LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Headlight Auto leveling Sensors help

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-15, 11:49 AM
propcop
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight Auto leveling Sensors help

Dropped my car off at Lexus this morning because the headlights are a shining a little high.
They just called and want $1350 for two sensors just to start diagnosing the problem. "No guarantee it's the leveling sensors"

Would anyone know the part number for the two leveling sensors in my 2005 LS430.
Maybe I can locate them second hand. Lexus says their both full of water? They also said there is no way to manually adjust the lights down by hand.

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 10-09-15, 03:30 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think they are saying you have a faulty leveling sensor, which should give you a message on the dashboard.

There is only 1 sensor, and it's near the rear tire on the driver's side (not %100, someone please specify the exact location of the sensor)

The headlights are easily manually adjusted. Tons of threads about that.
But I'm guessing, since you have a faulty height adjuster, no matter how you adjust your headlights, the sensor will adjust and bring them up again.

This sensor monitors the car's height, when going down/up a hill so that when you're going up a hill, it would lower your headlights, maybe that's where your sensor is telling it to do (because it's not working properly). It would raise them up if you're going down a hill.
Old 10-09-15, 03:57 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I correct myself. There are 2 sensors, drivers side wheel, rear drivers side wheel.

Seems like it's part # 8940850060. Cost is around $320 for 1 sensor.

Can you ask them to supply you with the part numbers? That would help you lower down your cost by a lot. You can buy the parts online and have them installed at any place of your liking.
Old 10-09-15, 04:29 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

There is a thread on this website about these sensors. They are a common problem. You will normally get a "headlight leveling" warning on the dash. It is almost always the rear sensor and Dorman has a replacement for about 50-60 dollars. Will try and get you the part number. You can also open up the sensor and repair the spring / contacts with a spring from a ballpoint pen or some copper wire. I think what happens is water leaks into the housing as it is not sealed correctly and damages the electrical contacts. The third and final solution is to pull the fuse for the circuit and adjust the headlights manually. This stupid system is nothing more than a gimmick and an excuse for the Lexus dealer to take you to the cleaners. I'll try and find you the thread.
Old 10-09-15, 05:01 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Voila

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006/780013-lexus-toyota-afs-light-headlight-level-sensor.html
Old 10-10-15, 06:39 PM
propcop
Driver

Thanks for all the help guy's, Great illustrations
I ordered the Dorman part so we'll see what happens next week

Thanks again!
Old 10-10-15, 08:53 PM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First of all, make sure your sensors are physically still showing as connected via the linkages. The middle pivot, shown in the pics above, tends to rust up and freeze thus leading to breaking of the linkage arm - at which point a new Dorman sensor isn't going to be of much help.

And secondly, your rear sensor is the most probable at being faulty. When you do replace it with the Dorman sensor, do not throw old one out. If you wish, repair the sensor using the helpful instructions provided using a common spring. If you do not wish to perform such repair, I will gladly pay you a USPS shipping fee and take it off your hands. It's useful in repaired condition - someone here could always use it. And I can pass it on to the next LS person that needs a sensor.
Old 10-12-15, 07:41 AM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by takimanpgt
First of all, make sure your sensors are physically still showing as connected via the linkages. The middle pivot, shown in the pics above, tends to rust up and freeze thus leading to breaking of the linkage arm - at which point a new Dorman sensor isn't going to be of much help.

And secondly, your rear sensor is the most probable at being faulty. When you do replace it with the Dorman sensor, do not throw old one out. If you wish, repair the sensor using the helpful instructions provided using a common spring. If you do not wish to perform such repair, I will gladly pay you a USPS shipping fee and take it off your hands. It's useful in repaired condition - someone here could always use it. And I can pass it on to the next LS person that needs a sensor.
If the link is indeed broken, there is a YouTube video of a guy using a coathanger to repair the headlight leveling sensor link on his Prius. Most likely this is the same part and the same method can be used on the LS. I have used coat hangers on all sorts of car repair jobs. Last time was to repair the seat retractor on an old pickup. If you need more strength, just double it up.
Old 10-12-15, 07:44 AM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Arcturus
If the link is indeed broken, there is a YouTube video of a guy using a coathanger to repair the headlight leveling sensor link on his Prius. Most likely this is the same part and the same method can be used on the LS. I have used coat hangers on all sorts of car repair jobs. Last time was to repair the seat retractor on an old pickup. If you need more strength, just double it up.
Here's the video if you're interested.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2K8Q5mCdEho
Old 10-20-15, 05:46 PM
propcop
Driver

Does anyone know the part number for the front sensor? It's a totally different part from the rear one on my 2005 LS450.
lexus wants almost $1300 for both sensors installed.
I purchased the rear one from Amazon for $49 but didn't fix my problem after installation.
Old 10-22-15, 08:01 PM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you please take a pic and post both the front and rear sensors on your car? What I remember from mine is that both sensors were similar.
Old 10-29-15, 10:41 AM
propcop
Driver

So next I ordered the front sensor from EBay and replaced the part with no change in the way the headlights perform.
Does any one have a schematic of the headlights and associated electronics?
No matter what I have done to date the headlights continue to go down then raise up and stay there when the key is turned on.
I even tried to mechanically turn the head lights down to a lower position but the system points them way up. So far up that approaching traffic will flash their light for me to turn mine down.
There must be another sensor somewhere that keeps telling the lights to raise up.
Anyone have any thoughts what I might try next??

It must be something in common with both headlights because they both do the same thing
Thanks
Old 10-29-15, 02:36 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by propcop
So next I ordered the front sensor from EBay and replaced the part with no change in the way the headlights perform.
No matter what I have done to date the headlights continue to go down then raise up and stay there when the key is turned on.
I even tried to mechanically turn the head lights down to a lower position but the system points them way up. So far up that approaching traffic will flash their light for me to turn mine down.
There must be another sensor somewhere that keeps telling the lights to raise up.

It must be something in common with both headlights because they both do the same thing
Thanks
Even though you've replaced the sensor, i do believe it has to be adjusted also. Try looking up how to adjust said sensor or take it to the dealer to have them do it.
Old 10-29-15, 03:27 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks
There are two (2) headlight leveling sensors. You replaced one, but what about the other?
Old 10-29-15, 04:22 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 681 Likes on 464 Posts

Thanks
Here you go...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
HEADLIGHT BEAM LEVEL CONTROL.pdf (60.3 KB, 2102 views)

Last edited by rkw77080; 10-29-15 at 04:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Headlight Auto leveling Sensors help