LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

got CHECK ENGINE light & VSC & TRAC this am!!! (and i'm PISSED)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-15, 04:30 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Exclamation got CHECK ENGINE light & VSC & TRAC this am!!! (and i'm PISSED)

So I'm driving about 65mph on the highway to work this am, and I hear the dreaded BONG. I look at the dash with my heart in my throat, ease off the pedal, and notice the check engine light is ON, TRAC OFF is lit, and then seconds later the CHECK VSC message is on the screen, along with the big bright ugly huge RED TRIANGLE with the ! in the middle of it.. WTFFFFF!!!!!

It was only an additional 5min drive to my office, so I kept driving, but was on pins & needles & had a really uncomfortable feeling.

She didn't act funny. At all. She didn't miss nor sputter nor hesitate, engine temp stayed exactly where it should be during normal temp. Basically she didn't do anything else unusual except for the CEL, TRAC OFF, red exclamation mark, and check vsc

Fuel is at 3/4 tank. My car 100% stock. No mods, no adds, no custom nothing. She has 134k on the odometer. I drive her about 2-3 times a week (she's not my daily driver)

I haven't had any maintenance nor battery maintenance recently. (I put a new battery in her about 1.5 years ago?

The temperature was about 75 and slightly humid, but no rain. Partly sunny actually.

So I thought, after work, she'll be free and clear of any codes, etc, but NOPE! The same indications were still there. Pushing the TRAC does nothing to shut off the TRAC OFF light.

I drove about 20min back to my house, without any other noticeable issues and she's parked now.

I don't have a scan tool, but now I'm in the market for one. I know LAV is the Amazon Master, lol, so wondering which scanners you guys have or recommend?

Questions, and I know it's completely a guesses until further info can be obtained, but...

What the heck do you guys think it could be?
Should I try to anaylize myself or take to dealer or take to local auto place who will scan for free?
Should I disconnect battery and hope it clears the code?

I'm thinking I take it to a local auto place and see what they scan and go from there.

Any particular scan tool I should consider buying? I don't mind paying a couple hundred bucks for a decent scan tool, but I don't want to pay $500+ for one.

Thanks guys. Kinda disappointed I have to deal with this. 2 weeks ago I traded in a 2004 F150 (that had a mind of it's own with CEL), for a 2012 F150. The 2012 F150 is as luxurious and MORE comfortable than the LS, believe it or not. She has heated/cooled leather seats with fans so powerful, they nearly separate a t-shirt from touching ur back, LOL. The nav in the F150? Gorgeous. Not sure yet about the algorithms and direction calculations, but I'm SURE heads & tails about what our units have.

Anyway, I'll talk later about the F150. Any help with the CEL and other items would be great.

Thanks for any help guys.
Old 08-07-15, 04:33 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Get the code read. Might be something simple like a wheel speed sensor. Techstream via a laptop is the best way and pretty cheap.
Old 08-07-15, 04:40 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Get the code read. Might be something simple like a wheel speed sensor.
Wow. You replied like 10 seconds after I posted. LOL. Thanks Lav.

Do you think a wheel speed sensor would throw the CEL?

Funny you should mention wheel sensor because maybe 2 years ago? I had an intermittent TIRE LOW or LOW AIR or whatever that message reads? I immediately pulled over and checked all tires with a guage and they were all like 34-35psi (i had been driving at highway speeds).

I drove like that for a couple days, pushed the recalibrate button, and eventually went away. It was so long ago can't quite remember exactly the sequence, but wonder if what I have now is related to that incident a couple years ago.
Old 08-07-15, 05:26 PM
iToaster
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You'll often get codes that will disable the VSC and TRAC for whatever reason, they'll typically all go away when you fix the CEL. You won't know what's wrong until you figure out what the code is, but if drivability isn't impacted it's probably emissions equipment or something "minor" along those lines.
Old 08-07-15, 05:35 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

The Amazon king sayeth thou shalt search and purchase appropriate cable and software either via eBay or Amazon for current and future needs...

Seriously, Techstream is by far the best tool to own and it is true that various different sensor failures will cause the error you are seeing including oxygen sensors. Most likely it is a sensor but you do need to read the code.

Edit: Or if you are ever in the Princeton area stop by and I will read it for you.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-07-15 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-07-15, 06:18 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Thanks Lav. Guess I have some homework: Which scanner tool to buy, and take the LS to get scanned for free. I'll let you what happens. Thanks again buddy. BTW..."what exit off the NJTP are u?" is a common question NJ citizens say to eachother when meeting in far off lands, so be ready to answer that. haha.

I'm not a big NJ fan, although your state typically has the cheapest price fuel in the NJ/DE/PA area, ESPECIALLY the Valero @ exit #7 of NJTP! The link is below, but don't tell a lot of people. LOL. It's my fav gas station in the whole world, because they're consistently $.10-.20 cheaper than competitors. Awesome/convenient location too when exiting @ #7 NJTP.

Old 08-07-15, 08:19 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Good question my friend. What is my exit? I haven't a clue. I truly don't have any idea what it will exactly be like. Here is my area. I guess I am just North of Princeton proper as they say. As maybe some say? I don't know what to say. I just follow the red dot road... "Follow the red dot road. Follow the red dot road. Damnit Dorthey, or should I say Snooki. Snooki, I don't think we're in GA anymore. They won't let me pump my own gas."

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-07-15 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-07-15, 08:22 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Check out:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/New-Mini-VCI-J2534-OBD2-Diagnostic-Tool-Code-Reader-for-Lexus-Toyota-Techstream-/321761289092?nav=SEARCH
Or
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C9B...chstream+64bit
Old 08-07-15, 09:28 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

I checked out that listing on Ebay earlier!! I actually emailed him if it will be compatible with my 2005. The listing says good for 'before' 2005 but I'm just trying to get a warm & fuzzy before picking it up. I've read reviews on Amazon and about 10% of the people complain the cd is unusable & drivers are corrupt & malware, etc. We shall see.

