LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

got CHECK ENGINE light & VSC & TRAC this am!!! (and i'm PISSED)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-15, 08:55 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
"Pissed" and "disappointed I have to deal with this" is a little strong for a car that is 10 years old with 134K miles.

Were you expecting flawless forever?
LOL! Great question. The answer is:

Yea, pretty much! Who has the commercial, "own 1, and you'll understand"? I think Nissan? Well, it should have been Lexus.

If/when something breaks (or is out of the norm) on the car, IT IS a surprise. A HUGE surprise. I can understand a 'tire low' warning or a flat tire, etc, but when something mechanically/electronic fails, I am really surprised. But you're right. "Disappointed" is a little strong.

"Pissed that i have to deal with this" are my sentiments exactly.

Perfection is without exception, flawless. That's very close to describing the reliability of the 430. We all know this.
Old 08-12-15, 11:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
If/when something breaks (or is out of the norm) on the car, IT IS a surprise. A HUGE surprise. I can understand a 'tire low' warning or a flat tire, etc, but when something mechanically/electronic fails, I am really surprised. But you're right. "Disappointed" is a little strong.
An O2 sensor failing on a 2015 LS460 you can be "disappointed", on a 10 year old 135k mile LS430...any disappointment comes from unrealistic expectations.

Yes they are very reliable vehicles, but they are machines, and nothing lasts forever. Your car's most reliable and problem free days are certainly behind it...you have to accept that you're going to have failures and repairs that are required over time moving forward. That O2 sensor is a decade old, and has been operated on the equivalent 5 times around the circumference of the earth. Its failure is neither surprising nor premature.

Having owned older Lexus vehicles as old as yours and older, a check engine light requiring an O2 sensor replacement wouldn't even irk or frustrate me in the slightest. Thats baby stuff, and par for the course when operating something that old.
Old 08-12-15, 11:23 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
An O2 sensor failing on a 2015 LS460 you can be "disappointed", on a 10 year old 135k mile LS430...any disappointment comes from unrealistic expectations.

Yes they are very reliable vehicles, but they are machines, and nothing lasts forever. Your car's most reliable and problem free days are certainly behind it...you have to accept that you're going to have failures and repairs that are required over time moving forward. That O2 sensor is a decade old, and has been operated on the equivalent 5 times around the circumference of the earth. Its failure is neither surprising nor premature.

Having owned older Lexus vehicles as old as yours and older, a check engine light requiring an O2 sensor replacement wouldn't even irk or frustrate me in the slightest. Thats baby stuff, and par for the course when operating something that old.
Have to agree with you here. It's a Lexus but it's a car at the end of the day and they wear out. It will be worse in any part of the rust belt in North America. O2 sensors are peanuts and are easy to replace by the DiY mechanic.

There are some common problem with this car as they age (hole in Y-pipe, door lock motor, wheel speed sensor, etc) but they are all pretty simple and cheap to fix - especially if you use the resources of this site. If you maintain it well you don't have to worry about failed transmissions or engines (like some German cars I know) and can enjoy a 50-80k priced car that goes like a scalded cat for under 15 grand.
Old 08-13-15, 04:13 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

If t makes you feel any better both my O2 sensors failed within 15k of each other around 75k miles. It happened to the previous owner and replaced under their extended warranty.
Old 08-13-15, 11:06 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

My 2002 had a P0155 B2S1 O2 Sensor Heater Element failure in 2010 (1 year after I bought the car), at 84000km. Replaced it myself with a $75USD Denso 234-4630 which is exactly the same as a Lexus 89465-50130. All other O2 sensors in my car are original, car is now 13.42 years in service, at 135000kms.

I am expecting my B1S1, B1S2, and B2S2 sensors to fail sometime "before the wheels fall off", as they say.

Regarding the Techstream packages people sell online, especially the Chinese ones, those antivirus warnings are NOT false warnings. Those are CDs/minidiscs they ship with are definitely infected with shady software, because there is no activation required nor or any executable code modification required to use Techstream 9.10.037 or any version before that.

There are legitimate reasons to use Techstream without an active Internet connection, as many dealerships do when their Internet goes out or for devices not near WiFi, etc.

The only 2 files you need are 1) an uninfected version of the mini-VCI Toyota driver and 2) a clean Techstream installation. You do not need to run any supposed "activation" file or any other executables. You can find a clean install of Techstream from Toyota or any other source more reputable than a shady miniCD from China.
Old 08-15-15, 04:05 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Default started DIY over 5 hours ago

So I've been working on and off for about 5 hours now. She's up on jackstands and let me tell you what. This is a PITA DIY! Using jackstands for this job is for the birds. I should have taken it to the dealer.

