LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

The Michelin Tire Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-15, 05:17 PM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought I explained why to me they aren't worth the money. I never said the tires were bad tires and I never said the DWS tires where better. In my opinion there are very good tires out there for less money so in my opinion, the P7's aren't "worth" the extra money over those tires. When you put 25k-30k on the P7's and can test them in a good downpour and snow, let us know how they perform. Maybe they will be worth the $130 in extra cost.
Old 11-24-15, 05:19 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Mine go on tomorrow, never owned Pirellis, we shall see!

Yeah poor any SOB stuck with a Saab lol
Can't wait for your reviews!
Old 11-24-15, 05:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmyown
I thought I explained why to me they aren't worth the money.
Once I pressed you. Originally this is all you said:

The Pirelli P-7's are not worth the money,
That was it. As somebody who has been looking around for real world opinions on a variety of tires I ask you to not talk about tires you don't have any experience with. It makes what is already confusing and contradicting even moreso.

Originally Posted by Lavrishivo
Can't wait for your reviews!
Will be sure to post it!
Old 11-24-15, 07:05 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Brewmyown and SW15......nice game of ping pong there....glad it wasnt me for once. Brew I found your post about the MXV4 to be from you personal experience and I believed every word of it. I have actually hydroplaned out of control only once in my life and it was driving on Michelin Energys w good tread on the tire.....I cant go back in time to find out which exact model they were....but I had them replaced immediately. Im not sure what happened to cause the hydro...and if other tires would have done the same....but sure scared the crap out of me. Anyway I am trying to lay low in Lavs thread because it really doesnt involve me...Im just gathering knowledge for future tire purchases. Without stirring the pot I would be curious to see if the Michelin group from the other thread would say about some of the surprising comments made about the MXV4 in this thread. I was expecting all 5 star reviews across the board.....but really just like a large swath of reviews on Tire Rack what u find is 3 people love them then the next person would not purchase again.....drywall cracking...hydro planing....braking distance......In fact the P7s were bashed for not getting a 10 in wet handling or something like that I had no idea the MXV4 had wet traction issues......Brewmyown......I dont think your verbiage about the P7s was intentionally bashing the tire but I too immediately was looking for a WHY? Oh noooo they arent worth the money....in the end I see you were just saying a quickie about your personal way of thinking. I did feel that your quick sentence may have inadvertently steered someone clear of a good tire though. Being that SW had just ordered a set of P7s clarity was needed, thats all.
Brew I will be curious to hear your reviews of your next tire. You drive a ton of miles in a harsh environment. It will be hard for you to find a tire that will give u the best of all worlds.

SW.....Im anxious to read your review. I can only hope that it is a positive one. I assume u will post on the other thread...I will be looking for it.
Old 11-25-15, 05:47 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

What is consistent is the lack of consistency across reviews, for the most part. I personally don't have hydroplaning issues with my 85% worn out MXV4's. Maybe some do. Maybe some people expect to drive 90 mph in the rain and keep traction. It's hard to say. I do know that when speaking with various tire shops that the Premier's, MXV4's, and P7's are all well liked and recommended. I also had a really good experience with Hankook Optima H727's on another Sedona I used to own.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....reMake=Hankook
Old 11-25-15, 06:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think with reviews any time you have a tire that comes OEM the reviews aren't as good, and a tire that doesn't ship OEM has better reviews. I think people review the OEM tires at the end of their life, and the new tires at the beginning and it presents as a bias.

If you look up reviews for the Pirelli P7 (not the Plus), thats an OEM tire, reviews aren't nearly as good.
Old 11-25-15, 08:49 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Very interesting.
Im a black and white kinda guy. I get frustrated when smoke and mirror tricks are played by the MFR. It just makes it that much harder to figure out. I guess we can draw decent conclusions with a ton of reviews...but given a lot of human error and OEM vs retail...it certainly clouds the opinions. Clearly the MXV4 is loved by all that have had it installed on a LS430.......and it has proven to be a crazy long tread life tire.....just like any tire like LAV said...when you are on your last quarter of tread life u need to take it easy and not drive like a wild man through heavy rain.
Old 11-25-15, 04:31 PM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

SW, you "asked me not to talk about something I don't have experience with"? Wow, I didn't know I needed permission to express an opinion. A least for now we are still free to do so anytime we choose to. Every comment or review is a personal opinion. It's the way they see it. It can have many variables to base that opinion. How a tire feels, rides, handles, etc. are all subjective. One persons butt may feel a tire rides horribly and another persons butt may think it's smooth as silk. Is one person wrong? I dont need to buy a set of tires that are 20% more than I tire I have favorable experience with to find out if they are worth it or not. To me they are not. There, I said it again they're not worth the money. And I don't have to add "in my opinion" before making a statement. You can just assume if I say it, it's my opinion.

Believe it or not, even if someone has a tire they are commenting on, it doesn't mean it's true. It's an opinion, THIER opinion. I read every opinion or review with a Little skepticism. When it comes to tires, I don't think (in my opinion) anyone can make a thorough evaluation or review without driving at least a full four seasons and preferably about half the life of the tire. Any decent tire is going to feel good for 5,000 miles.

