LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430
View Poll Results: Have you ever had to replace your O2 aka Air/Fuel Sensor in your LS?
YES--I (or a mechanic) has replaced the O2 aka Air/Fuel Sensor
41.67%
NO--I (nor a mechanic) has ever replaced the O2 aka Air Fuel Sensor
58.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Have any of your O2 or Air/Fuel Sensors failed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-15, 12:50 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just changed mine at 165k miles. No, I did not and never had a CEL, but they were bad and causing a lot of engine knock. The pinging was driving me nuts and for a long time was misdiagnosed as being caused by bad gas, bad MAF, bad plugs, you name it. Got new Denso sensors for a hundred bucks and had em installed, problem solved. No more engine knock/pinging.
Old 08-14-15, 01:42 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by ancdmd
I just changed mine at 165k miles. No, I did not and never had a CEL, but they were bad and causing a lot of engine knock. The pinging was driving me nuts and for a long time was misdiagnosed as being caused by bad gas, bad MAF, bad plugs, you name it. Got new Denso sensors for a hundred bucks and had em installed, problem solved. No more engine knock/pinging.
Your case is an example of no CEL yet the O2 sensors had failed.

Last edited by Tom57; 08-14-15 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-14-15, 01:49 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Thumbs down poll results represent nothing other than some members aren't following instructions

Originally Posted by Tom57
The poll question asks if the O2 sensors were changed "because of a CEL light." Perhaps many members are like me, Lav, and others who change the O2 sensors (at least front/pre-cat sensors) before the check engine light!

I worded it to include "because of the CEL" to see the results of exactly that. Nothing else.

Perhaps you can create the next poll question and phrase it in any manner you choose.

Already, with barely a dozen voters, the results are skewed, because of members who didn't follow the instructions of the poll.
Old 08-14-15, 02:36 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
I worded it to include "because of the CEL" to see the results of exactly that. Nothing else.

Perhaps you can create the next poll question and phrase it in any manner you choose.

Already, with barely a dozen voters, the results are skewed, because of members who didn't follow the instructions of the poll.
No need to get snippy, Ara. I have no interest in conducting any such poll.

I helped you in your other main thread to find the correct O2 OEM replacement sensor for your needs, here I was trying to help you with your unscientific poll.

"NO" in your poll may mean two different things based on the way you defined "NO". "NO" could mean the member hasn't changed the O2 sensors because no CEL, or "NO" the member hasn't changed the O2 sensors "because of a CEL" but did replace the O2 sensors. For example, member ancdmd didn't have a CEL, but he replaced the O2 sensors and was a "YES" in your poll - even though your poll wants only "YES" if the O2 sensors were replaced "because of a CEL." I didn't respond to your poll because I don't know if I'm a "YES" or "NO" or my experience is not covered by the poll.
Old 08-14-15, 05:42 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

No need to get snippy, Ara. I have no interest in conducting any such poll.

I helped you in your other main thread to find the correct O2 OEM replacement sensor for your needs, here I was trying to help you with your unscientific poll.

"NO" in your poll may mean two different things based on the way you defined "NO". "NO" could mean the member hasn't changed the O2 sensors because no CEL, or "NO" the member hasn't changed the O2 sensors "because of a CEL" but did replace the O2 sensors. For example, member ancdmd didn't have a CEL, but he replaced the O2 sensors and was a "YES" in your poll - even though your poll wants only "YES" if the O2 sensors were replaced "because of a CEL." I didn't respond to your poll because I don't know if I'm a "YES" or "NO" or my experience is not covered by the poll.
lol. I had a feeling you'd pull the 'you have an attitude card'. I really don't have one, Tom. That's the worst part.
You can't walk back your original statements/reply on the poll and say there were 2 different NO replies/interpretations? Your comment was,
The poll question asks if the O2 sensors were changed "because of a CEL light." Perhaps many members are like me, Lav, and others who change the O2 sensors (at least front/pre-cat sensors) before the check engine light!

