LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Stuck climate control button or....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-15, 03:17 PM
xf30ul
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stuck climate control button or....

I just picked up a 2001 Ultra Luxury LS430, and somehow managed to ruin the driver side temp control buttons. It's permanently stuck on max hot......in the middle of summer

The up temp button is no longer a button, it doesn't click. It's seems like it's always depressed. Is this just an issue of replacing the buttons or is there something else going? I can't even disable dual climate control.

Otherwise it's a pretty nice ride.

Stuck climate control button or....-bpzbbdz.jpg
Old 08-17-15, 03:43 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

The temp buttons (up / down arrows) don't click. Simply push the button in the desired direction of temp. "Dual" can be disengaged by pushing the "Dual" center switch on the driver's side.
Old 08-17-15, 04:04 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by xf30ul
I just picked up a 2001 Ultra Luxury LS430, and somehow managed to ruin the driver side temp control buttons. It's permanently stuck on max hot......in the middle of summer

The up temp button is no longer a button, it doesn't click. It's seems like it's always depressed. Is this just an issue of replacing the buttons or is there something else going? I can't even disable dual climate control.

Otherwise it's a pretty nice ride.
What bad timing! The national news broadcasts all started their stories with the record heat temps countrywide!

So, the buttons never really have a 'click' sound nor 'click' sensation to them. They are a soft-touch, soft-push sort of sensation. No mechanical noises at all. The picture really doesn't appear that the button is permanently pushed in. Or is it?

Were your buttons at one point operational, and then because of the CA traffic, you punched the dash where the buttons are? Just asking because it sounds like the buttons USED TO work, but now they don't?

To check if the dual button is working, change the passenger temp to something other than max hot. (When you adjust the pass temp to something other than max hot, the green LED representing DUAL should illuminate.) If it doesn't illuminate, and if you can't adjust the passenger temp to something other than max hot, then I think there's something else going on, and not necessarily the driver's side button that you're investigating.

Regardless, there is a thread related to button removal here... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...umination.html

It seems as if the button assembly can be carefully pryed out and removed, although I can't guarantee the result.

Could it be something crazy electronically locked up? You might want to disconnect the battery, wait a couple minutes, then reconnect and re-check.
Old 08-17-15, 04:12 PM
xf30ul
Rookie

The up temp button does not come back up. It is permanently pushed down. Even if I used a sharp edge to get the button face back up, the button push down feels like it's collapsing, no feedback that it's a button push at all.

When I push the center dual climate button on the driver side, it does not disengage dual climate, no matter how many times I press it.

The passenger temp buttons work fine, and the temperature adjusts accordingly.

Yes, everything was working perfectly fine this morning, and then on the way to work, the button took a dump. When I felt the cabin was too cold (never again in the middle of summer will I up the temperature). I'll try disconnecting the battery. Hopefully that'll at least kick down the temp on the driver side from max hot.
Old 08-17-15, 05:19 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

You still have the voice command option to change temperature settings. Activate voice command by pushing a button on the left side of the steering column (see red arrow below), and then say: "75 degrees", or whatever temperature you desired.

The button may very well be stuck... If so, it will ramp the temperature back up again, unfortunately. Have you tried spraying some WD-40 or something to try to free it? You may also use duct tape and try to pull the button free. If that doesn't work, unplug the defective switch https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...the-radio.html and control the temperature with voice command until you get a replacement switch.

Last edited by rkw77080; 08-17-15 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-17-15, 06:42 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by rkw77080
You still have the voice command option to change temperature settings. Activate voice command by pushing a button on the left side of the steering column (see red arrow below), and then say: "75 degrees", or whatever temperature you desired.
Here we were on another thread complaining how bad the voice command system was, and here you make it a solution. Great suggestion!
Old 08-17-15, 11:51 PM
xf30ul
Rookie

Voice commands was a great suggestion. Unfortunately, I don't think the 2001 has voice commands for climate? Or am I doing it wrong. Briefly looked at the manual and didn't notice anything about that.

I found the culprit:

I guess the previous driver really liked to up the temp, kinda odd for a socal car

Ordered a replacement climate control button for the driver side. At least I'm no longer pegged to max hot for my commute. I also realized that the rear temp control is tied to the driver temp. I could use that for now if I need to warm up the cabin.

Thanks for the help. Car forums are the best
Old 08-18-15, 04:06 AM
Fixman
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Voice commands was a great suggestion. Unfortunately, I don't think the 2001 has voice commands for climate? Or am I doing it wrong. Briefly looked at the manual and didn't notice anything about that.

I found the culprit:

I guess the previous driver really liked to up the temp, kinda odd for a socal car

Ordered a replacement climate control button for the driver side. At least I'm no longer pegged to max hot for my commute. I also realized that the rear temp control is tied to the driver temp. I could use that for now if I need to warm up the cabin.

If u have a small spring that fit the rubber hole you can trim it to required length. That can be a temporary or permanent solution, the decision is up to you.
Old 08-18-15, 11:56 AM
xf30ul
Rookie

The circuit board should not be in contact when the button is pushed up. So a spring will probably not work.

When the button gets pressed, the rubber tube is deformed and pushed down to make contact with the circuit. That contact is what triggers the signal to adjust the temperature. The reason why my temp was pegged on max hot was because the rubber tube broke off and was sitting on the circuit board which the climate control assumed there was some idiot holding down the up temperature.
Old 08-18-15, 02:04 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Nicely done xf!
Old 04-26-21, 08:43 AM
cvanman
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate Control Button

I found the culprit:

I have a '01 LS430 and have a stuck passenger climate control button. What is the process for getting the button out and do you have a part number for the one you ordered?

I have a '01 LS430 and have a stuck passenger climate control button. What is the process for getting the button out and do you have a part number for the one you ordered?