Whew, I have to go fill up my glass again with some fine home brew. No hard feelings. Just some friendly banter Fire back if you like but I think I've expressed my "opinion" enough for now. I hope your tires are all you hope them to be. Have a Happy Thanksgiving......
Old 11-25-15, 04:41 PM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

JP, first let me start by saying I'm not bashing your tire choice. I've red MANY of your comments and you seem to be on a quest to find some negative reviews on the P7 plus. I buy tires locally from a place called Discount Tire. Take a look at some of the reviews on the P7 plus. There may be a couple you'll find interesting. My tires are 225/55/17. Search for those in the P7 plus and the first review that pops up is one with 30,000 miles on them. They need replacing already. Again one persons experience / opinion so no need to panic. There are many other very good reviews there also. I breeze right past tire reviews with a few hundred miles on the. I like to see the 10,000 plus reviews.
Old 11-25-15, 04:51 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Yikes......its the tire thread demons.......its just a very minor miscommunication that for some reason gets blown way out of proportion in a tire thread. I can speak to this because I myself lost my mind with Bob on my tire thread....I couldnt believe how defensive i was.....it was all about how words were presented vs what was actually being said. Both u guys are very cool and knowledgeable.....take it from me....put it to bed before it dives way to deep. Its a tire thread thing......

Ha....deep down inside I still think I was right ironically it was SW15 that kept me somewhat level headed during that time of whackyness.......
Old 11-25-15, 05:03 PM
TTBomB
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

My 2 cents. I had the MXV4 on my previous Acura Legend. I also experience poor wet handling when the tires wore down. I have no experience with them on the LS but I did purchase a set of P7 Plus this year. So far put 10k miles on them with no issues, wet or dry. Quiet, handle well, etc. Very happy so far. I will not be running them in the winters because I have a set of Loud *** Blizzaks to put on ;-)
Carry on....
Old 11-25-15, 05:11 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks TBOMB thats the first review I have read with that many miles...glad they are working out for you.
Old 11-25-15, 05:12 PM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jpv7774
Yikes......its the tire thread demons.......its just a very minor miscommunication that for some reason gets blown way out of proportion in a tire thread. I can speak to this because I myself lost my mind with Bob on my tire thread....I couldnt believe how defensive i was.....it was all about how words were presented vs what was actually being said. Both u guys are very cool and knowledgeable.....take it from me....put it to bed before it dives way to deep. Its a tire thread thing......

Ha....deep down inside I still think I was right ironically it was SW15 that kept me somewhat level headed during that time of whackyness.......
I read many of your comments in that thread. That was some good entertainment. It doesn't always have to be serious does it?
Old 11-25-15, 05:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brewmyown
SW, you "asked me not to talk about something I don't have experience with"? Wow, I didn't know I needed permission to express an opinion. A least for now we are still free to do so anytime we choose to. Every comment or review is a personal opinion. It's the way they see it. It can have many variables to base that opinion. How a tire feels, rides, handles, etc. are all subjective. One persons butt may feel a tire rides horribly and another persons butt may think it's smooth as silk. Is one person wrong? I dont need to buy a set of tires that are 20% more than I tire I have favorable experience with to find out if they are worth it or not. To me they are not. .
Thats just it, you don't have any experience by which to form an opinion. I'm not telling you to go out and buy a set of tires to try them out, buy what works for you, just don't post something discouraging when you haven't tried the product. Talk about the tires you have.

Everyone has the right to an opinion, I just suppose its a matter of using personal judgement to determine whether or not one's opinion is of value to those around them.
Old 11-25-15, 05:35 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Brew......phew....I didnt realize u had a post for me too when I sent the last one....looks like I didnt ruffle your feathers. Hell no it doesnt have to be serious. I love talkin a little trash or what have u....but in my tire thread I really did get pissed. My wife thought I was an idiot for getting all wound up. For me it was these wild curve ***** coming at me with nothing to back them up...and a lot of irrational statements coming from grown men......yes it was kind of fun going to battle with Bob.....I hope u guys enjoyed it....but in the end I learned these same people I am arguing with in a tire thread are really cool in a stereo or spark plug thread. So I am still very interested in learning more about tires. I still dont have enough miles on my tire to stand behind it like the MXV4 guys. Ha I am not sure my goal is to find negative info about the P7s......I think my goal has shifed over the last year or so......but it has always been to find the best tire for our car....period. Then it became ...i would love some reassurance on the tire that I bought........and now it is...I wonder how these tires do in the long run.

But for me.....I am gunna do my darnedest to stay out of tire thread battles......even though your sentence was f'd up......whoa!!!!!!!! kidding.....just kidding. What do u mean not worth the money!!!! Stop being so cheap.....that wasnt me Brew,,,,,,,I didnt say that......whats 75 bucks over 5 years anyway? Help me!!!!!! I cant stop myselfffffffffffffff.....nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quick Reply: The Michelin Tire Review Thread