LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Help...advice on suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-15, 04:50 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Help...advice on suspension

Have an 02 ultra with 93k on it. It is in incredible condition.....except for leaking struts and possibly an airbag (that's what Lexus cert. tech told me...I'm not sure what the difference is between leaking strut and leaking bag)

Business has been lousy, so I don't think I will replace air struts. He is looking to replace with traditional struts coils, etc. He wants to use OEM, but he buys from the manufacturers, and are out of stock right now. He would prefer not to do a kit.

Questions: Is it worth pursuing after market air shocks? (http://www.ebay.com/itm/251325786690?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)

Should I buy a conversion kit, and if so, which one?

Is it worth looking for Lexus scrap parts to use (coils and springs...not air)?

I really appreciate the advice.
Old 10-27-15, 08:00 PM
GH5T
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check Amazon. KYB set of 4 shocks $447.99// Tanabe Spring set NF210 $241.97 rides like stock springs but lowers the car about an inch. From what I've heard stay away from the all in one kits out side of a quality coil-over kit.
Old 10-27-15, 08:12 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

something I want to share with you since I am presently changing the airsuspension to coilover:
You need all the components of the OEM stock struts, nothing from the airsuspension can be used. I bought Bilstein B14. It will run 1400-1600 by the time the dust has settled plus the cost of the OEM stock components plus you will need a complete 4wheel alignment -anothe 100 or so.
For the price of the coilovers I can sell you a COMPLETE set of lowmileage airstruts
Old 10-27-15, 08:52 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

boy if i were you I'd jump on the set that semar is selling, assuming he offers at a decent price. It really is not a big deal to repair a leaking/failing air strut, just find one used and put it in. Much much less hassle than doing a swap for regular shocks. If semar's set doesn't work out, just wait a bit and you'll likely find an acceptable one within a month or so, quite possibly sooner. I found a singleton for 175$ which turned out to be for the wrong rear side, and then found a good used set for $500 plus shipping.
Old 10-28-15, 04:22 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

KYB are the best shocks. They are OEM. I also sourced a nice used set of air-shocks when I purchased the car and they have been in a box for going on 5 years now. But it's nice to have them for when I need them. To convert, the hardware is not much. Shock mounts and some hardware bolts. If you convert make sure to leave the height sensors alone and in place and kill power to the compressor. RockAuto also has everything you need.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 10-30-15 at 02:42 AM.
Old 10-28-15, 11:02 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 117 Posts

If your budget is really tight, I'd try to source a used set of steel springs and struts from a local salvage yard.

I would guess all new Lexus springs, struts, and strut mounts for a conversion are probably around $1,500 in parts plus labor from a dealership. Aftermarket parts could probably cut that number in half. Plus labor. But a single new air strut from Lexus is around a $1,000, so a set of 4 could be $4,000. Plus you could need height sensors down the road which are a few hundred a piece, etc.

It's all according to your budget and what you're willing to gamble. If you can source a used set of air struts for the right price, that could also be an option. Just remember though yours blew out at 93k miles.
Old 10-28-15, 04:29 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

has anybody here actually spent $1000 on an air strut? Who really does that? I mean...we all know how much they cost new but the point is that you can certainly find solid used ones for far far less. the proper compare is between a decent used air strut versus conversion or even just a new regular shock at a hundred bucks a piece. You are highly likely to get the same mileage out of both more or less.
Old 10-28-15, 04:45 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The PO changed THREE at 1100 each plus labor.
Just depends what you want and what you can afford
The trick will be, to find out from an ebay seller or junk yard how much use they had. Obviously the old saying goes: you get what you pay for.
You have a luxury car with all the bells and whistles. If you want to make a Corolla out of it it will show when the time comes to sell it.
I see plenty of LS where money does not seem to be a problem. When they drop 20 grand for superchargers and other "goodies", airbags do not seem to be an issue
Old 10-29-15, 06:41 AM
rrgone
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo

Questions: Is it worth pursuing after market air shocks? (Air Lift Lexus LS 430 2001 2006 Performance Rear Air Ride Suspension Kit 75653 | eBay)

I really appreciate the advice.
I'd like to know this too. Anyone have experience with aftermarket air shocks? The ones linked are $1100/pair. About half Lexus price for new. It looks like they are all about lowering the ride which I don't want to do though.
Old 10-29-15, 10:02 AM
inrisls400
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a set of 3 with 170k miles, message me if your interested
Old 10-29-15, 10:41 AM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by toddmorr
has anybody here actually spent $1000 on an air strut? Who really does that? I mean...we all know how much they cost new but the point is that you can certainly find solid used ones for far far less. the proper compare is between a decent used air strut versus conversion or even just a new regular shock at a hundred bucks a piece. You are highly likely to get the same mileage out of both more or less.
People usually buy them new, most just don't buy used suspension parts, and most shops and dealerships will not install used suspension parts because they don't want someone coming back and demanding a refund.

