2004 to 2006 LS 430 Ultra Luxury

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-15, 09:58 AM
Pedro45
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 to 2006 LS 430 Ultra Luxury

Hi friends, I'm new here.
I'm a 62 year old public school teacher who wants a dream car and realizes I can only get it used, which is absolutely fine if it's one of these in good shape.
I got the idea that it has to be an Ultra Luxury package, but they're not as plentiful.
So it's possible that a lower options package could work just as well for me but I can't seem to find a place that has the information, a good side by side comparison, explanation of the packages.
So could anyone steer me there or explain a bit about the main differences on the next package down from ULTRA? Thanks so much for any help here you can offer. Also if it makes a big difference to go up to the next model year 2007? thanks, pete
Old 09-26-15, 10:37 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Stay away from the 460's unless you have deep pockets for repairs.

UL have the rear AC package with massaging rear seats and air suspension. Heating and cooling in all
4 seats. As well as the nav, suade headliner, laser or radar cruise, and auto close doors. Some have the radar collision option as well.

Custom Luxury has many of the same options minus the air suspension and rear seat package.

Modern Luxury gets you Nav and Mark Levison sound system.

Base looses Navigation and Mark Levison sound system.

I'm sure I missed a few things but that's the major differences. No matter what model you get they are all great. 05 and 06 are my favorite years for ultimate reliability.
Old 09-26-15, 10:43 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_LS
this will help you out
Old 09-26-15, 11:03 AM
abbyNormal
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a link to a useful page that's on the FAQ page:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...y-package.html

To me the negatives for the UL outweigh the positives. Negatives (to me):
1) Air suspension that is expensive to fix
2) Lose trunk space
3) Lose trunk pass through (for skis or other long skinny items)
4) Rear AC that is just one more thing to break

The Custom Lux gets nearly all the good stuff on the UL without the above issues. That said, I'm betting the CL is more rare than the UL.

AN
Old 09-26-15, 11:31 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah. It's still odd that non-UL owners are the only ones who complain about the UL's reliability. Makes me laugh. The air shocks are quite expensive new this is true but you can always source good used ones like I have even though I have no issues. Or convert the suspension. Everything else is golden about the UL and is a non issue. You will be hard pressed finding UL owners complaining about reliability. If you want all the great options that come with a UL don't be afraid of the naysayers who don't actually own the model. They are fantastic and the additional features are well worth it and make the 430 an amazing car.
Old 09-26-15, 11:51 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

I would say get the latest year 430 CL you can get (from 2004 on up) and I agree that it would probably be better to avoid going up to the 460s.

As Abby (that's funny - I love that) pointed out, those are valid reasons to lean towards the Custom Luxury, especially at this point in the vehicle's life. There's more risk (however small) than benefit at this age.

I too, believe that the CL version may be harder to come by.

Good luck with your search.

Walt

Last edited by ayonnebay; 09-26-15 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-26-15, 11:59 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Honestly, the best features of the UL is the rear seat package. Personally, I love the way the air suspension rides especially with how bad the roads are in NJ. Extremely comfortable and isolates road imperfections. Having the rear seats heat and cool, recline and massage is amazing. Truly ultimate luxury. You won't find this in a CL or any other model. Of course as a driver you don't get to experience this but your passengers do and it's not a problem for me to trade off and let a significant other or friend drive so you can also enjoy the features. Laser and radar cruise are also fantastic. Wish the WRX had something similar.

If you want the best of the 430 forget the ML and CL. Get a UL and enjoy it.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 09-26-15 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-26-15, 01:11 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the Custom Luxury and only thing I miss over the UL are the rear side door sunshades. Rear cooler box, massage, air suspension NOPE. I'm driving, have never been in back and the air suspension seems more gimmick than function to me. Now, if it were active, road sensing, intuitive suspension, then maybe. You can't go wrong with UL or CL.
Old 09-26-15, 04:57 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

My two cents. I think the approach is flawed. These cars are like lakefront property. They have not been made in almost 10 years. Low mileage cars that have been properly maintained are getting harder to find. That said, broaden your search. Each variation has its own advantages and disadvantages. Those that have UL's love them (as I do). CL's are hard to find. Others believe that the premium package is the best value. The basic edition, without the navigation and ML audio, has it's fans who believe you are better off without the bells and whistles because there will be less to fix.

Find a car that fits in your budget with low mileage and proper service history. Don't worry about the package. Learn to love it, you won't be sorry.
Old 09-26-15, 06:49 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

well here's another UL owner with no issues, and enjoying every bit of the unequaled luxury. That includes a noticeably quieter engine...meaning less engine noise enters the cabin compared to my '02 non UL car.

great car...OP needs to think carefully about what he really enjoys in a car. If its luxury, go UL. If its smoothness, quiet, solid, fit and finish...they all work.
Old 09-26-15, 10:28 PM
abbyNormal
Driver

Originally Posted by ayonnebay
As Abby (that's funny - I love that)...

Walt
Hehe, it's from Young Frankenstein. I'm normally AbbeyNormal but the site only let me do a name with 10 chars.
Old 09-27-15, 07:41 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Personal Choice

Very few UL and CL's made. I love al the things on my UL. Air suspension concerns me (had it on my Range Rover and ultimately converted it to coil spring). I like the double pane glass, etc. Mine is an 02 silver/black and rosewood, with 93,000 miles, garage kept, covered parking at office. I keep it looking like new. Nobody believes it is an 02.

I went to look at new cars this year....had the bug. I test drove some great cars, bit I would get back in the LS430, and I would think, "I still like this car too much to make a change,"

A friend of mine who is a professional instructor at a performance driving school went from a 430 to 460. He is now looking for a late model 430 and is going to sell the 460. He says the 430 is a much better car.
Old 09-27-15, 08:19 AM
Anthony81
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a Custom Luxury, and I went this route due to the fact I need a rear seat pass through. That's it. Air suspension can be converted if desired. What I miss the most? The side rear sunshades, but I would love the rear seat package minus the cool box.
Old 09-27-15, 04:53 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by abbyNormal
Hehe, it's from Young Frankenstein. I'm normally AbbeyNormal
Yeah, I know - Great movie! Actually, I laugh out loud just thinking about it .......

Walt
Old 09-27-15, 07:19 PM
abbyNormal
Driver

Originally Posted by ayonnebay
Yeah, I know - Great movie! Actually, I laugh out loud just thinking about it .......

Walt
Muahaha. It's "fronk-en-steen"... and

BTW, sorry for the derail!

Quick Reply: 2004 to 2006 LS 430 Ultra Luxury