LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Disable Rear Sunshade down in Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-15, 11:27 AM
abbyNormal
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Disable Rear Sunshade down in Reverse

Ok, I have figured out how, with a minor amount of (reversable) work, you can stop your rear sunshade from going down in reverse. The up/down switch still works fine. Looking at the LS460 forum, it appears disabling this is available through CBEST (or similar), so it might not be a liability issue more than a feature that Lexus just didn't make available on the LS430.

So, before I post the info, can someone verify that other Lexus cars have the ability to disable rear sunshade down on reverse via software/dealer? Also, mods, is there any issue posting this info here?

AN
Old 09-26-15, 01:19 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't believe so. Any modification posted is to be used again by other forum members at user's discretion. As long as the mod is not illegal or inherently dangerous. Like window tinting, 5% is illegal in a few states but you can install at your own risk. I think the roll down was just an oversight or some "feature" that Lexus thought would be better and I can see the safety aspect of it, to lower in reverse for clearer rear visibility.
Old 09-26-15, 01:35 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I wish I could disable mine... I use it all the time and the majority of my reverse is used with backup cam anyways. Just seems like the motor will go sooner with the extra 5-10 moves a day everyday. And of course getting to the motor isn't that convenient for a simple swap.
Old 09-26-15, 03:57 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure, but I believe you can do it using the tech stream software for Lexus.

Someone correct me on this, Lav maybe? He's our tech stream man.
Old 09-26-15, 06:46 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

No option in techstream to disable on the 430, unfortunately.
Old 09-26-15, 06:53 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Guess you can always just remove the fuse if you don't want it to work..
Old 09-26-15, 09:41 PM
abbyNormal
Driver

Disclaimer: Do this mod at your own risk. If you burn down your car, run over a bus full of nuns or increase global warming, it's due to your choice to do this mod. The instructions below work for a 2005. I suspect 2004-2006 is the same. If I can get verification on 2001-2003 I'll add them at the end of this thread.

Added(09/27): I recommend you disconnect the battery before doing the work below.

Added(9/28) NOTE: THIS PART IS WRONG. WITH THE CORRECTIONS I'VE MADE ABOUT THE CONNECTOR. THIS SHOULD WORK FOR UL TOO. <s>Ok, this mod is only for the non-UL LS's. Sorry UL guys, but the wiring diagram has this signal bypassing the junction box in question on UL models. The only way to do this on a UL is to remove pin 2 of this connector, directly on the sunshade controller. As far as I can tell, the sunshade and its controller are about as deep into the rear deck as you can get.</s>

What you want to do is remove pin 21 (orange wire) of connector L14. This connector is plugged into the "Luggage Room" junction box, which lives in the trunk on the driver's side. The pin you care about is shown in the image below. It's an orange wire with a gray wire next to it in pin 22. To be clear you aren't messing with the connection in the junction; you are going to pull connector L14 out of the junction box (by squeezing the connectors release tab) and then release the orange wire in slot 21 of that connector using a tool. Here's the junction box with the correct pin circled:

Here's the connector pin slots:

This pin numbering is what you see once you've pulled the connector and you are looking at it straight on, where the pins from the junction box would be making the connection.

to be continued...

AN

Last edited by abbyNormal; 09-28-15 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Has pin and connector number wrong
Old 09-26-15, 10:09 PM
abbyNormal
Driver

You'll need to either remove the driver's side trunk cover or remove enough fasteners to allow you to push it aside. Once you do, you should be able to remove the cover on this (the junction box):

Thanks to cyclehead for this image. Here's a link to the original image and the image below that shows the junction box with the cover off: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post6909950

The cover just pops off by releasing three tabs. Then you can squeeze the release on L14. Once you've got the connector rotated around, so that you can see the ends of the pins, you'll need to pull up the locking bar on the connector. It's a piece of plastic that's flush with the side of the connector's body. You need to pry it up evenly so that it pops up above the connector surface. To release the pin, you need a very, very thin flat tool. A stick pin with the tip mushroomed out should work. You insert the tool into the slot above the pin's slot and try to pull up on the tab holding in the pin:

This image kind of sucks, but you want to insert the tool above the pin and try to pry the tab up away from the pin as you lightly pull on the wire connected to the pin. If you release the pin the whole thing will slide out of the connector. Wrap pin on the released orange wire you just pulled from slot 21 on L14 and plug L14 back into the junction box and then button everything up.

