LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Finally fixed my front end clunking noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-15, 05:03 PM
abbyNormal
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Finally fixed my front end clunking noise

I've had a clunking noise on my 2005 since I picked it up in July. It's most apparent when the left front wheel drops off a curb when doing a right turn. I've had the car up on the lift 3-4 times (while doing other stuff) and never found anything lose or worn out. Yes I checked/tightened the camber bolts. The noise sounded like something heavy held on with a bracket and that bracket was lose or maybe the brake pads were rattling around (which they aren't).

Couple of weeks ago I did the front struts since, at 91k, it's probably time and I thought maybe a strut (or mount) was damaged or something. Didn't change or eliminate the noise but certainly helped road feel. Need to do the rears now.

The lower control arm bushings looked OK, but had cracks in them, so they were on my list. Finally got around to doing them today. Fixed the problem completely.

I still have no idea how a worn LCA bushing could lead to the noise I heard, but it's gone and I ain't complainin'.

AN
Old 10-31-15, 05:20 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Good job. They are the most common.
Old 11-01-15, 11:54 AM
tkblazer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats not surprising considering how much movement there is at that lower bushing. I've been getting some occasional shakes when braking and when cruising at highway speeds on my car with 60k on them. I'm going to order some genb offset bushings soon.

Here is a video from Fig's showing the lca bushing on an isf which shares a similar lca bushing setup that we have. I wonder if their bushing set will fit our cars.

Old 11-01-15, 08:38 PM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by abbyNormal
I still have no idea how a worn LCA bushing could lead to the noise I heard, but it's gone and I ain't complainin'.

AN
Which bushing(s) did you replace? The entire lower control arm or bushing 2, or rear bushing?? I'm ready to do this but need to know what to replace just to be proactive and regain a new car feel.. I didn't want to replace the entire lower control arm if I didn't have to. I know about the rear bushing and No.2 and that's about it. I had my suspension checked and they couldn't find a problem but

Thanks!

Last edited by KawiLex; 11-01-15 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-01-15, 09:33 PM
abbyNormal
Driver

Originally Posted by KawiLex
Which bushing(s) did you replace? The entire lower control arm or bushing 2, or rear bushing?? I'm ready to do this but need to know what to replace just to be proactive and regain a new car feel.. I didn't want to replace the entire lower control arm if I didn't have to. I know about the rear bushing and No.2 and that's about it. I had my suspension checked and they couldn't find a problem but

Thanks!
Just the rear bushing(of the front lower arm). PN is 4865550012, for both right and left. It's the big one that's pressed into a bracket with 2 bolts holding it to the chassis. You don't need to remove the control arm to replace it. On a lift it's pretty quick to do. Remove the plastic under-cover, pop off the two chassis bolts and the one control arm nut and slide it off (needed a pry bar to slightly pull the LCA down to slide it off). I needed the "extra powerful" impact to get the one control arm nut off; the shop's standard impacts weren't up to the job.

Also, a few notes on the bushing: There is no lip on the bushing housing; I think you can press it out in either direction. I got it out with a 20 ton press. No issues except that first 'pop' is pretty scary. You need a cup that's just slightly smaller than the bushing on top and a cup that slightly larger than the bushing underneath. Sorry I didn't measure. I more or less used this:
Amazon.com: Schley (SCH11100) Manual Bushing R and R Tool Set: Automotive Amazon.com: Schley (SCH11100) Manual Bushing R and R Tool Set: Automotive

I say more or less because I used old wheel bearings and a press to pop the bushing out about 1/2 an inch. Then I used the right sized cup from that kit on the bottom of the bracket to continue pushing the bushing out.
Old 11-01-15, 11:17 PM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Thanks. That youtube video showing the flex on that bushing is crazy.. I didn't think it was getting as much action as it looks like on that video. Of course that's a sportier car but I'm sure it wouldn't be too much different.
Old 11-02-15, 03:58 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

The flex and give in the bushes is a good thing unless you like feeling road imperfections. This is why those who use poly consistently note the degradation of ride quality.
Old 11-02-15, 02:38 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Great video. Mine have been cracked for 5 years. No vibrations, noises, tire wear etc. I guess so far I'm lucky...
Old 11-03-15, 11:12 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Great video. Mine have been cracked for 5 years. No vibrations, noises, tire wear etc. I guess so far I'm lucky...
It's one of those things you don't really notice until it's been replaced.

It's sort of like motor mounts, once you get them replaced you discover how smooth it was "supposed" to be

But if you're happy with the ride and have no alignment issues, it's probably fine to carry on
Old 11-03-15, 02:08 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Coulter
It's one of those things you don't really notice until it's been replaced.

It's sort of like motor mounts, once you get them replaced you discover how smooth it was "supposed" to be

But if you're happy with the ride and have no alignment issues, it's probably fine to carry on
I'm extremely fanatical and particular. Car drives straight as an arrow on the highway, tires wear as they should, no clunks or any front end noises other than pads shifting when moving back and forward. I'll hold on until things change. We all have old cars now and they will never be new again. My thinking is only fix and replace what is necessary.
Old 11-04-15, 02:06 AM
PersianOne
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I have yet to replace my LCA bushings. My driver side front has serious clunking when going over potholes or rough roads. I am pretty sure it is the LCA bushings that need replacing. These are liquid filled, no? Where did you buy your replacement parts from?
Old 11-04-15, 10:41 AM
abbyNormal
Driver

Originally Posted by PersianOne
Yeah, I have yet to replace my LCA bushings. My driver side front has serious clunking when going over potholes or rough roads. I am pretty sure it is the LCA bushings that need replacing. These are liquid filled, no? Where did you buy your replacement parts from?
I've heard they are oil filled but can't confirm.

I ordered mine from mylparts.com. You can use the code CL5 on checkout to get a discount. I'm in CA (they are too) and I get stuff way quick from them. They are great!