LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

oscillating vents

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-15, 08:50 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default oscillating vents

when pushing the o/v switch the vanes move from center to the right, then to the left and then stop. No more movement.
I switch OFF, then ON, then they work the same pattern: to the right, then left then stop.

Anybody's insight? Cannot find anything in the Search
Old 11-04-15, 10:21 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Their behavior changes based on the temperature, whether the it's cooling or heating, the number of occupants in the car and whether the car is in direct sunlight (and other factors).

Try it with the car in different environmental conditions to see if it behaves differently.
Old 11-04-15, 11:04 PM
semar
Advanced

Like it is saying: try to figure out what I am doing
The manual is very vague about that.
I will observe it. Should I leave the switch on or would this burn out the motor if the vanes not moving
Or just shut it off altogether. Heat or cooling is coming out anyway
Its just such a nice feature
Old 11-05-15, 03:44 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

That is odd. I have never seen mine stop or change behavior based on temperature.
Old 11-05-15, 08:05 AM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

The programmed behaviors are on page 9 of the attached marketing propaganda, however I have witnessed them all personally.
But seriously, the brochure is actually a really good read if you haven't.

My ex didn't have her license so I spent a lot of time doing a lot of waiting in the car. I didn't mind it though: it was always a pleasure waiting in the LS.

For example, we arrive somewhere and she'd get out. The vents would immediately move from being split like so \\ // to being like so \\ || then immediately back to \\ // when she would return.
Does this every time.
They also change the swing pattern as the car cools down on hot days going from staying in a wide \\ // when it's hot and changing to a slow swing as the car cools inside.
They also switch to a wide \\ // when the car goes into direct sunlight.
All seems to depend additionally on what temperature you're trying to achieve inside so the behavior is different when it's set to 19c as opposed to 22c.

I believe the 460 adds actual temperature probes to the mix to check the occupants directly.

We own very intelligent cars.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LS430_English.pdf (2.23 MB, 1055 views)
Old 11-05-15, 08:12 AM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love this feature and passengers are always mesmerized by their action. Had the same feature on a 90's vintage Mazda 626 but certainly not as sophisticated.
I always keep them on and have observed that on startup, if the car is too warm they will do a little pirouette and then focus both vents on the driver side to cool off that side. If there is a front seat passenger then after the pirouette the driver side vent will focus on the driver and the passenger vent on the passenger. Same thing with heating. After the sensors realize the ambient air has reached the desired temp they will begin their normal oscillation back and forth. Pretty cool (pardon pun) stuff.
Old 11-05-15, 08:36 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow never would I even have guessed this much technology is put in to those vents. #hiddengem
Old 11-05-15, 12:25 PM
Anthony81
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've noticed that when one side is set to a much higher or lower temperature that will also affect the swing.
Old 11-05-15, 01:35 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Each time I've changed my battery this feature would come on. Never knew I even had until I disconnected my battery one time. Personally, for me, I find it annoying and keep it off. Even here in the brutal heat of Florida, the a/c works so well in my car I don't like it blowing directly on me anyway.
Old 11-05-15, 04:28 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
Wow never would I even have guessed this much technology is put in to those vents. #hiddengem
This description from the 2004 LS catalog:

Walt
Attached Thumbnails oscillating vents-100_1498.jpg  
Old 11-06-15, 09:53 AM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by dfkd
I believe the 460 adds actual temperature probes to the mix to check the occupants directly.
Only the Executive Package has the infrared body temperature sensor, and it only senses the rear passengers. I drove in one once and didn't think it did much. I think the 460 is a step down in climate control without the auto swing louvers....it was probably a cost cutting measure to delete them.
Old 11-06-15, 04:15 PM
semar
Advanced

I read thru the various comments and links.
Maybe there is no problem with it at all, It just does its own thing depending on the (so many) situations.
It did not bother me when the vanes stopped at the left swing setting. Air still flowed. It just puzzled me and not having an LS before I did not know what to make of it
Old 11-06-15, 07:24 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I can definitely confirm passengers prefer the 12 year old UL over the WRX. Really, the best part of the UL is for those riding in the back. Maybe I will start using this feature more.
Old 11-06-15, 07:37 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aypues
Only the Executive Package has the infrared body temperature sensor, and it only senses the rear passengers. I drove in one once and didn't think it did much. I think the 460 is a step down in climate control without the auto swing louvers....it was probably a cost cutting measure to delete them.
Or they just realized it did nothing. Notice that much better cars, like the S550 and S600 Maybach, do not have this option, either.
Old 11-07-15, 10:59 AM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dfkd
Sounds like and alien abduction ...

Quick Reply: oscillating vents