The shade should still operate normally with the up/down button but won't drop when you put the transmission in reverse.

AN

Last edited by abbyNormal; 09-28-15 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Fixed connector and pin numbers
The following users liked this post:
jeeper (06-18-22)
Old 09-26-15, 10:23 PM
abbyNormal
Driver

Releasing the pin is the hardest part. You need to pull on the wire, but no so hard that you bind the tab that holds the pin in. Below in red is the pin and the black arrow points to the slot you insert the release tool into. The black circle shows the release bar you have to pop-up before you try to release the pin.

NOTE: It's possible I have the pin slot and release slot backwards. You want to insert the release tool into the slot that doesn't contain the pin you are trying to release.

Last edited by abbyNormal; 09-28-15 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Fixed image to point to correct pin
The following users liked this post:
jeeper (06-18-22)
Old 09-28-15, 07:56 PM
abbyNormal
Driver

I've updated the howto with the correct info and connector/pin info.

Thanks to rkw77080 for calling to my attention that I was full of it.

Most of what I originally posted about the pin and connector had to do with when I was trying to see if I could accomplish the task using a connector near the rear seat. That ended up being too much to take apart, so I went with the solution involving the trunk junction box.

AN
Old 08-26-17, 02:50 AM
hnlcelsior
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abbyNormal
Disclaimer: Do this mod at your own risk. If you burn down your car, run over a bus full of nuns or increase global warming, it's due to your choice to do this mod. The instructions below work for a 2005. I suspect 2004-2006 is the same. If I can get verification on 2001-2003 I'll add them at the end of this thread.

Added(09/27): I recommend you disconnect the battery before doing the work below.

Added(9/28) NOTE: THIS PART IS WRONG. WITH THE CORRECTIONS I'VE MADE ABOUT THE CONNECTOR. THIS SHOULD WORK FOR UL TOO. <s>Ok, this mod is only for the non-UL LS's. Sorry UL guys, but the wiring diagram has this signal bypassing the junction box in question on UL models. The only way to do this on a UL is to remove pin 2 of this connector, directly on the sunshade controller. As far as I can tell, the sunshade and its controller are about as deep into the rear deck as you can get.</s>

What you want to do is remove pin 21 (orange wire) of connector L14. This connector is plugged into the "Luggage Room" junction box, which lives in the trunk on the driver's side. The pin you care about is shown in the image below. It's an orange wire with a gray wire next to it in pin 22. To be clear you aren't messing with the connection in the junction; you are going to pull connector L14 out of the junction box (by squeezing the connectors release tab) and then release the orange wire in slot 21 of that connector using a tool. Here's the junction box with the correct pin circled:

Here's the connector pin slots:

This pin numbering is what you see once you've pulled the connector and you are looking at it straight on, where the pins from the junction box would be making the connection.

to be continued...

AN
sorry to bring up a old thread but I have recently picked up a 04 ul and I was searching ways how to disable rear sunshade when going into reverse. I'm just confused when it says for ul also but then the sentence right next to it says that mod is not for ul. the mod at the junction box.

if anybody out there got any pointers on how to disable it but stile able to bring it up at a push of a button that would be great. thank you!!
Old 08-26-17, 05:21 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Disabling the rear sunshade in order to "save" the motor is the dumbest idea I ever heard of. Who are you saving it for? If you can do without it, then just use it until the motor fails and then you're there! I haven't read where anyone has even experienced a failure of the sunshade motor.
Old 08-26-17, 09:13 AM
hnlcelsior
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Disabling the rear sunshade in order to "save" the motor is the dumbest idea I ever heard of. Who are you saving it for? If you can do without it, then just use it until the motor fails and then you're there! I haven't read where anyone has even experienced a failure of the sunshade motor.
not really saving the motor but the rear shade can go off track and it is kinda pricey to fix. thanks for the info
Old 08-26-17, 07:25 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
C'mon Jay, tells what you really think!

They aren't trying to completely disable the operation of the sunshade, they're just trying to keep it from automatically going back down when they go into reverse. I hardly ever use my sunshade but I can see why some people might want to have this feature...
Old 08-27-17, 12:55 PM
LS430cb
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there a way to disable the shade? Mines has started going up on it's own. I tried unplugging the switch and it still goes up randomly.

Quick Reply: Disable Rear Sunshade down in Reverse