LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Apple Carplay / Alpine Install / 2005

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-15, 10:17 AM
gstern1994
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Apple Carplay / Alpine Install / 2005

I just recently had an Alpine ILX-007 installed by Crutchfield in Harrisonburg, VA. I have an 05 (130K) without nav, and I decided to keep the car for at least another 4-5 years.

I had a Parrot MKi 9000 installed for several years, and it was terrific for streaming and for voice, but I wanted to add navigation and a backup camera to the car. After a lot of research, I came to the conclusion that Apple's Carplay was my best option. There are similar units that support Android Auto as well, but I have an iPhone 6 and the Alpine only supports iOS.

Overall, I 'm really happy I put it in. I wish the screen had better contrast during the day - it get's pretty washed out in direct sunlight. The sound quality is an order of magnitude above the base radio - and I liked the Pioneer. L/R separation is quite defined and the music sounds far more detailed and nuanced.

Navigation works well, voice prompts are clear - it's an oversized version of Apple Maps. Not Google awesome, but it's getting there.

Siri integration is really good - better than the actual phone's implementation I believe. I've initiated texts, destinations and calls purely by voice. It's smooth and reliable, and I don't think I could go back to a vehicle that din't have this level of voice integration.

The Alpine works on a hard connection, no bluetooth. Other manufacturer's offer bluetooth but they either have wonky interfaces, smaller screens (the Alpine's is 7 inches) or other shortcomings for me. Bluetooth capability for this unit maybe available as an update, but as it goes now, I don't miss it.

The dash kit is by Metra. It's looks reasonable, but I'm still not totally used to it. There is another one made by Beat Sonic, along with the factory harness (purchased this) they also sell. Their dash kit looked a bit too swoopy to me, so I opted for the Metra's cleaner lines. I'm wondering if Beat Sonic's does a better job at preventing glare. Sigh...

The backup camera works well (low dollar Clarion), and the Alpine's display offers guides and traffic cones.

For those looking to add some modern tech to their cars, this is really nice option.

Last edited by gstern1994; 10-08-15 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-08-15, 12:44 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That is pretty neat, thanks for sharing.

Aesthetically, it fits pretty well in the 430, not too modern, just modern enough.

How's the quality of the system? Building material, sound quality, graphics, etc.
Old 10-08-15, 04:52 PM
gstern1994
Rookie

The quality of the radio is quite good, the Metra kit is another story. The color match is very close, but the edges - especially on top are a bit jagged. I wish I'd seen it before it was installed. I could have sanded it or tried to see if another one was smoother. You can't see it from the pics, but in the driver's seat you can observe a slightly ragged edge where the kit meets the underside of the dash. First world problems.

The sound quality is stellar - much more detailed and punchy than the base Pioneer. The screen resolution is good, but it's not Retina good. The scrolling works well and system is reasonably snappy. FM reception is good too - and it shows all available station data: genre, song, artist, etc.
Old 10-08-15, 05:06 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Looks great man. I have a 6 plus too and I looked at the same units. Their nice but expensive. Much easier to do this if have don't have the ML sound system.
Old 10-08-15, 05:08 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a win! Seems like a "must do" mod for anyone without factory GPS and NAV.
This even seems better than the factory NAV. But IMO, not worth it to switch out the factory NAV. But a really good option for those who are looking for an upgrade and don't have factory NAV.

Now, to an important question.. if you would like to answer of course; how much did this setup end up costing?
Old 10-08-15, 05:35 PM
lsdude
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks clean! Does the CD player still work?
Old 10-09-15, 06:24 AM
gstern1994
Rookie

It wasn't cheap. When it was all said an done, the radio, harness, backup camera and installation came to around $1100.

The CD player was removed as well, and the Metra kit has a nice utility pocket that occupies that space now.

I rationalized it by amortizing the cost over the next 4 years, and what it would have likely cost me as a stand alone option on most other cars. My wife, well, she thinks it's was pricey.
Old 10-09-15, 09:57 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

It is expensive but you get a lot with the integration into the phone.
Old 10-09-15, 11:03 AM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I installed one of those in my wifes Nissan Altima. Its a nice deck and well made (its one of the few Alpine HU that are still made in Japan Works great with Iphone and only Iphone. There is no Bluetooth built into the unit. Also all the advanced features and tuning are built into the Tune-It app and not accessible from the deck directly. So if your phone is not connected no used of a lot of the features One nice thing about the install is its only about 1/2 the depth of a normal DDin unit with mech system.
Old 10-11-15, 07:30 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Wish I had a non nav car..
Old 10-13-15, 08:35 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Looks really nice. Wish I could do this to my UL without a huge headache...
Old 10-13-15, 11:04 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I should have gotten a non nav.
Old 10-14-15, 03:04 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks REALLY nice!
Old 10-19-15, 10:52 AM
gstern1994
Rookie

Thanks everyone, I'm really enjoying it!
Old 10-20-15, 02:39 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

That looks great! Which wiring harness did you use?

Quick Reply: Apple Carplay / Alpine Install / 2005