But now that this generation LS is not worth as much, dropping $4,000+ on struts for a $7,000 car is a hard case to make.

I personally would be willing to buy a used air strut if I had a UL, but it would have to be cheap, and I would go in knowing it's likely something that will happen again in the near future and I'll probably have to then grab another one. Or maybe I get lucky. But the OP's went out at 93k miles, how likely is it that you get one with lower miles than that?

Also, just because the air strut hasn't developed a crack or hole doesn't mean the strut with it is not worn out. There's two parts, the bag and the strut. The air bag itself is not the only "wear" part. The bag is like the "spring" on a steel coil suspension, but just like with a conventional suspension, you can have a coil spring that's perfectly fine but it still has a blown strut.

The difference with a steel coil vs air suspension is that if the conventional suspension wears out, it means sloppy handling. But if an air bag suspension leaks, the car is basically grounded until it's repaired.
Old 10-29-15, 02:34 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

i guess hard data is tough to come by, but the majority of used air struts I see out there are around 50k miles, once in awhile less. And they seem to go for something like $200 or less a piece, sets can be had for 500 or so if you're patient. So for not much more than a reg shock you get an air strut that you're quite possibly going to get 50k ish miles out of, maybe more maybe less. I'd take that deal, esp if I'm a DIYer and don't have to persuade a shop to install used.

i agree an air bag leak basically grounds the car, but on both the air struts I've had that were bad..both were bad struts, meaning not the bag itself but the oil filled cylinder inside that was blown. So the car was certainly drivable it just pitched about like a fat whale...ha. So in the case of that specific failure it ought to be similar to a reg shock failure
Old 10-29-15, 03:03 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by toddmorr
i guess hard data is tough to come by, but the majority of used air struts I see out there are around 50k miles, once in awhile less. And they seem to go for something like $200 or less a piece, sets can be had for 500 or so if you're patient. So for not much more than a reg shock you get an air strut that you're quite possibly going to get 50k ish miles out of, maybe more maybe less. I'd take that deal, esp if I'm a DIYer and don't have to persuade a shop to install used.

i agree an air bag leak basically grounds the car, but on both the air struts I've had that were bad..both were bad struts, meaning not the bag itself but the oil filled cylinder inside that was blown. So the car was certainly drivable it just pitched about like a fat whale...ha. So in the case of that specific failure it ought to be similar to a reg shock failure
If you could find a used set of air struts with under 50k miles for a good price, I would definitely take that gamble

But not to insult anyone, I personally just don't trust people to be truthful about the mileage. Unless you're pulling it off the car yourself, how do you really know? And if someone is selling a used set of air struts, it would make sense they are doing it because they had problems and converted. If there's a special situation where you know the person, it's a different ballgame, but something being sold on Ebay or a salvage yard?

Also, age is at least partly a factor and many of these things are 15 years old now. As a comparison, if you have your original tire spare, even if it's never been used, my bet is you're going to see some surface cracking on it. The rubber bladders on the air struts are the same way. They dry out even if they aren't being used.

You just have to pick your poison and figure out what your priorities are. Some people are just not going to want the headache.
Old 10-30-15, 02:48 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

You are right about a certain amount of trust involved. My set came with a 3 month guarantee and their condition was very nice. I also proteected the rubber with some silicone. The set came off an 05 with just over 50k on it according to the seller, who was a Lexus independent shop. After speaking with them in person I trusted what they said and the fact that they would stand behind the shocks for 3 months. Most leak hydronic oil down the body of the shock when they fail so this can be an obvious sign of quality.
Old 10-30-15, 12:53 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I am seriously considering Semar's offer. I still don't know what all one needs if you convert to traditional coils and springs. The strut includes the shock right? What else is needed?

Quick Reply: Help...advice on suspension