LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

The Michelin Tire Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-15, 07:04 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I was thinking about selling the LS warm but I am really glad I did not. I would definitely have a case of LS Regret if I did. After having fun in the WRX it's nice to get back in the serenity and comfort of the LS.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 11-21-15 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-21-15, 07:10 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
No mine are 18s, that's why I got a 460 with the 18s instead of the 19s. The 19s on the 460 have 45 series tires, same as the 18s on the 430.

I don't think 17s will fit over the 460s brakes, and even then the 460 has an unusual bolt pattern, so older Lexus wheels for instance won't work.
17" wheels with high caliper clearance I'm sure would fit but might be harder to find. It's the same story to clear 430 front calipers. I believe disk clearance is the proper term but I can't exactly remember. Honestly, I would rather have a 17" wheel on the WRX and may switch at some point. I'm at 225/40/r18 and they are like rocks going over rough road which, is all too common in NJ and NY.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 11-21-15 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-21-15, 07:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
9/15/15 Lavrishevo...... thinking of selling my car "want something sportier and fun to drive" Hence the WRX. I did not mean to denigrate or cut down the LS SW or anyone else. Just echoing some other sentiments heard on this forum as recent as 2 months ago. With better handling the thing is a keeper. I think the reason I feel it suffers little from a jarring ride is 18's are such a big tire and has softer tread compound for cold temps.

SW did anyone ever tell ya you have a stubborn streak? Just having fun
Me? Stubborn? Never

I still don't believe a simple set of tires will provide all of the handling claims that you've made.

I wouldn't put the 18s on the 430 either, same reason why I didn't get the 19s for the 460. The 18s on e 460 have much higher sidewall tires than those on the 430.

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
17" wheels with high caliper clearance I'm sure would fit but might be harder to find. It's the same story to clear 430 front calipers. I believe disk clearance is the proper term but I can't exactly remember. Honestly, I would rather have a 17" wheel on the WRX and may switch at some point. I'm at 225/40/r18 and they are like rocks going over rough road which, is all too common in NJ and NY.
It's more a function of the sidewall height than the wheel diameter. If you had 60 series tires on a 20" wheel it would ride as well as 60 series tires on a 16" wheel.

When the 430 was designed 16s were the standard wheel, and 17s were optional. They added 18s to the car as an option in 2004, but they had to put them on quite low 45 series tires to make them fit. When they designed the 460 they deigned it around 18s base, and gave them taller sidewalls to help with ride complaints on the 18s on the 430.

The 18s look best in the 430, and the 19s look best on the 460 but not worth the ride penalty on this car.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-21-15 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-24-15, 06:12 AM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The MXV4's are a great tire as far as lasting a long time and having decent dry traction but they lose traction for rain and snow VERY quickly. I have about 50,000 on mine and there's plenty of tread left. Probably another 20k!So far they've been through two winter seasons. The first winter and last winter where like night and day. Also, I'd say with about 20k the hydroplaning got really bad. Do you get a lot of miles out of them, absolutely. If I lived in a dry climate they would be the tire for me but even though I probably got another 20k of tread left I'm looking to get a new set put on before the winter really hits and I would not buy another set of them. I would rather have a tire that has good all around traction for 40k-50k and needs replacing than a tire that loses the wet and snow traction after 20k but will last 60k or more on dry pavement. I dive 80 miles a day to and from the office in Chicago weather so I want a good all around tire. The MXV4's are good for maybe a year of all around driving, after that, they are a dry weather tire only. I've had these on two different cars (rear wheel on the LS and front wheel on the Acura TLS) and they behaved the exact same way. I love the miles you can get out of them but I would not buy another set for the climate where I live.

The Pirelli P-7's are not worth the money, my care had Proxes when I bought it and they had plenty of tread but sidewall cracks galore. I may go back to Continental and trying the DWS06. I had a set (previous model tire) on my TLS for about 25k before I sold it for the LS and they were great in rain and snow.
Old 11-24-15, 07:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brewmyown
The Pirelli P-7's are not worth the money, my care had Proxes when I bought it and they had plenty of tread but sidewall cracks galore.
Not sure how your experience with Toyo Proxes leads you to believe that Pirelli P7s, an entirely different tire from an entirely different manufacturer are not worth the money

Thats like saying "A Lexus isn't worth the money, I owned an Acura once and it wasn't great".
Old 11-24-15, 07:31 AM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

