LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Think It Is Totaled?

Old 08-28-15, 08:02 AM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
i would see how much it will cost to buy your car back.then either sell it or part it out if possible.i had a car i bought back for $50 and sold it for $500 in 1999.i would bet you could sell it and make pretty good money.good luck.
If I want to keep the car they want to give me $4k less..... Don't think the vehicle is worth $4k as is.... Though I'm sure the parts are worth many times that.
Old 08-28-15, 08:37 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ejthomp
The company responsible for hitting my wife....

They came back totaled today, gave us an offer and said we have to return the rental car on Monday.

The offer isn't bad, but why do I have to rush to find a car? They say it is their policy to give 3 days after extending offer.
They are simply trying to rush you as much as possible because they want to settle these things without getting lawyers involved. Truthfully though, I can understand them not just letting people have a rental car on their dime for weeks on end to find a car. I've looked for a car for months.

I'm not sure what type of insurance you have, but you may want to give your own insurance company involved or ask them for advice. They know the process and can possibly help you recoup more.

If you feel the offer is fair then take it, but you shouldn't be out so much as a dime considering the other person put you in this situation. Their job is to low ball you and pay out as little as possible, so if this is their first offer, I would at the very least make a counter but have solid data in front of them for why you think it's worth more. If you say just put on new tires on the car that was totaled, just had a major recent repair (like a timing belt job), a list of comparable LS with that low mileage, etc.

The worst they can do is say is "no".
Old 08-28-15, 08:38 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

if it were me,i would keep the car as i believe you could sell it and make good money.search salvage yards for prices.just the engine should bring $2k with records.i am shore the insurance co will make more then that when it goes to the auction.
Old 08-28-15, 08:39 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by ejthomp
If I want to keep the car they want to give me $4k less..... Don't think the vehicle is worth $4k as is.... Though I'm sure the parts are worth many times that.
The reality is, the only way you will be made whole for your auto loss is to include damages (payment) for personal injury, etc. Whether we like it or not, that's the way the auto insurance industry "works" today.
Old 08-28-15, 09:14 AM
BradTank
Racer

if it were me,i would keep the car as i believe you could sell it and make good money.search salvage yards for prices.just the engine should bring $2k with records.i am shore the insurance co will make more then that when it goes to the auction.
My wife would kill me.

The problem is most people are just not going to want to put that sort of work into stripping down a car to its bare parts like that on the side and store a vehicle, but there's definitely situations where it makes sense to take a totaled vehicle.

At $4,000 though, I don't see a lot of "easy money" from a DIY'er being made on it unless you really want to get your hands dirty.
Old 08-28-15, 09:43 AM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
My wife would kill me.

The problem is most people are just not going to want to put that sort of work into stripping down a car to its bare parts like that on the side and store a vehicle, but there's definitely situations where it makes sense to take a totaled vehicle.

At $4,000 though, I don't see a lot of "easy money" from a DIY'er being made on it unless you really want to get your hands dirty.

Yeah... I'll just park it on the street and invite guys over to u-pick.

I'm sure that would go over well in the neighborhood!
Old 08-28-15, 12:16 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

if you got a good spare tire and factory wheel,remove it before they take the car away.it will sell on ebay for a couple of hundred bucks.the factory wheels on the car should bring $800+ with good rubber.if you were in ga i would buy it for $5k.

Last edited by jimbosr1; 08-28-15 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-28-15, 04:07 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Lol if it has an Ecru interior I can guarantee you about $1k in parts from me alone.
Old 08-28-15, 04:54 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

sample of what these cars go for http://www.carfrom.us/car/search/act...ke=LEXUS_LS430
the damage the op has is way less then some of these.and being a ul is going to add a good bit of money.

Last edited by jimbosr1; 08-28-15 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-28-15, 05:25 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

if you got a good spare tire and factory wheel,remove it before they take the car away.it will sell on ebay for a couple of hundred bucks.the factory wheels on the car should bring $800+ with good rubber.if you were in ga i would buy it for $5k.
You know, you can buy salvage cars and strip them down anytime you want, you don't have to wait until you're involved in a wreck.

You could make a few bucks, that's why the salvage yards buy them, but you could also make a few extra bucks working at a junk yard on your weekends off.

If the insurance company could get more for it, they would, so it's probably a fair market price.
Old 08-28-15, 05:43 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Originally Posted by Coulter
You know, you can buy salvage cars and strip them down anytime you want, you don't have to wait until you're involved in a wreck.

You could make a few bucks, that's why the salvage yards buy them, but you could also make a few extra bucks working at a junk yard on your weekends off.

If the insurance company could get more for it, they would, so it's probably a fair market price.
i was in the restoration business for years after my military service.i have been to countless insurance auctions so i know what i am talking about,and you are right you dont have to wreck a car to part it out.
Old 08-28-15, 05:43 PM
jomega29
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
FWIW
My wife and I were rear ended about 2 years ago sitting at a stop light. We were injured. My wife to the point that she spent a night in the hospital. The driver's insurance company wanted to settle immediately, and offered to cover the car, pay us 500 dollars and cover our medical bills. The car was totaled (2002 Pontiac Bonneville) and they offered us 3900 for the car, which was fine with me.

I ended up getting a lawyer and we eventually settled for 105K, of which the lawyer promptly took 33%....

We ended up with almost 60K, of which 12,000 was used for medical bills. We still walked away with a good amount of change, but my wife went through surgery on her shoulder and my neck bothers me every once in a while.

Just glad that your family was not injured. Cars can be replaced...
This depends on the state your in also im in ny which is a "no fault" state other states the insurance companies are not obligated to force no fault on the policy thats why ny has such hi insurance rates. If you have a personal injury protection aka pip on your policy your medical bills dont come out of your settlement, pip and no fault only covers injuries for the people in the vehicles, i recomend that if you dont live in a no fault state that you have pip on your policy so your medical bills dont come out of your settlement
Old 08-28-15, 05:44 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I would say not a total loss..just my guess. No engine damage or similar so I think they will fix it.
Old 08-28-15, 05:47 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Originally Posted by jomega29
This depends on the state your in also im in ny which is a "no fault" state other states the insurance companies are not obligated to force no fault on the policy thats why ny has such hi insurance rates. If you have a personal injury protection aka pip on your policy your medical bills dont come out of your settlement, pip and no fault only covers injuries for the people in the vehicles, i recomend that if you dont live in a no fault state that you have pip on your policy so your medical bills dont come out of your settlement
good advice!
Old 08-28-15, 05:59 PM
BradTank
Racer

i was in the restoration business for years after my military service.i have been to countless insurance auctions so i know what i am talking about,and you are right you dont have to wreck a car to part it out.
You can get one that hasn't been wrecked for not much more.

I wouldn't be tripping over myself to have it in my front yard on blocks pulling it apart for beer money.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Think It Is Totaled?