LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Transmission fluid question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-15, 07:48 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

The rationale is this: As the transmission ages it becomes more risky to flush the system because it can shock the transmission and potentially dislodge something that had been building up for a number of years and damage or clog something up. Drain and refill has proven to be the safest and most effective way to refresh the fluid. Transmission fluid contains a lot of additives which, help the clutches engage and wear smoothly. Aisin, also states there is never a need to drop the pan unless a repair is necessary. It's not like changing the engine oil. A lot more is going on and viscosity is not high on the priorities vs levels of additives and reducing metal content.

That being said, the Aisin transmission is an extremely reliable transmission but more people have had issues from dropping the pan and getting sealant into the fluid and / or flushing vs drain and refills. If you want to follow the safest and proven method then do the drain and refill. What method do 90% of Lexus dealers use? Drain and refill. What is the procedure in the Lexus technical manual? Drain and refill. What method do I prefer? I think we all know the answer... Seriously, reference the mother thread for great information including my Blackstone analysis.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 09-03-15 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-04-15, 10:48 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
The rationale is this: As the transmission ages it becomes more risky to flush the system because it can shock the transmission and potentially dislodge something that had been building up for a number of years and damage or clog something up. Drain and refill has proven to be the safest and most effective way to refresh the fluid. Transmission fluid contains a lot of additives which, help the clutches engage and wear smoothly. Aisin, also states there is never a need to drop the pan unless a repair is necessary. It's not like changing the engine oil. A lot more is going on and viscosity is not high on the priorities vs levels of additives and reducing metal content.

That being said, the Aisin transmission is an extremely reliable transmission but more people have had issues from dropping the pan and getting sealant into the fluid and / or flushing vs drain and refills. If you want to follow the safest and proven method then do the drain and refill. What method do 90% of Lexus dealers use? Drain and refill. What is the procedure in the Lexus technical manual? Drain and refill. What method do I prefer? I think we all know the answer... Seriously, reference the mother thread for great information including my Blackstone analysis.
Ok thanks. That thread was way too much to read my way through. This way was much faster.