And I think you're exit # 8A.
Old 08-08-15, 04:58 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

It will work with any Toyota, Lexus, Scion vehicle 96 and above. Software is fine, that 10% is user error.
Old 08-08-15, 06:40 AM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
So I'm driving about 65mph on the highway to work this am, and I hear the dreaded BONG. I look at the dash with my heart in my throat, ease off the pedal, and notice the check engine light is ON, TRAC OFF is lit, and then seconds later the CHECK VSC message is on the screen, along with the big bright ugly huge RED TRIANGLE with the ! in the middle of it.. WTFFFFF!!!!!

It was only an additional 5min drive to my office, so I kept driving, but was on pins & needles & had a really uncomfortable feeling.

She didn't act funny. At all. She didn't miss nor sputter nor hesitate, engine temp stayed exactly where it should be during normal temp. Basically she didn't do anything else unusual except for the CEL, TRAC OFF, red exclamation mark, and check vsc

Fuel is at 3/4 tank. My car 100% stock. No mods, no adds, no custom nothing. She has 134k on the odometer. I drive her about 2-3 times a week (she's not my daily driver)

I haven't had any maintenance nor battery maintenance recently. (I put a new battery in her about 1.5 years ago?

The temperature was about 75 and slightly humid, but no rain. Partly sunny actually.

So I thought, after work, she'll be free and clear of any codes, etc, but NOPE! The same indications were still there. Pushing the TRAC does nothing to shut off the TRAC OFF light.

I drove about 20min back to my house, without any other noticeable issues and she's parked now.

I don't have a scan tool, but now I'm in the market for one. I know LAV is the Amazon Master, lol, so wondering which scanners you guys have or recommend?

Questions, and I know it's completely a guesses until further info can be obtained, but...

What the heck do you guys think it could be?
Should I try to anaylize myself or take to dealer or take to local auto place who will scan for free?
Should I disconnect battery and hope it clears the code?

I'm thinking I take it to a local auto place and see what they scan and go from there.

Any particular scan tool I should consider buying? I don't mind paying a couple hundred bucks for a decent scan tool, but I don't want to pay $500+ for one.

Thanks guys. Kinda disappointed I have to deal with this. 2 weeks ago I traded in a 2004 F150 (that had a mind of it's own with CEL), for a 2012 F150. The 2012 F150 is as luxurious and MORE comfortable than the LS, believe it or not. She has heated/cooled leather seats with fans so powerful, they nearly separate a t-shirt from touching ur back, LOL. The nav in the F150? Gorgeous. Not sure yet about the algorithms and direction calculations, but I'm SURE heads & tails about what our units have.

Anyway, I'll talk later about the F150. Any help with the CEL and other items would be great.

Thanks for any help guys.
Are any other light lit on the dash? If you have the ABS light lit as well, it's something with the ABS system. This code is vehicle manufacturer specific can only be read with a high end scanner or techstream. If you get an engine icon lit, then it's a general code and can probably be a read by a generic cheapo scanner. If you have ABS codes I know there are several threads that will tell you how to put a paper clip between two of the terminals of the OBD2 socket under the dash to retrieve the codes. You can post the codes here and we'll tell you what they mean. Might save you buying some hardware. Just an idea.
Old 08-08-15, 07:36 AM
volson
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow that's cheap. The amazon one has the software too?
Old 08-08-15, 09:25 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

So the Ebay seller replied to my question when I asked him if his listing was 100% compatible with my 2005 Lexus, and also if I needed any other connectors, cables, etc.

His reply directs me to a different listing. Of course the listing he's suggesting I buy, costs $59.99.

I'm not a cheapskate, but I don't want him suggesting a higher priced item just because he sees me pulling up in a Lexus. A 2005 Lexus. This is his suggested reader....... http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Origina...e=STRK:MESE:IT

I hate turning this thread into a "code reader" thread, but which should I get?
Old 08-08-15, 09:32 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by Arcturus
Are any other light lit on the dash? If you have the ABS light lit as well, it's something with the ABS system. This code is vehicle manufacturer specific can only be read with a high end scanner or techstream. If you get an engine icon lit, then it's a general code and can probably be a read by a generic cheapo scanner. If you have ABS codes I know there are several threads that will tell you how to put a paper clip between two of the terminals of the OBD2 socket under the dash to retrieve the codes. You can post the codes here and we'll tell you what they mean. Might save you buying some hardware. Just an idea.
Thanks for the suggestions Arcturus. There are no other lights lit. I haven't tried scrolling on the information display/readout. I'm thinking if therre were multiple 'messages' on the info display, it would scroll automatically?

I too, was thinking a Techstream unit would be much more expensive. I guess what we're looking at are knockoffs? Is there a "real" Techstream device/scanner that I should consider buying? Again--I don't mind spending a couple hundred bucks for a REAL scanner. I understand the el cheapo's I might get what I pay for, but apparently lots of people have success with the el cheapos. I'm just really hesitant when reading posts of customers who say the software activated their antivirus on their computer, or the zip files were corrupted, etc.

If I bought a genuine Techstream unit, is it only compatible for certain make cars or could I possibly use it on a 2012 F150 for example?
Old 08-08-15, 09:37 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Holy cow. I found some answers. The REAL Techstream unit costs $5,800, (comes with laptop) and I'd guess won't work on a Ford. LOL

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...sheettinfo.pdf

Quick Reply: got CHECK ENGINE light & VSC & TRAC this am!!! (and i'm PISSED)