I even rephrased the question to help it be more clear. I wasn't exactly sure how the poll or what the poll questions would be, because the creation of a poll type post is convoluted. My TRUE questions were in BOLD PRINT. That's why I made them bold, but then after creating the post, I was sent to yet another screen asking for the questions & answers. The absolute question was at the top, but the clarification and details and the supporting information to what the intention of the poll was seeking was in bold, in the body of the post under the poll questions. Somehow, even with my attempt to make sure there's no confusion, there was. I'm not sure if it was me just not clear enough or not. Somehow, I'm sure someone would comment they voted a certain way because of xyz, even though they weren't options.

Again, you can't go into a poll and then throw a variable as a voter and skew the results, and furthermore skew OTHER people's minds on how they vote. The variable of changing the sensor "just because" wasn't there. And you can't add your own "perhaps" line in there either. That is why I said you're free and able to create any poll questions that you desire. All I'm emphasizing is don't add a variable to my situation, that wasn't there, based on my creation of the poll.

Again, that's why I stated it should be a simple yes/no based on the CEL code telling you of a bad sensor. Not who has done it EVER. Not who's done itf for preventive reasons. Not who's done it because they are bored. Not who's done it to improve fuel economy.

Regarding attitude & snippy-ness, It would have been just as inappropriate if I said it to you, when you said in what I perceived as snippy, that you and Lav and others have replaced it, regardless of the CEL. You see, I felt offended and belittled and ganged up on, and could have used the 'attitude' card of you guys against me, but I didn't, because I didn't think that was your disposition.

Just as wrong as it is for you to call me snippy, it would have been wrong to call you snippy after your reply that you and Lav and others have done abcxyz.

Let's not forget I used the same snippy word "perhaps" that you said to me. Why would there be no snippy-ness when you say to me, but when said to you, it's snippy?

You're an extremely intelligent guy and very helpful contributor here on the forum. However pulling the 'attitude' card on me is inappropriate.
Old 08-14-15, 05:54 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Hey Tom?! Can I ask you a question? Going past the snippy this snippy that, if you've viewed the poll, and understand it (you understood it during your post (today #15 at 12:21pm but added your own variable to un-understand it, lol), and never changed your O2 sensors because of a CEL (the true poll question), why haven't you voted NO yet?

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 08-14-15 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-14-15, 06:35 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Hey Tom, me again. I hate to drag this on and be kind of an unproductive conversation, but I'm realizing something now. You're right about the poll not being really clear. I copied and pasted from the very 1st post (my post) below. I placed some in bold for emphasis.

Starting at the top, the THREAD NAME is, "Have any of your O2 or Air/Fuel Sensors Failed?"

When you click on the thread, the top line of my very 1st post says, "Have any of your O2 or Air/Fuel Sensors failed?"

On my very 1st post, my very 1st sentence says, "THIS IS A YES/NO POLL."

On my very first post, after my first sentence, I asked in bold, "
Have you ever had to replace an O2 or Air/Fuel sensor on your LS since you've owned it?"

Then, finally, my 5th and final rephrase of the poll question says, "Because of a "check engine light", have you ever had to replace an O2 or Air/Fuel sensor on your LS?"

My poll was extremely clear. You would have had the same NO answer to each and all those clarifying questions.

Where was the confusion?
Old 08-23-15, 06:44 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

I wish more than just 17 people answered the poll.

Tom, still wondering which answer to submit? Every vote counts!!!
Old 08-28-15, 04:06 PM
FatCat23
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes

Yes. CEL on and when I read the code it showed the heating circuit had failed.
Old 06-03-16, 10:38 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by dirklately
Well, I have now. Just got a P0155 (O2 sensor Bank 2 sensor 1) code this week. The car is a 2001 LS430UL with 37K miles. I wonder, should I replace more than the one that failed?
No. I replaced one 3 years ago and have not had any of the other 3 fail on me.
Old 06-03-16, 03:25 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by dirklately
Exactly what I wanted to hear.

Thanks.
It's usually the same O2 sensor that fails for most LS430 owners.