LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Aux input

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-15, 01:48 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Aux input

A question for my fellow electric and audiophile gurus. Do these device's connections look like they will provide a real AUX input? What I mean is, will it give me the %100 high quality sound audio that newer cars are equipped with? Or is it some sort of an override over AM or FM waves that sound terrible?

You guys think it looks like a good option, or is it better to just stick with a VAISTECH?

THanks.

Old 08-22-15, 03:00 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

KiNg, I'm a VaisTech MML guy, others like Grom. The wiring on this unit: (1) Does the plug in harness actually fit the back of the radio on one end and the CD on the other? (2) It looks like a basic splice (daisy chain) into the CD system which is similar to the manner in which VaisTech MML is incorporated. Looks like you have to locate an accessible switch however if you want both CD and AUX capability. (3) Is there onscreen info for the Aux input? (4) Can't tell if you can still use steering wheel and onscreen controls for AUX audio. (5) It's hard to tell what sound you'd get. Is there any info regarding output frequency response and total harmonic distortion for the unit?

Vaistech MML:
Frequency Response 20-20,000 Hz
Total Harmonic Distortion 0.008% (at 1kHz) if connected to CD/SAT port (12 pin Toyota/Lexus harness)
Dynamic Range 95 dB
Signal To Noise Ratio 94 dB

Last edited by Tom57; 08-22-15 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-22-15, 04:21 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tom57
KiNg, I'm a VaisTech MML guy, others like Grom. The wiring on this unit: (1) Does the plug in harness actually fit the back of the radio on one end and the CD on the other? (2) It looks like a basic splice (daisy chain) into the CD system which is similar to the manner in which VaisTech MML is incorporated. Looks like you have to locate an accessible switch however if you want both CD and AUX capability. (3) Is there onscreen info for the Aux input? (4) Can't tell if you can still use steering wheel and onscreen controls for AUX audio. (5) It's hard to tell what sound you'd get. Is there any info regarding output frequency response and total harmonic distortion for the unit? Vaistech MML: Frequency Response 20-20,000 Hz Total Harmonic Distortion 0.008% (at 1kHz) if connected to CD/SAT port (12 pin Toyota/Lexus harness) Dynamic Range 95 dB Signal To Noise Ratio 94 dB
Appreciate the feedback Tom, exactly what I was wanting to find out.

1- yes, it's specifically made to fit 2004-2006 LS430 models.

2- seller says you can use BOTH the 6 disc CD changer and this device. The controls on the device will appear on the screen as CD #2.

3- no soundtrack names or anything like that. It will only show up as track #1, #2, #3 etc. Just like it would on our Stone Age CD changer.

4- yes, the steering controls will be enabled and should work exactly like it does with CD's.

5- here is the websites URL, I don't really understand the way they have it layed out(Chinese company, seems like). If you can give it a look, that'd be awesome. http://www.yatour.net/shop/?type=detail&id=53

Thanks again Tom!

I'm only considering it against Vais and Grom because it only costs $90. Think those two manufacturers are north of $180, right?
Old 08-22-15, 05:48 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

The unit has decent audio specs:
Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20KHz (same as VaisTech)
Total Harmonic Distortion: .05% (a bit higher than VaisTech but not bad)
Signal to Noise Ratio 90 db (5 db less than VaisTech but not bad)

VaisTech is $225+ (might get discount for CL - they are a CL vendor - or free shipping - they usually offer discount around holidays).
Old 08-22-15, 06:32 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

The unit has decent audio specs: Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20KHz (same as VaisTech) Total Harmonic Distortion: .05% (a bit higher than VaisTech but not bad) Signal to Noise Ratio 90 db (5 db less than VaisTech but not bad) VaisTech is $225+ (might get discount for CL - they are a CL vendor - or free shipping - they usually offer discount around holidays).
saweeet. Thanks Tom.

I think I'll be getting a couple of them then and maybe post them up for sale, if the sound quality will be similar or very close to Vaistech.

Are there any extra features on the Vais that would justify the extra cash?
Old 08-22-15, 09:52 PM
abbyNormal
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at the wiring diagrams and the instructions on their website, I'm pretty sure they are tapping into the CAN bus for communication and the audio inputs for audio signal. So the quality should be limited only by the device itself and whatever the audio input for the CD changer (or tuner) is in the system. It certainly doesn't look like it's an FM modulation thing. That would have you connecting it to the antenna input on the audio system.

This is the wiring on the 12 pin connector (labeled "B" on the Radio module here) that their 2004+ package would be tying into. The TXM connections are CAN (networking) and the RL/RRs are some type of low level (shielded) input.

Old 08-23-15, 08:50 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
Are there any extra features on the Vais that would justify the extra cash?
Features and options is a personal decision. Here is the VaisTech MML info for you to compare to this unit: http://www.vaistech.com/site/mml.php

Also, I see the MML is now $249.99 list.
Old 08-23-15, 09:45 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Tom, do you get a nice GUI with the Vaistech? Do you see artist name, song name, lyrics etc. ?

Id justify the price increase for these functions. But if it's the same thing as the "Yatour" device, then I might just get that one.
Old 08-23-15, 10:02 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

KiNg, here are some FAQs that may help answer specific questions. http://www.vaistech.com/site/faq.php

On our Gen 4 Nav systems, you can browse by playlist and song only. (No lyrics.) Note that sound quality also depends on how the music was copied and compressed. Also note that with VaisTech, the unit automatically eliminates the annoying "I Agree" button on the screen after 15 seconds.

Here's the install manual - very easy for you - also shows how to create music files. http://www.vaistech.com/manuals/Manual_MML.pdf

Contact Eugene Kaspin at VaisTech: 720-733-2348 or info@vaistech.com .
Old 08-23-15, 02:45 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

KiNg, here are some FAQs that may help answer specific questions. http://www.vaistech.com/site/faq.php

On our Gen 4 Nav systems, you can browse by playlist and song only. (No lyrics.) Note that sound quality also depends on how the music was copied and compressed. Also note that with VaisTech, the unit automatically eliminates the annoying "I Agree" button on the screen after 15 seconds.

Here's the install manual - very easy for you - also shows how to create music files. http://www.vaistech.com/manuals/Manual_MML.pdf

Contact Eugene Kaspin at VaisTech: 720-733-2348 or info@vaistech.com .
Thanks again for the info Tom. I think song name is a really big important factor for me. Would make life way much easier

I think I'll wait till I can get the Vaistech...

Do you have pics of your screen and setup?

Last edited by KING; 08-23-15 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-23-15, 03:05 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

See post 5: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...r-isimple.html