LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

My sick baby

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-15, 11:44 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My sick baby

Hi everyone. Upon getting off work tonight at 1am my car started to stutter and not accelerate smoothly. Check engine light and then check VSC came on. Drove it home and here are the codes:
P0300
P0301
P0308

Looks like a misfire of some sorts. Any ideas where to start? Car is an 01 with 109k miles.
Old 08-29-15, 07:38 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Misfire on cylinders 1 & 8. Has the timing belt been replaced? If not, I'd think twice about trying to re-start the engine.
Old 08-29-15, 07:40 AM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Yes timing belt has been changed.
Old 08-29-15, 09:45 AM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbthompson
Hi everyone. Upon getting off work tonight at 1am my car started to stutter and not accelerate smoothly. Check engine light and then check VSC came on. Drove it home and here are the codes:
P0300
P0301
P0308

Looks like a misfire of some sorts. Any ideas where to start? Car is an 01 with 109k miles.
The 0300 is a general random misfire. 0301 and 0308 are misfires on cylinders 1 and 8. Check for vacuum leaks and then the spark plugs and ignition components on cylinders 1 and 8. Could be a number of things including the coil packs, but start with those first.
Old 08-29-15, 10:25 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Have you replaced the spark plugs or are they original? You could swap the ignition coils on cylinders 1 & 2, and 7 & 8, then clear the codes and start the engine to try and isolate if the ignition coils are faulty. If you then get codes 302 and 307, then it's likely those two coils.
Old 08-29-15, 12:49 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Ok checked on the engine. The vaccum box and has a crack in one of the hoses (I've known that and have the hose connected with tape). After reattaching that hose, I started the car
up and I am still getting a misfire in cylinder 8. Would the next step be to replace the spark plug? They are original to the car as far as I know.

Can the whole vaccum box be replaced?
Old 08-29-15, 03:49 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Seriously doubt it's the plug itself with your mileage.
Old 08-30-15, 11:54 AM
volson
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok checked on the engine. The vaccum box and has a crack in one of the hoses (I've known that and have the hose connected with tape). After reattaching that hose, I started the car
up and I am still getting a misfire in cylinder 8. Would the next step be to replace the spark plug? They are original to the car as far as I know.

As mentioned before next step is to SWAP COILS AROUND. Good luck
Old 08-30-15, 08:33 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

I would have a look at the number 8 plug to check the condition. If there's any damage to the electrode, insulator or terminal replace it. You could replace it anyway to be sure.

If it's okay swap the coil pack with one from another cylinder as stated previously to see if the misfire moves to the cylinder with the suspected faulty coil.

Double check again that there are no vacuum leaks before proceeding. These often make a hissing sound.
Old 08-31-15, 07:01 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by volson
As mentioned before next step is to SWAP COILS AROUND. Good luck
This^^^

I had a similar problem a month ago and pinpointed the coil pack by switching them around. The check engine code should change also.
Old 08-31-15, 08:40 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Boomer01
This^^^

I had a similar problem a month ago and pinpointed the coil pack by switching them around. The check engine code should change also.
Looks like a coil pack issue after some more testing. So questions now:
1. Is it okay to just replace one coil pack or will it cause problems for the other ones?
2. I'd like to replace all of them and the spark plugs but at 85-100 bucks a coil it's not cheap. Is there a reliable aftermarket alternative for the coil packs?
Old 09-01-15, 05:05 AM
PersianOne
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

1. Is it okay to just replace one coil pack or will it cause problems for the other ones?
2. I'd like to replace all of them and the spark plugs but at 85-100 bucks a coil it's not cheap. Is there a reliable aftermarket alternative for the coil packs?
It's fine to just replace the faulty coil pack, but some would recommend to just change em all at once if you're willing to drop the $$$. Amazon has Denso coil packs for $60 a piece. Cheaper than the dealership. Can also buy it from ebay, another member gave me a link in one of my threads regarding my coil packs.
Old 09-01-15, 06:43 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

I just replaced one.
Old 09-01-15, 07:57 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Ok I changed the coil pack on the number 8 cylinder and the spark plug on cylinder 8 and 6. Cylinder was my problem child, and there was oil in the spark plug tube. Is that a big problem?

The car runs amazing now, no lights except the check VSC popped on but the car is running great.

Also I was having a horrible time accessing cylinder 2 and 4 to change the plugs. I will do all of the plugs eventually but I ran out of time tonight.
Old 09-01-15, 08:34 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Ok I changed the coil pack on the number 8 cylinder and the spark plug on cylinder 8 and 6. Cylinder was my problem child, and there was oil in the spark plug tube. Is that a big problem?

The car runs amazing now, no lights except the check VSC popped on but the car is running great.

Also I was having a horrible time accessing cylinder 2 and 4 to change the plugs. I will do all of the plugs eventually but I ran out of time tonight.
Glad you fixed it. There are spark plug tube seals that can wear out over time. This may be the source of the oil. They often come with a replacement valve cover gasket kit and will be changed out at the same time. Valve cover gaskets are a known issue on this car at higher mileage. You may want to check them out and see if they are leaking. Some on this site say the valve cover gaskets are easy to change out, others say it is a more involved task. I haven't done it myself but may do it some day soon as I can see a slight seepage.

Quick Reply: My sick baby