LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Damnnnnnn .....my bullet proof flagship is after my wallet, old tech now failing

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-15, 02:37 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jpv, just read this thread, its kind of a risk reward scenario, when i was contemplating getting rid of my car i did a spreadsheet and thats what brought me to the decision. when i saw your list i empathized with you i had some of the issue, but if i remember you don't do alot of mileage for me at 3k a month i justified the car payment with a savings of 150$ month in gas savings and another 100 in pre paid maintenance. What ultimately scared me was look at your list. then after spending 1500 on the list, a alternator goes another 600, then the motor mounts, then the ac compressor i was at a stage to break loose with only replacing two bushings in front end and tires and brakes. sad part my 1998 ls 400 at 200k had another 200 before i felt i would have to let it go
it got totaled in cali thus the ls430
happy holidays, to all
Old 12-24-15, 06:46 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Just logged on and saw this thread had taken off again. I posted that when I was mad at my car for diggin in my wallet. We are getting along well now....for now

So to be clear, I love my car and it is the best dang cruiser on the road. But as others have said u gotta pay to play. I must admit I wanted to sneak in and scoop up this awesome car that would never need a thing after water pump and timing belt......well very soon after i bought it I realized I hadnt done my research very well. Sure the engine and tranny are very strong and smooth as silk....but all of the gadgetry has a lifespan of about 130k then it starts to break one by one.

Personally I do sweat the small details and if my heater lights were out I would fix them. I cant stand one broken item on my car...I enjoy the DIY aspect.

But if a friend was to buy a 430 I would certainly tell them to keep a few bucks in the kitty for future unexpected repairs because they are comin'.

LS430lover......yes I understand your decision. And again u are correct I only drive my car on weekends so hopefully I can make the ole gal last a little longer between repairs....this makes the car affordable for me. I dont think I could afford this car as a daily driver....hard to say....I am dreading all of this bushing and bearing stuff coming down the road........seems to me a smaller rice grinder might be better for a daily driver, just use it up and spit it out when done with it.
Old 12-26-15, 05:22 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Brew and Jeff.....

Just fyi....I sat in my car while the wife went into Michael's for a picture frame....no way she is getting me in that store. This allowed me to do a thorough stereo test.....I used an old Heart CD....yes Heart....and a Dire Straights CD. Im not sure what Heart song it was called but it was not a mainstream song and it jammed. The stereo hung in there for Heart......I was afraid to push the stereo because I didnt want to break it. Then six blade knife by Dire Straights came on......its a very base strong song...I isolated each speaker individually ...long story short I finally broke the front left. When Isolated the cone broke free and now I will visit ebay again for another kit. The good news is the speaker that I had already reconed jammed like a champ. Now for those of you that might give me a hard time for the Heart CD.....if u do I will go out to the car and find the name of that song. Those ladies could rock back in the day....I saw them live with Eddie Money...and from 5 rows back that was an awesome concert. But I would rather have seen a Pink Floyd concert

As much as I give the ML system low marks......if a CD is in the system sounds very good.
Old 12-27-15, 08:05 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Wish all I had were your problems

My 02 Ultra has had very few issues, but the air suspension has been a nightmare. It had problems during CPO warranty, which Lexus never could figure out, nor repair. This year they politely informed me that two struts were leaking. I told them that they had been leaking for a number of years...dealer just would never listen to me.
No matter what way you go, the repairs aren't cheap. I am not going to repair/replace air, because there are two more struts.bladders to go. I started with a conversion kit....and a good one. Eibach coils and KYB shocks. They sent the wrong set for the front. I am not a DIY, and the tech had never replaced an air suspension, so when I showed up, the front end was sitting way up there. Ride is okay, but not great. Even the failing air rode better.
I am thinking about some Bilstein coilovers. I wish I had known the UL had air suspension when I was shopping for a CPO LS430...I never would have bought one.

I still shouldn't complain too much....when my wife's 2005 A8 started to have a few problems, it was no less than $1,500 each time it burped. After three good burps, although it was a great car in all other ways (air suspension was solid), it needed to belong to somebody else.
Old 12-27-15, 10:22 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo
My 02 Ultra has had very few issues, but the air suspension has been a nightmare. It had problems during CPO warranty, which Lexus never could figure out, nor repair. This year they politely informed me that two struts were leaking. I told them that they had been leaking for a number of years...dealer just would never listen to me.
No matter what way you go, the repairs aren't cheap. I am not going to repair/replace air, because there are two more struts.bladders to go. I started with a conversion kit....and a good one. Eibach coils and KYB shocks. They sent the wrong set for the front. I am not a DIY, and the tech had never replaced an air suspension, so when I showed up, the front end was sitting way up there. Ride is okay, but not great. Even the failing air rode better.
I am thinking about some Bilstein coilovers. I wish I had known the UL had air suspension when I was shopping for a CPO LS430...I never would have bought one.

Just buy new factory Lexus coils or go to a salvage yard and get some used coils. unless they are covered in rust, they should work great. Mine has 160k miles with no issues

I have Monroe struts in mine, they came from Japan. great ride, I can't imagine anyone complaining about it

Bilsteins are going to ride REALLY rough, it's for people who want a firm, sport suspension
Old 02-07-16, 08:46 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

How much are the steering wheel motors ?

On my previous LS I could turn it off

This LS works perfectly but I feel when it goes out would like to know replacement cost
Old 02-07-16, 09:11 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

A quick google or ebay search will get u the exact price....but as i recall it was around 200.......its a great feature to have...dont disable it
Old 02-07-16, 09:16 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Oh didn't realize it's only $200
That's worth it

I was thinking 1500-2000$

Appreciate the help
Old 02-07-16, 09:25 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

I just did a quick search on ebay.........I am seeing them for $289.00 but I am sure if you fiddle around on the internet u can find for less. I know I didnt pay $289 for mine.....but I would if I had to.
Old 02-07-16, 09:31 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Did you have Someone else install it ? Or easy diy?
Old 02-07-16, 09:42 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

I will be honest....it was a tricky DIY because I was afraid of removing the knee airbag that my 2004 has. I spoke w another member who removed the airbag and it gave him easy access. The replacement is very easy.....the access to the part is limited....there is a thread on the site explaining the procedure....do a search and hunt it down.
Old 02-07-16, 09:44 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Will do

I guess there is a tilt up and down when you get out of car fail

And a telescoping fail
Old 02-07-16, 10:01 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Yes.....the up and down is usually the cheap bushing jamming and binding the motor. That one is easy and cheap. The telescope motor is a diff animal. Yes it telescopes toward or away from you and also when u turn the car off it pulls in and up so u can easily exit the car. You will have to read the thread on this subject.....but there is a trick with this repair....u will want to check and see if your old motor is still working before u buy a new one. I will try to explain quickly. Basically the motor spins a threaded rod or gear if u like. Sometimes if the motor gets out of timing with the gear......the motor thinks it is fully extended and the gear thinks it is fully retracted......u have to get them both in sync ....this is usually done by disconnecting the rod from motor and manually pushing all the way in...or out then hooking back up and trying motor again. Sounds difficult but once u are in there and see it.....its not difficult
Old 02-07-16, 10:06 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Appreciate the help

All is working fine now

Just making note for future impending failure
Old 02-07-16, 12:04 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
Appreciate the help

All is working fine now

Just making note for future impending failure
future impending failure...hah...sounds like something Donald Trump would say on anyone being elected ahead of him

Quick Reply: Damnnnnnn .....my bullet proof flagship is after my wallet, old tech now failing