LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

fuel injection cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-15, 01:07 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default fuel injection cleaner

What are you using for cleaning the fuel injection system?
I think I saw a thread not to use Redline, the one I used on the bimmer with no detrimental effects.
But I thought I read Lexus uses line components that are not compatible with Redline
Old 09-03-15, 01:29 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't know about Redline. But personally, every 3rd tank of gas, I use Lucas Oil injection cleaners. It seems to have been doing the job.
Old 09-03-15, 05:14 AM
johnnylt
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you run good quality premium gas 93 octane from a big chain gas station you shouldn't have to worry about injector cleaner
Old 09-03-15, 08:17 AM
Fixman
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use 3M evry 30,000 to 50,000 km.
Old 09-03-15, 08:40 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

This topic should be searched before rehashing and creating a new thread. The last discussion was at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...r-cleaner.html

The key takeaways are:

1) If you always use Top Tier Gas, you are already getting a good dose of fuel injector cleaner, well above government minimums. And some brands of Top Tier gas contain even more cleaner than required for Top Tier certification, ie. Shell V-Power/Nitro+. Most of the time, the people using injector cleaners do not have any proof that anything actually improved, and does not have any way to know anything about the before and after of the injector spray pattern or the flow rate.

In my opinion, it is a waste of money to save money using discount gas and then paying much more than the difference for occasional fuel injector bottles. If you want your fuel injectors to be happy, always use Top Tier gas and then you'll save money AND won't need to bother with injector cleaners.

2) If you are having a problem possibly related to engine deposits, fully warm up your engine, add a bottle of high-PEA fuel system cleaner prior to refueling (so that the cleaner mixes properly), and then take a long drive.

3) For cleaning injectors that are dirty enough to cause driveability problems, on-car fuel-injector cleaning (via fuel treatments or pressurized canister of cleaner attached directly to fuel rail) is not effective. On-car treatments are not very aggressive, as the chemicals must be safe to combust in the engine and exhaust through the O2 sensors and catalysts.

The proper way to clean dirty fuel injectors is to remove them from the car, use an ultrasonic cleaner at varying pulse widths with cleaners that are made for specifically for fuel injector cleaning (versus chemicals made for engine combustibility and O2 sensor safety), then leak-test, flow-test to OEM spec, replace the injector's internal filters, o-rings, and verify electrical coil's resistance.

Some bottles of injector cleaners reportedly have chemistry that can eat away plastic and nylon components in the fuel system. Surely dissolved plastic/nylon running through your injectors and engine can't be helpful.