Anyway, I started with taking both the undercarriage plastic shrouds off. The forward/large shroud has (18) 10mm screws holding it up in place. The rear/small shroud has (4) 10mm screws and (2) 10mm nuts holding it up in place. You need to take them off to gain access to the passenger side front O2 sensor. This is observed in pics #1 and #2. It's pretty cool to view the engine from underneath, and both of those shrouds removed.

Anyway...be sure to wear safety glasses. Lot's of little stuff will fall down. Especially if you're doing it monkey style like me, lying on my back on a hard-*** concrete garage, and burning your wrist and face with a 100w droplight!!! This is SUCH a PIA DIY.

So, after removing the shrouds, I struggled for like, about 2 hours trying to figure out not only WHERE the connector is, but HOW it works! I find it by tugging on the wires at the sensor, and if you look BEHIND THE ALTERNATOR, you'll see the connector. The connector is mounted onto a metal bracket attached via 10mm bolt

I read the other thread regarding frustration with the clip/connector, but all the explanation in the world wasn't helping me, and I just had to fiddle and fiddle and fiddle. 2 hours later and almost giving up, I disconnected the 10mm bolt that held the connector's BRACKET in place. Take it easy on me. I'm not the sharpest tool, LOL! Once that 10mm bolt was removed, you could then rotate the connector (still attached to the bracket) and observe and try to decipher how it works.

After another 30mins looking and pushing and squeezing and observing and swearing and using every f-ing tool I had to try to separate them, with the most simple tool that is always attached to your hand, your INDEX FINGER, I pushed as hard as I could on the "magical spot" and I heard the CLICK. That was my key to freedom, literally! On the thread here ----> https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post9143900, there's more discussion about it.

Anyway, after the click, 10m later I had enough strength and fortitude and pulled the sensor side of the connector free from the engine side of the connector. I think anyone who does this job would have more success if they did what I did, which was taking the 10mm bolt off that held the bracket of this connector, to the frame of the car. Again, be aware this is a PIA DIY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, there is 1 wire-tie that secures the sensor's wire harness about 1/2 way from the sensor to the connector. This is only to secure the wire so it doesn't flop around, etc. I spent probably another 45mins off and on trying to figure it out, and then finally gave up and merely broke the plastic connector free from the metal tie-down point. No issue what so ever, because you can just get a plastic tie-wrap, (even a bread tie if you're a miser) and re-secure the wire in place when you're done.

So, about 5 hours later I'm a whole 40% completed the job!?!?!?!? (what a joke!)

So, before I put my nifty O2 sensor socket adaptor thingy on the sensor, I sprayed some PB Blaster up into the connector. Of course, my aim wasn't that great, and it sprays everywhere except the sensor's threads, which, by the way, are mostly hidden because of an aluminum shroud. So I have PB Blaster smeared on my safety glasses, down my wrist, and finally on the sensor. I take another break, and repeating in my head I should have taken this to the dealer!!!

After this break, I tried every combination of 3/8 drive ratchets + extensions + swivel adaptors to a 1/2 drive ratchet + extensions + swivel adaptors to get a good secure grip on the sensor and try to loosen it. And try to loosen it. And come back 15min later, and try to loosen it, and try to loosen it.

After another hour of trying to figure out the best way to get a hold of the sensor and loosen it, I broke it free. It loosened about 1/100th of a rotation. Because there's such little room to swing the ratchet, it's a very very painful process! Did I tell you this is a PIA DIY?

I ended up using a 1/2 inch drive with a 3/8 adaptor because the gizmo I bought is for a 3/8 in drive socket. I honestly can't remember the perfect combo of devices to use, but this is where I am now! Hours and hours and hours since I started the job, I have the sensor loose about 1/4 revolution. THAT'S IT!!!!!!

Be careful when doing all this prying, twisting, pushing, etc, or you'll end up like me, with the infamous skin shave! Be careful of the EDGE OF THE OIL PAN. It's very very sharp. That's what caused my skin shave sensation in the pic.

So, where I stand now is the sensor is probably 1/4 revolution loosened. I'm not sure if I feel more stupid for taking pics and uploading to here and writing about the experience, or not taking it to the dealer.

Anyway....the GF is pissed because I've been working on this thing all damn day. Let me go back out and see if I can loosen it the rest of the way. Once that's done, I'm 50% home free.

I'll post the conclusion of my experience IF/when I'm done. That might be in a couple days. Who knows. This totally sucks. I can't begin to imagine the DRIVERS side which is supposed to be more difficult, or the post cat sensors. This is a really sucky way to spend my entire Saturday afternoon, I mean like ENTIRE Saturday afternoon. Stay tuned......
Attached Thumbnails got CHECK ENGINE light & VSC & TRAC this am!!! (and i'm PISSED)-lex11.jpg   got CHECK ENGINE light & VSC & TRAC this am!!! (and i'm PISSED)-lex8.jpg   got CHECK ENGINE light & VSC & TRAC this am!!! (and i'm PISSED)-lex10.jpg   got CHECK ENGINE light & VSC & TRAC this am!!! (and i'm PISSED)-lex5.jpg   got CHECK ENGINE light & VSC & TRAC this am!!! (and i'm PISSED)-lex12.jpg  

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 08-15-15 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-15-15, 05:41 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Default She's out!

