LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Tan Leather Seats discolored?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-15, 08:24 AM
DGOON
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tan Leather Seats discolored?

My leather seats in my 2002 LS430 are becoming black, I'm not sure if it's from my clothes or what's going on. Any good leather cleaning products you guys reccomend? I can add a few photos later to show you guys what I mean
Old 09-24-15, 03:59 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I use Lexol cleaner and conditioner. If the color has worn off then you can have the leather re-painted.

Old 09-24-15, 07:47 PM
JHC828
Driver School Candidate

I bought a brand new Escalade in '10 with light tan leather. I always wear dark denim (as does my wife) and after a few months I noticed it was discoloring the leather. I tried many different products and I had the best of luck using a good brand name leather cleaner and a steamer. The steam really seems to break the crud loose and you can wipe it off with a microfiber towel.
Old 09-25-15, 01:37 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by DGOON
My leather seats in my 2002 LS430 are becoming black, I'm not sure if it's from my clothes or what's going on. Any good leather cleaning products you guys reccomend? I can add a few photos later to show you guys what I mean
One of the reasons I've avoided getting a lighter color interior was for this very reason. The dye from your jeans with any perspiration transfers onto the leather. Although you can try to remove it, be aware that you can not be too aggressive or you will also remove the factory color. The best you can do is use a leather cleaner like Lexol and not to rub to hard. Yes, more than likely you will still have stained seats. As a previous poster mentioned, the only fix is to redye which of course may lead to the same problem down the line unless you drive naked!! If I had a choice I would have gotten a black interior but that wasn't going to happen. Good luck.
Old 09-25-15, 04:13 PM
xtr3me
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Like JHC828 mentioned, a steamer works best. If you don't have a steamer use a vent/dash detailing brush like in the video and mix Woolite and water and agitate as shown.
Ratio:
Water: 6 parts
Woolite: 1 part

For regular maintenance, it's best if you wipe down seats with a microfiber towel dampened with water and use leather cleaner as required/needed. Conditioners actually cause the seats to soil quicker than normal

I have Ecru interior, continuous maintenance required...I no like anymore
Old 09-25-15, 06:57 PM
JHC828
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xtr3me
Like JHC828 mentioned, a steamer works best. If you don't have a steamer use a vent/dash detailing brush like in the video and mix Woolite and water and agitate as shown.
Ratio:
Water: 6 parts
Woolite: 1 part

For regular maintenance, it's best if you wipe down seats with a microfiber towel dampened with water and use leather cleaner as required/needed. Conditioners actually cause the seats to soil quicker than normal

I have Ecru interior, continuous maintenance required...I no like anymore
I was going to say the same thing. I researched it quite a bit and learned that most leathers in cars is coated, basically painted, and using conditioner does nothing because it isn't able to soak into the leather. It only makes it soil more quickly. I've used Lexol leather CLEANER with good results, along with a steamer. If you want light colored leather and wear dark jeans, you're going to have to clean often. I wipe my seats down weekly with some uv protectant/leather vinyl cleaner. Use Lexol and steamer every few months. We traded our Escalade for a new one a couple of years ago and got the dark brown leather this time. Traded the Infiniti for a new one and got black. Our Lexus has black leather. I like the light colored leather but I like my dark jeans more.