LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Timing Belt Observations (and questions)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-15, 11:27 AM
abbyNormal
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Timing Belt Observations (and questions)

Just did the timing belt on my 05. Took me 7.5 hours, taking one 15 min break to eat. This is the time from pulling into the shop (pitrow diy in San Jose) to the time I clocked out (paid).

Was not bad except for the clip holding the cam sensor wire to the driver's side cam cover. I never did figure out how to get the clip out of the connector and ended up just destroying it. I'm talking about the clip that would slip into this connector and then snap into the hole in the driver's side cam cover:

If anyone knows where I can order this clip, please let me know. I can't find it listed in typical online parts diagrams.

Found evidence that some critter took the white insulation off the inside of the top engine cover and started to make a nest. It appears it also ate a wire. Does anyone know what the electrical sensor on the top of the intake with a singe wire going to it would be? There is one on either side of the intake, up on a bracket about 2 inches above the intake. The sensor is a square gray 1x1 inch piece of plastic. I've got a pic of it but not with me, will post it when I can.

Other observations:
1) Radiator has a foam tape seal around it that is all dried out and falls apart when you remove the radiator. Need to replace, might be good to plan for replacing it when you are going to do the timing belt.
2) Harmonic balancer doesn't appear to be a press fit. It comes right off with a bump from your hand.
3) I forgot to tighten the two bolts that come from the bottom of the AC compressor to the front bracket. Going to be a pain to get to now without dropping the bottom plastic cover. Probably going to have to make another appt. for a lift to tighten them. Probably do another ATF drain fill at that time.
4) Took about 2 gals of antifreeze and still needs more. I filled the system very slowly (as I cleaned up and put away tools) and it still ended up belching out coolant and making a mess when the ending got up to temp.
5) There is a wire going across the rad that has three clips holding it to the rad. I couldn't see a way to remove those clips from the rad without breaking them, so I had to use a knife tip to release the "tie wrap" mechanism and release the wiring loom. Was a real pain.

All in all, I think my biggest issue was releasing and removing all the wiring and wiring support clips. Most of these clips don't look to be designed to be removed once they are installed.
AN
Old 09-20-15, 11:37 AM
abbyNormal
Driver

Here's the wire that is missing. I've crudely drawn a red line to indicate where I think it went.

This also the area that the critter started making its bed. I didn't see evidence of anything having lived in there, so I guess it was twarted in its task before it finished.

AN
Old 09-20-15, 12:24 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

abby, Check these diagrams (for a 2004) for camshaft position sensor and related parts. Be sure that's what you need.

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...ition%20sensor
Old 09-20-15, 01:37 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by abbyNormal
Here's the wire that is missing. I've crudely drawn a red line to indicate where I think it went.

This also the area that the critter started making its bed. I didn't see evidence of anything having lived in there, so I guess it was twarted in its task before it finished.

AN
You're right! Here's what mine looks like... It's a noise filter. There's another one just like it on the other bank.

Last edited by rkw77080; 09-20-15 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-20-15, 03:22 PM
abbyNormal
Driver

Originally Posted by Tom57
abby, Check these diagrams (for a 2004) for camshaft position sensor and related parts. Be sure that's what you need.

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...ition%20sensor
Thanks so much!

Looks like it's a 8271143020 (CLAMP, WIRING HARNES) (about $9).

Here's a picture of one (pesky little bugger).

Old 09-20-15, 03:37 PM
abbyNormal
Driver

Originally Posted by rkw77080
You're right! Here's what mine looks like... It's a noise filter. There's another one just like it on the other bank.
Yeap, my LS is "wiring challenged".
Googling around, I haven't got a lot of hits but it looks like this is something to keep the injector circuit happy. Should be an easy fix with some wire and heat shrink.

Thanks for the info.

AN
Old 09-20-15, 03:39 PM
abbyNormal
Driver

Forgot to mention @rkw77080. You have the cleanest intake evar!

AN