After tightening and loosening and tightening and loosening and tightening and loosening, SHE'S OUT! So my noon project just took a turn for the better!!! Stay tuned...

(The trick is to tighten and loosen and tighten and loosen the sensor). Each time it would loosen just slightlyyyyyyyy a little more at a time. Unreal!
Attached Thumbnails got CHECK ENGINE light & VSC & TRAC this am!!! (and i'm PISSED)-lex02.jpg   got CHECK ENGINE light & VSC & TRAC this am!!! (and i'm PISSED)-lex01.jpg  
Old 08-15-15, 05:54 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

i hope you have had a tekness shot LOL
good job!
Old 08-15-15, 06:38 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Default premature celebration

So, if you observe the old vs new sensor, the old sensor threads are A.F.U.

I can't get the new sensor to thread. As another poster posted, I think I'm in some deep doo-doo...
Old 08-15-15, 06:47 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by Bob04
"Pissed" and "disappointed I have to deal with this" is a little strong for a car that is 10 years old with 134K miles.

Were you expecting flawless forever?
Well. after 8+ hours and still working on fixing it, yea, I'm AM "pissed and disappointed I have to deal with this!" You see, it wasn't just pissed and disappointed of the CEL. It's all the work one has to do to right the situation. And before anyone say it, SURE, I could have easily taken this thing to the dealer. I know this, and was saying that from the moment I burned my wrist on my droplight while laying on my back and my nose hitting the control arm.

The new sensor won't thread into the exhaust. Apparently I need a TAP, and I'm fresh out. Maybe the Walgreens across the street sells them? This is BS.
Old 08-15-15, 07:26 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I know how it is. It sucks when things are not going as planned. Relax and take it easy tonight. Give it another try tomorrow. If it's still a problem consider having a mobile mechanic come over and give you a hand. That would be cheaper then towing it to a dealer or an independent shop.
Old 08-15-15, 09:28 PM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few Lexus and I can say vsc Trac and engine check will come on all together as one ,everytime you get a MIL code. I came across this in my ls400 and 430 . I would turn on the car and when the light comes on, I usually turn it off and turn right back on a few times . That will cause it to go away ,and never return . Engine check light will throw all that together .
Old 08-16-15, 06:25 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Last night, I called and sent text messages of the threads to my buddy. He's a former Ford mech and also a former LEX tech. He instructed me to thread the old sensor back in, as much as I can, and drive it over to his house in the am. I threaded sensor back in last night, and held my breath, and started the LS, and it sounded as nothing had ever happened. I only put the old sensor back in about 2 threads too.

Thinking it's going to fall out during the drive today, I went to fill up with gas last night, around 11pm, so that, if the sensor fell out, and the exhaust was loud as s_ _ _, I wouldn't be as embarrassed because much fewer people are on the road much less filling up with gas. All was good!

So in addition to him saying he'll fix it for me, he also asks me if we (me + gf) wanted to go out on his boat, on the Chesapeake Bay (swimming, water skiing, drinking, etc)

This guy is awesome, but the only downside is he lives about 45+minutes away. He has a shop on the backside of his house, with a hydraulic lift and all.

I didn't tell him yet, but I'm also going to hand him the OTHER sensor (driver side) and ask if he can replace it for me too LOL!

I'm taking food & drink over with me, but also thinking I'm going to pay to fill up his boat with gas, (might be $150?), and then also slap him another $100 or 2.
Old 08-16-15, 10:43 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Good deal. Have both of them swapped since he has a lift and the tools.

I need to find a good independent shop myself now they I am in Princeton. Prices up here are going to suck I am sure of it. Is your friend anywhere close to Princeton?
Old 08-16-15, 06:21 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Good deal. Have both of them swapped since he has a lift and the tools.

I need to find a good independent shop myself now they I am in Princeton. Prices up here are going to suck I am sure of it. Is your friend anywhere close to Princeton?
Negative. He's about 1h south of me (Wilmington).

He's going to fix her all up and yes, I asked him to do the drivers side too.

Wondering if I'll be able to notice a difference in my typical mileage. I think typically on a normal couple of weeks I see 18-19mph, suburban type driving.

He said he'll probably drop off the Lex to my HOUSE via his flatbed in the next couple days! Dig it.

Quick Reply: got CHECK ENGINE light & VSC & TRAC this am!!! (and i'm PISSED)