I wasn't comparing the two. What I meant was that I had Proxes and they where crap AND the Perelli P7's are not worth the money relating to my next choice for tires. Two personal observations / opinions but unrelated to each other with regards to the tires themselves.
Old 11-24-15, 08:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Default The Michelin Tire Review Thread

What is it about them you don't feel make them worth the money?
Old 11-24-15, 01:40 PM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Where I live the P7 Plus are $776 OTD and the Continental DSW06 are $642 OTD. The Michelin Primacy MXV4 are $724 and Premier A/S are $815. I'm not going back to Michelin because of my personal experience with the terrible wet and snow traction they have after one season so when looking at and researching tires, the Continental DWS06 seemed like a quality tire at a good price. The P7's seem to be a good tire also but Its uncharted water for me. I have had the previous DWS tire and liked it very much. Even with mileage on them, the wet and snow driving was still very good and its $130 less than the P7's.

I couldn't pass up the MXV4's I have now. They were on ebay brand new with wheels for $800 from a Lexus dealer. Like I said, in dry weather, they are great and last forever. Mine can easily go another 10k or more (about 50k on them now) but for the last 25k or so, they are scary in a decent rain and are horrible in the snow.
Old 11-24-15, 01:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm still not sure where you have the experience with the tires to say that they're "not worth the money". I've shopped for a lot of tires, and I have never seen a tire with the universally excellent reviews those tires have, on Tire Rack, off Tire Rack, basically everywhere.

To say "they're not worth the money" is a pretty bold statement if you don't have some sort of experience to refute all of that.
Old 11-24-15, 01:58 PM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

They are not worth the money to me personally. The reason being is that I have had a very good experience with the DWS tires and my thought is why would I spend $776 to try something someone said was a good tire when I can spend $134 less and have a set of tires I know are good because I've had them previously. To me, that's not worth the money.
Old 11-24-15, 02:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you've never had a set, how would you know? If you have a tire that you're happy with thats fine, but as someone who just spent 2 months on here and elsewhere trying to decide what tires to buy people do use the information here to decide what to buy.

Talk about the tires you have experience with, and leave other tires out there for others to comment on who have had experience with them.
Old 11-24-15, 02:33 PM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Ok so I should spend $134 more to SEE if I like a set of tires over a tire I have liked very much previously. Doesn't make sense to me and therefore not WORTH the added cost. I'm sure they are very good tires as many reviews have stated in many places. I'm just not going to spend $134 more over a tire I know I will like from actually having them. Not saying they are not good tires but they are not worth $134 more to me. How do you know that the DWS tires are not better than the P7's? I never said one tire was better than the other, just that the added cost is not worth it to me. If I took a chance and bought the P7's, to make sense to me financially, they'd have to perform 20% better than the DWS tires since they are 20% more in cost. Can the P7's have 20% better traction in rain and snow? Maybe but that's a tall order and its not something I want to spend $134 more to find out. I drive about 25,000 miles a year so I "use" it. For me, the real test of a tire where I live is wet and snow traction. There are a lot of tires I've had that are great when its dry but very few that perform well in wet and snow. If I can get 2 good full seasons out of a tire, I consider that a good tire.

So the term "worth' I used was that compared to a known good tire that I have used and am very happy with, the P7's are not "worth" the extra money to me.

For what its worth, I raved about the MXV4's when I first got them but in one full season of use that opinion went away quickly. For me they quickly became scary bad in heavier rain and terrible in the snow.
Old 11-24-15, 05:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brewmyown
How do you know that the DWS tires are not better than the P7's?
I don't...nor do I say that they are...because I don't know.

Thats my point, when you just make a statement "The P7s aren't worth the money" without any backstory to that statement somebody takes that as a negative assessment of the tires.
Old 11-24-15, 05:09 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I don't...nor do I say that they are...because I don't know.

Thats my point, when you just make a statement "The P7s aren't worth the money" without any backstory to that statement somebody takes that as a negative assessment of the tires.
I have a coworker with a pos Saab. Or as I call the Sob Story... Lol. He is a Perelli fan and I showed the reviews on the P7 as he needed tires this week and was not interested in Michelin. They are great tires. Hard to counter this with the amount of reviews they have.
Old 11-24-15, 05:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Mine go on tomorrow, never owned Pirellis, we shall see!

Yeah poor any SOB stuck with a Saab lol

Quick Reply: The Michelin Tire Review Thread