LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Little bit of valve noise on cold starts

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-15, 10:52 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Little bit of valve noise on cold starts

I believe this may be filter related. Possibly due to the aftermarket Fram XG3600 filter I am running. What I notice is a little bit of tapping for about 1-2 seconds when I start the car after it has been sitting for 6 or more hours. I can only hear it with the door open or windows down. It goes away almost immediately but what this is telling me is it is taking oil longer to reach the valves. I'm pretty **** about my car and don't remember hearing this before so I am going to swap filters. The XG3600 is a rather large filter. It could be a faulty anti drain-back valve too.

I am also running about 3/4 of a quart of MMO with this oil change but I seriously doubt it is the MMO otherwise I would notice it all the time. If anything, when I listen to the engine closely at the valve covers the valves seem to be a little more quiet after running the MMO with my usual Mobile 1 Extended Performance 5w - 30 for the last 700 miles.

I stopped by the dealer and picked up another filer. I think I am going to swap filters and see if this takes care of it.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 09-11-15 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-11-15, 11:09 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

I stopped using Fram filters several years ago when I had a faulty one ... I shipped it to Fram for inspection. They claimed I installed it incorrectly, and sent me a couple new ones - which I discarded.
Old 09-11-15, 11:19 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I have never used a Fram on my LS before. If swapping filters solves the issue I definitely won't be going back to Fram. the XG3600 is supposed to be one of the best filters out there which surprises me. Maybe the sheer size of the thing also comes into play. It could just take that much longer for oil flow throughout the system but if this is the case I'm not a fan. The drain-back valve is supposed to negate this.
Old 09-11-15, 11:28 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

You don't need oil pressure or circulation issues especially in cold weather starts in NJ, Lav. Engine wear occurs most in the first few minutes/seconds after start-up. Hope the swap of filter does the trick.
Old 09-12-15, 04:57 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I believe this may be filter related. Possibly due to the aftermarket Fram XG3600 filter I am running. What I notice is a little bit of tapping for about 1-2 seconds when I start the car after it has been sitting for 6 or more hours. I can only hear it with the door open or windows down. It goes away almost immediately but what this is telling me is it is taking oil longer to reach the valves. I'm pretty **** about my car and don't remember hearing this before so I am going to swap filters. The XG3600 is a rather large filter. It could be a faulty anti drain-back valve too.

I am also running about 3/4 of a quart of MMO with this oil change but I seriously doubt it is the MMO otherwise I would notice it all the time. If anything, when I listen to the engine closely at the valve covers the valves seem to be a little more quiet after running the MMO with my usual Mobile 1 Extended Performance 5w - 30 for the last 700 miles.

I stopped by the dealer and picked up another filer. I think I am going to swap filters and see if this takes care of it.
I know this probably a real dumb question, but is the oil level at full? I've had it in other cars where the valve train is noisy on a cold start when the oil level is low. I'm sure you've probably checked this though.

Also, some noise is probably normal if the car has been sitting awhile. When turned off, the oil will eventually drain off the various valve train components (lifters) down back into the pan. It may take some time to circulate back up.

I had some very serious ticking on startup with a car with a sludged engine. This was a turbo car though and I doubt the LS will ever have this problem.
Old 09-12-15, 05:10 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Not anything having to do with oil level. I check religiously. It has to do with how the minute difference in time it takes for oil to reach the valves and lubricate everything thoughly. I will report any difference when I have a chance to swap the filter. It's very minor I'm just pretty intune and obsessive about minute differences with my car that a normal person would not notice.
Old 09-12-15, 05:30 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Not anything having to do with oil level. I check religiously. It has to do with how the minute difference in time it takes for oil to reach the valves and lubricate everything thoughly. I will report any difference when I have a chance to swap the filter. It's very minor I'm just pretty intune and obsessive about minute differences with my car that a normal person would not notice.
Okay understood. If it's only for 1-2 seconds it's probably normal. Id be interested to see if the oil filter makes a difference. Keep us posted.
Old 09-12-15, 06:12 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom57
I stopped using Fram filters several years ago when I had a faulty one ... I shipped it to Fram for inspection. They claimed I installed it incorrectly, and sent me a couple new ones - which I discarded.
What were the symptoms that led you to believe it was faulty?
Old 09-14-15, 07:50 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
What were the symptoms that led you to believe it was faulty?
It leaked oil.
Old 09-14-15, 12:02 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Respectfully, why wouldn't you just use an OEM filter? Isn't that what the engineers of the vehicle recommend?
Old 09-14-15, 07:54 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

So just an update. I tried something and it seems to eliminate the issue. I just turn the car to the on position for a few a second or two and then start the vehicle. Anyway, this seems to elimate any slight valve noise at cold startup. I think this helps build pressure and supplies oil more quickly. Either that or I'm missing something... Lol

There is nothing wrong with the current Toyota filter but since I run extended OCI's on full synthetic and I really like the idea of running a larger filter to help keep oil clean. The Fram XG3600 is one of the best filters our there according to Bobs the Oil Guy and other oil forums. Maybe just due to the sheer size of the filter it helps to let the system build pressure for a moment or two before starting the vehicle.
Old 09-14-15, 08:23 PM
abbyNormal
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So just an update. I tried something and it seems to eliminate the issue. I just turn the car to the on position for a few a second or two and then start the vehicle. Anyway, this seems to elimate any slight valve noise at cold startup. I think this helps build pressure and supplies oil more quickly. Either that or I'm missing something... Lol
This doesn't sound right to me. Pretty sure we have an oil pump that's driven by the crankshaft. Looks like maybe it's in the front cover right behind the harmonic balancer.

Maybe you are hearing the injectors doing something interesting?

AN
Old 09-15-15, 02:34 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I will monitor again but for whatever reason I don't seem to hear anything now. I'm positive what I heard before was not injectors. I have been super busy at work and not had time to swap the filter. I also can't say for sure the filter was causing what I heard. Maybe using the MMO cleaned something out and it temporarily clogged an of the oil lubrication hole but now it's clear again. That's a possibility too.
Old 09-15-15, 04:02 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

My last 04 have some valve noise at cold start over 80 degrees F starting around 150 k. Used like a 1/2 quart maybe at 200k when I traded it in in 6-7 k miles. Seemed to get worse but was never a problem in fall and winter. I just got used to it did not like it but got used to it. Overhead cam motors can have this noise at cold start with higher mlg and I drove that one pretty hard, much easier on my current LS. Always used syn. and Yota filters. Current 04 has 130k no noise.
Old 09-15-15, 05:21 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I don't burn any oil even at 7500 - 8500 OCI's. She runs great as ever. I have almost 136k miles now.

Quick Reply: Little bit of valve noise on cold starts