LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Anyone else get the gear whine between 70-80MPH when you take foot off gas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-15, 07:36 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 184 Likes on 163 Posts
Default Anyone else get the gear whine between 70-80MPH when you take foot off gas?

The car has done this since I bought her 4 years ago (and I assume has always been this way), and I do not consider it an "issue" of any sorts. No transmission issues, but I do need a drain and fill.

Once cruising in 6th gear on highways, there is a slight gear whine that makes itself apparent between 70 and 80 when you take your foot off the gas and coast. ONLY between 70-80. It's kind of annoying, bc the car is just THAT QUIET at those speeds, but it's no big deal. Only happens in 6th gear. Downshifted and it disappeared.

Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Last edited by AJT123; 08-06-15 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-06-15, 09:59 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, a little. It was worse when I first purchased the car. It seems to be less after servicing the fluids. Not sure if its the differential or transmission but I do get a bit of gear while while coasting at the speeds you mentioned.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-06-15 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-06-15, 10:11 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Yes, a little. It was worse when I first purchased the car. It seems to be a less after servicing the fluids. Not sure if its the differential or transmission but I do get a bit of gear while while coasting at the speeds you mentioned.
When I first got the car I thought it was the diff, but confirmed it is from the transmission on my last road trip. Drop her down a gear and it disappears.

This isn't any sort of "issue", or "anything wrong", but I am curious to see if it subsides a bit once I service my transmission.
Old 08-06-15, 12:53 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I would not worry about it. Just probably a little resonance or whine from the gears. I barely ever notice it now. If you have not serviced the transmission I would start. It's interesting that we both have 04's. Wonder if this has anything to do with it.
Old 08-06-15, 05:51 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I would not worry about it. Just probably a little resonance or whine from the gears. I barely ever notice it now. If you have not serviced the transmission I would start. It's interesting that we both have 04's. Wonder if this has anything to do with it.
I'll keep you posted. Let's stay in touch bc we both have 04s with similar miles.

Looks like we are getting out of here and going back to Tennessee, so I may wait to drain and refill until I'm there where it will be cheaper. 2k more miles home on the freeway isn't gonna do/hurt anything. Car is never driven here.
Old 08-07-15, 07:27 AM
1A1
Instructor

Received 300 Likes on 207 Posts

Drain the diff and refill it. See if that helps.

Steve
Old 08-07-15, 09:44 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The 04 I had never did that. Not sure if it's really a big deal since you haven't really had any issues with the car. Are you leaving LA for good? I visited there a few yrs back, sick cars esp Beverly Hills (saw my first Veyron), but horrendous traffic! Worse than Chicago or NYC imo
Old 08-09-15, 11:54 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
The 04 I had never did that. Not sure if it's really a big deal since you haven't really had any issues with the car. Are you leaving LA for good? I visited there a few yrs back, sick cars esp Beverly Hills (saw my first Veyron), but horrendous traffic! Worse than Chicago or NYC imo
It's no big deal, I never have (nor will) worry about it. Mechanically my 430 is as solid as a battleship. I noticed it on my first road trip years back after I bought her (and thought nothing of it), and again on my recent way back from Vegas.

I do remember reading a thread on the other Lexus forum a while back where another 430 owner noticed it.

Changing diff and tranny fluid soon, will see if it makes any difference.

And, Yep, we are moving back to Tennessee. It's just TOO F**CKING EXPENSIVE HERE.

We could, literally, own a 4k sq foot, 4bed, 4bath luxurious McMansion in Knoxville for about the same money we are flushing down the toilet renting a 700 sq foot apartment with 2 windows here.

It's stupid to live here unless you are like 8 figure wealthy.

What a ride I'll never forget, though!
Old 08-12-15, 08:46 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
It's no big deal, I never have (nor will) worry about it. Mechanically my 430 is as solid as a battleship. I noticed it on my first road trip years back after I bought her (and thought nothing of it), and again on my recent way back from Vegas.

I do remember reading a thread on the other Lexus forum a while back where another 430 owner noticed it.

Changing diff and tranny fluid soon, will see if it makes any difference.

And, Yep, we are moving back to Tennessee. It's just TOO F**CKING EXPENSIVE HERE.

We could, literally, own a 4k sq foot, 4bed, 4bath luxurious McMansion in Knoxville for about the same money we are flushing down the toilet renting a 700 sq foot apartment with 2 windows here.

It's stupid to live here unless you are like 8 figure wealthy.

What a ride I'll never forget, though!
Yeah man I hear ya! That's exactly how I felt about Chicago beautiful city tons of fun but too expensive. I was paying 200 per month just to garage 1 car. My sister is in NYC and is doing the same as you paying a small fortune each mo to split a small crummy apt.

I'm glad to be back in MI for a few yrs it is so much cheaper and so much free parking! Lol things you take for granted until you go to a big city.

Cool that you're going back to TN. Nothing is set in stone yet but I may be joining a practice in TN in a few yrs. I'll let you know if that happens, drinks are on me!
Old 08-12-15, 09:46 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I had an '05 UL pkg.. Never heard any noise. I have good ears. lol
Old 08-13-15, 05:03 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I have performed 3 drain and refills over the course of about 30k miles and can honestly I don't hear any whine anymore. I was intentionally trying to listen for it and can't hear anything.
Old 08-14-15, 08:15 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Mine makes this whine also, as soon as I touch the gas just the slightest bit, it goes away. It seems to come and go. I have fresh, rear differential fluid.

I think if it was any other car, you wouldn't notice it, but because this car has so little road noise, you notice it. It's definitely a slight noise, most passengers wouldn't notice it and the radio has to be turned off.
Old 11-20-15, 06:48 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

I am hearing this high pitch whine since last few days. Not sure if it is a gear whine or something else. It is like a whistle. Mostly between 55 and 75 mph. Can't hear anything at lower speeds. Whine goes away if I take foot off the pedal. Frequency of whine goes up at higher speeds. I had done one drain/refill last year but might have to do few more to see if it fixes the whine.
Old 11-20-15, 07:34 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
I am hearing this high pitch whine since last few days. Not sure if it is a gear whine or something else. It is like a whistle. Mostly between 55 and 75 mph. Can't hear anything at lower speeds. Whine goes away if I take foot off the pedal. Frequency of whine goes up at higher speeds. I had done one drain/refill last year but might have to do few more to see if it fixes the whine.
You guys sure it's from the gears? I know the front Y pipe in my exhaust is rotten and it makes a resonance / whining / droning sound at around those speeds.
Old 11-20-15, 07:46 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I used to hear a bit of whine on mine as well. After 3 drain and refill's over 30k miles I no longer hear any.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 11-21-15 at 04:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone else get the gear whine between 70-80MPH when you take foot off gas?