LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Engine stumbling for bit after sitting for 5 days

Old 09-10-15, 10:19 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Engine stumbling for bit after sitting for 5 days

I returned home from vacation and started my '02 with 185k miles and the engine fired up but stumbled for a couple blocks before it started firing smoothly. I've had this happen before in the last several years, several times after the car has been sitting for several days or more. Plugs have about 60k miles on em. Timing belt is fresh as well as several sensors including engine temp, MAF, and O2's, and I always use Shell or Chevron premium. What would be a likely cause? Coil pack(s)? I've never replaced any of those.
Old 09-11-15, 09:23 AM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had the same issue recently on my '02 although not after it sits for awhile like yours. Mine does it all the time. From a stop, if I floor it the engine seems to hesitate for a couple seconds then gathers itself then hiccups then takes off but not with as much power as it used to have. I have cleaned the MAF but not the TB and run Premium Costco gas with the occasional Lucas injector cleaner treatment. I drive the '05 and the difference is night and day....huge power in that one.
Will wait to hear from the collective wisdom of the members to see what they think the issue is.
Old 09-11-15, 10:15 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lsgary.
I had the same problem. Hesitation was enourmous and just as you described. I was thinking transmission but it turned out to be a faulty MAF sensor. Be advised maf will not throw codes unless it is on its last legs. Cleaning will not do anything. I cleaned maf, took off the throttle body and cleaned it thoughrogly back, front, idle channel and all passthroughs. It helped with a steady idle but NOT with hesitation. Only buy original sensor which is about $120. Now with a new MAF the car is like a rocket and throttle response is excellent.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-12-15, 08:16 AM
lsdude
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do not buy from this seller! The second one I purchased from him lasted 2 months. After a long road trip, Check Engine/VSC lights came on. I suspect this guy is selling used units as new. I just purchased a brand new Denso one from Amazon and the car rides much smoother than when I purchased the car 2 years ago. Plus my MPG has gone up. Plus there is a one year warranty on it. Fingers crossed this will last at least a year.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Denso-Toyota-Lexus-Scion-Pontiac-Mass-Air-Flow-Meter-Sensor-22204-22010-/321746873428?fits=Model%3ALS430&hash=item4ae99bac54&vxp=mtr

Last edited by lsdude; 12-19-15 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Bad experience with this eBay seller's products
Old 09-12-15, 08:34 AM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Thanks yuri. I think i'll swap out the sensors between my two cars first and see if it makes a difference and if it does I'll get a new one from from retailer on ebay that LS dude recommends. Thanks and I'll let you know what I find.
Old 09-12-15, 11:54 AM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Well just as yuri predicted, that was the problem. Swapped out the sensors between the two cars and viola.....that made all the difference. The '02 was back to instant acceleration and the '05 stumbled. Love this forum! Thanks and now I will order the new part.
Old 09-12-15, 04:06 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by LSGarry
Well just as yuri predicted, that was the problem. Swapped out the sensors between the two cars and viola.....that made all the difference. The '02 was back to instant acceleration and the '05 stumbled. Love this forum! Thanks and now I will order the new part.
How awesome is that!? Nice job on the troubleshooting and fix! Gary and Yuri!

I would have hesitated on swapping the sensors. I'm surprised they're interchangeable.

Gary...did you know for a fact they were interchangeable (same P/N's) or just took a chance and swapped them?
Old 09-12-15, 04:46 PM
lsdude
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Checking parts.com, part number 22204-22010 fits many Lexus/Toyota/Scion vehicles.
Old 09-12-15, 09:06 PM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Hi DE,

Yes since its the same engine on both model years, the MFA sensor is certainly interchangeable. Same exact part number etc.
Love it when a plan comes together.
Old 09-13-15, 02:17 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to hear it Gary. It turns out cleaning MAF to help with any kind of hesitation or idle is a myth.
Old 09-13-15, 05:36 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

If the MAF is dirty cleaning it can help a lot. On the LS, it just does not tend to get dirty. I have cleaned various other MAF's and it has made a huge difference.
Old 09-15-15, 02:21 PM
honasbone
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any way to test the MAF to see if it's starting to go? Wish I had a 2nd LS to try out LSGarry's method How great is that?

I've lost some power recently myself. Get some odd stumbling every so often when going deep into the throttle. And the car can run less than buttery smooth when starting up in the morning. Nothing major. But not how it used to feel.

I've used a mulitmeter to check the voltage on my TPS. It reads at 1.5 k ohms, which I believe means it's functioning properly. I'm curious to check the health of my MAF now. Can I use the multimeter to check the MAF in a similar way?
Old 09-15-15, 03:32 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

The part # of the MAF sensor on my 2002 says 22204-22010, which should be the same as Denso 197-6030. Some websites say the 2001-2005 part # is 22204-0D030 - not sure if this is an "upgraded" part or what the difference is.
Old 09-15-15, 03:52 PM
honasbone
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, that is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a ton.

Let's say I want to test with the MAF in place. I'm guessing I can do this by firing up the motor and using sharp tipped probes (that can pierce the wire sleeve) to take these measurements. Thoughts?

So for example for step "a" could I just turn on the car and poke the 2 wires corresponding to VG and E2G while my shop mate (aka my wife) presses on the accelerator to check for voltage fluctuation?

"b" sounds pretty straight forward.
Old 09-15-15, 04:59 PM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Honasbone, If your result is inconclusive, depending on where you live, we could meet and do a swap with a good one that I have. I live in Poulsbo.
Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine stumbling for bit after sitting for 5 days