LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Smart key not recognized

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-15, 06:52 PM
JHC828
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any idea where this part is located in the car? I'd like to take it apart and look at it... Since the one I have is apparently broken anyway.

I don't understand why, when following the directions online to reprogram a remote (to lock/unlock doors) I can initiate the sequence and go all through the steps but at the end it will lock twice, in stead of once, which means programming failed. It obviously recognizes the old key, it will even do that with the new key. But, when trying to program the new key for the ignition it will not work, says "Key is Different" every time I put it in.
Old 09-04-15, 08:34 PM
JHC828
Driver School Candidate

Anyone? I'd like to find the part and take a look at it before dropping $700 on a new one.
Old 09-05-15, 01:37 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

ebay often sells valet keys as smart keys. read Wikipedia and learn all about smart keys make sure your keys have a car with trunk open on them.
Old 09-05-15, 11:40 AM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm having the same problem too. I just bought my 2005 UL and I'm having issues with the smart key. I checked the button under the dash and it's depressed. I have 3 keys total and they all don't work. I have to have the key in the ignition to start. Plus the doors and trunk don't open with the exterior buttons. Where can I find the reset procedures for this car?
Old 09-05-15, 05:48 PM
JHC828
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 5t341th
I'm having the same problem too. I just bought my 2005 UL and I'm having issues with the smart key. I checked the button under the dash and it's depressed. I have 3 keys total and they all don't work. I have to have the key in the ignition to start. Plus the doors and trunk don't open with the exterior buttons. Where can I find the reset procedures for this car?
Apparently it has to be programmed with Techstream at the dealer. That's what I've concluded from my research. I tried to have the key I got with the car (that never worked as it should) and they weren't able. Bought a new key and it won't program either. The dealer told me the theft-computer module had locked up and has to be replaced in order to use the smart key system. That part is $700. I was asking if there was anyone on here that knows where in the car this module/computer is located but no one has answered me.
Old 09-05-15, 05:53 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by JHC828
Anyone? I'd like to find the part and take a look at it before dropping $700 on a new one.
Old 09-05-15, 06:00 PM
JHC828
Driver School Candidate

^^ Thanks!
Old 02-15-16, 01:52 PM
nickburke
Driver School Candidate

So did anyone ever figure out what the problem was? I have a 2004 LS430 and my fobs work to unlock/lock and open the trunk, but none of the exterior door lock unlock buttons work. When I try to start the car it sometimes will not allow me to put the smartkey in the ignition and I have to mess with it for a while in order to get the key in and get it to start. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-16-16, 08:45 PM
JHC828
Driver School Candidate

I bought the new computer module and keys but haven't had it put in/programed yet. I had intended on doing it several months ago but I had a fender-bender and quit driving the car. I need to get the bumper replaced and painted and then drop it off at the dealer and see if they can fix the keys. I've spent a lot of money on it already and now it's just sitting in the garage.

Anyone else bought the part and had it successfully replaced and programed?
Old 10-18-16, 06:24 PM
JHC828
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE:

Just got the car back from the Toyota dealership today. They had it for 3 days total (mainly waiting on a new fuse/relay the blew while working on it). They installed the new computer and both keys (the old/original one and the new one bought directly from Lexus). Everything functions as it should with the exception of the keyless ignition. The buttons on the doors and trunk work and the lock/unlock on the keys work. You can enter the car without taking the key out of your pocket, but the car will not start without the key in the ignition. I don't get any message when attempting to start it without the key, the steering wheel comes down when I push in to turn the fob but nothing else happens. Put either key in and it starts just fine. At this point I'm just glad to have they keyless entry fixed. Inserting the key/fob into the ignition isn't that big of a deal. I'm glad I don't have to pull out the blade/metal key and unlock the door every time now.
Old 10-19-16, 05:28 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by JHC828
UPDATE:

Just got the car back from the Toyota dealership today. They had it for 3 days total (mainly waiting on a new fuse/relay the blew while working on it). They installed the new computer and both keys (the old/original one and the new one bought directly from Lexus). Everything functions as it should with the exception of the keyless ignition. The buttons on the doors and trunk work and the lock/unlock on the keys work. You can enter the car without taking the key out of your pocket, but the car will not start without the key in the ignition. I don't get any message when attempting to start it without the key, the steering wheel comes down when I push in to turn the fob but nothing else happens. Put either key in and it starts just fine. At this point I'm just glad to have they keyless entry fixed. Inserting the key/fob into the ignition isn't that big of a deal. I'm glad I don't have to pull out the blade/metal key and unlock the door every time now.
I can totally relate, I purchased my car almost 3 wks ago and discovered the driver door didn't work. To make matters worse, the spring thing that holds the blade key in and out, broke upon changing the battery. So wanting to leave the remaining working fob alone, I used this broken one, and had to not only use the key to lock/unlock, but I needed to stick another key in the groove, to hold the key in the out position, and turn the lock. WHAT A PITA! Luckily the dealer who sold the car had no problem fixing the actuator for $0. Now, the entire system works like a charm. As luck would have it, shortly thereafter discovered a new issue, that the telescope wasn't working well. Since you can't have it all I pulled the fuse....