LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Got one headlamp replaced, now car looks odd. Any way to clean up old one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-15, 12:39 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got one headlamp replaced, now car looks odd. Any way to clean up old one?

Hello, so I recently got my passenger headlamp replaced with a new one. Now the car looks odd because one is old and one is brand new, as you can tell in the attached picture. I've tried the Mothers headlight polish (with the ball attached to a drill) but that haven't work out.

Someone mentioned that I can use fine grit (like 2000 grit) and wetsand the headlamp? Or anyone have other alternatives? It bothers me a lot. I rather have 2 old headlamp.
Attached Thumbnails Got one headlamp replaced, now car looks odd. Any way to clean up old one?-2015-07-31-11.01.04.png  
Old 07-31-15, 01:11 PM
YCT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's just oxidation for the most part on your old headlamp. You can use fine grit and wet sand it down and repolish the headlamp. You should get some pretty good results based on my experiences in the past.
Old 07-31-15, 01:29 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

you could have a pro do it.shouldnt be that pricey as you only need to have one done.google headlight restoration in your area.
Old 07-31-15, 01:48 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,206 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
you could have a pro do it.shouldnt be that pricey as you only need to have one done.google headlight restoration in your area.
Agreed, a pro will do the job right, including a clear coat seal to prevent it from going bad again in a year. If you're determined to DIY, go to youtube for several how to videos.
Old 07-31-15, 07:33 PM
volson
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of pros don't uv seal the lamp so it will look bad again in a few months. Buy the $22 Sylvania kit on amazon, it works very well.
Old 07-31-15, 08:17 PM
tkblazer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is a good video with different methods on how to restore lights

Old 08-01-15, 08:43 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by volson
Lots of pros don't uv seal the lamp so it will look bad again in a few months. Buy the $22 Sylvania kit on amazon, it works very well.
i used that kit on a 01 tacoma and it works very good.you need to follow the instructions very carefully.
Old 08-03-15, 01:37 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think Meguiars has the best restoration kit out there. I've had astounding results with it. It will not match the brand new one %100, but with the right job and the right sealing, it will look darn close.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...storation-kit/

If your headlight covers are cracked, kind of like a spider web looking crack, then you'd need new covers. You can find them at Central Pine, California. They can get it from Japan.

I'm planning on getting a pair after my car's build settles down a bit.
Old 08-03-15, 07:05 AM
heathervb
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a kit from Amazon called Wipe New. Comes with a tiny wet sanding pad and a packet of some mysterious substance that polishes the plastic with one quick wipe after sanding. I think it worked pretty dang good.

Before

after
Old 08-03-15, 09:09 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if you were closer, i'd help ya out.

but basically just need to wet sand with 2000/2500 grit sand paper then run a polishing compound over it.
Old 08-03-15, 12:20 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Update:

So here's a little update. I wet sanded (600, 800, 1500, 2500) the headlight and painted it with Dupli-Color Clear Laquer (it was what I saw on a youtube video). The clear coat didn't dry on as clear as I'd hope, as the headlight is not clear. It's kinda blurry so the light. I will try to get a hold of an electric polisher and try to polish it up.

Here are some pics.

Here are some notes for the pictures below:

Front view (completed) | Before | After wet sanding
After clear coat | New passenger headlight
Attached Thumbnails Got one headlamp replaced, now car looks odd. Any way to clean up old one?-front.png   Got one headlamp replaced, now car looks odd. Any way to clean up old one?-before1.jpg   Got one headlamp replaced, now car looks odd. Any way to clean up old one?-during1.jpg   Got one headlamp replaced, now car looks odd. Any way to clean up old one?-after1.jpg   Got one headlamp replaced, now car looks odd. Any way to clean up old one?-new.jpg  

Last edited by mikevanle; 08-03-15 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-03-15, 12:48 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Look good. I would not clear coat afterwards. Clear actually reflect light off the lens and they don't come clear coated from the factory. I use this product and it has worked really good. No reflection and it has preserved the lens for good while now. Eventually you will have to go back and clean it up again should have no need to sand it. Just polish.

Amazon.com: Blue Magic 730-6 Headlight Lens Sealer - 8 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Blue Magic 730-6 Headlight Lens Sealer - 8 oz.: Automotive

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-03-15 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-03-15, 02:08 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Look good. I would not clear coat afterwards. Clear actually reflect light off the lens and they don't come clear coated from the factory. I use this product and it has worked really good. No reflection and it has preserved the lens for good while now. Eventually you will have to go back and clean it up again should have no need to sand it. Just polish.

Amazon.com: Blue Magic 730-6 Headlight Lens Sealer - 8 oz.: Automotive
This is what it looks like after wet sanding:

Pretty much needs a clear coat. I just gotta find the right combination to make it transparent like the youtube videos make it out to be.
Old 08-03-15, 02:14 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

My kit came with a polish that I used after wet sanding. I buffed it out with the polish and then applied the sealant. No need to clear coat it.
Old 08-03-15, 08:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

You need to polish the lenses out after sanding them, just clear coating them after that is whats giving you your cloudy appearance.

Done properly, it should look pretty darn close to the new lamp.

Quick Reply: Got one headlamp replaced, now car looks odd. Any way to clean up old one?