inch channel lock is about as good as it gets. And remember lefty loosey, righty tighty. Counter clockwise rotation unloosens an oil filter...easy to get confused when viewing upside down. And make sure it is firmly hand tightened only in the future.

Channellock 480 5-1/2-Inch Jaw Capacity 20-Inch Tongue and Groove Plier - - Amazon.com Channellock 480 5-1/2-Inch Jaw Capacity 20-Inch Tongue and Groove Plier - - Amazon.com
Old 11-28-15, 03:25 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Channel locks for oil filters:
TEKTON 5866 12-Inch Oil Filter Pliers - Automotive Oil Filter Pliers - Amazon.com TEKTON 5866 12-Inch Oil Filter Pliers - Automotive Oil Filter Pliers - Amazon.com
Old 11-28-15, 03:33 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 377 Likes on 255 Posts

I have heard that over tightening the oil filter has been referred to as "dealership tight" by some of the oil change places. It may just be a phrase intended to earn return business but I have heard it in several situations.

It would be interesting to hear if other members have any stories of going from dealer only services to DIY or to a less expensive shop and run into similar situations......

Hope you are successful in removing the old filter and not have any damage.....
Old 11-28-15, 03:55 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck05
I have heard that over tightening the oil filter has been referred to as "dealership tight" by some of the oil change places. It may just be a phrase intended to earn return business but I have heard it in several situations.

It would be interesting to hear if other members have any stories of going from dealer only services to DIY or to a less expensive shop and run into similar situations......

Hope you are successful in removing the old filter and not have any damage.....
Every time I have had trouble getting a filter off, it has been because I didn't have enough time to change my own oil and took it to a shop. I have found many places have been guilty of this - dealer, Mr. Lube, Costco, etc. I don't know what they are doing and why, but it is very annoying and time-consuming to deal with their mess. I sympathize with the OP.
Old 11-28-15, 09:16 PM
paul29
Driver School Candidate

Ever try a Vise Grip chain wrench, wrap it close to the base of the filter as it is heavy metal there.
Old 11-29-15, 03:20 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 681 Likes on 464 Posts

Try one of these strap-type tool...
Amazon.com: Motion Pro 08-0069 Oil Filter Strap Wrench: Automotive Amazon.com: Motion Pro 08-0069 Oil Filter Strap Wrench: Automotive
Locate the band as close to the base of the filter as you can.

Worst case scenario, the entire base for oil filter may be removed so you have more room to work...

Last edited by rkw77080; 11-29-15 at 03:36 AM.
Old 11-29-15, 06:55 PM
volson
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm at a lost getting it off with the oil filter pliers. I know someone has come across an insanely over tightened filter.

I may just take it to my local oil change place for them to atleast loosen it. I've already drained the oil. I'm going to refill with oil and hopefully the old filter doesn't harm the engine

Any input would be welcomed.
Buy the swivel type wrench. There is a lot of clearance for putting good pressure on it.
Old 11-30-15, 04:08 AM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you say you have stripped and bent the filter, at this point in time I don't see an option to refill oil and drive to local oil change place. Take any of the above choices and go at it until it breaks loose. Personally - I use a strap to break loose filters that are tighter than they should be. Otherwise, I can loosen my oil filters with just a filter wrench and minor muscle usage.

Quick Reply: Over Fastened Oil Filter