LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Noise While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-15, 07:15 AM
My1st
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise While Driving

Hi all, bought my first lexus a couple weeks ago. Its an '01 LS430 Base with as few options as possible. I am the second owner and 84k on the clock.

I am working my way through my to do check list.

Next up is chasing down a tapping noise on the passenger front windshield while I drive down the road. This noise is driving me nuts. I think I narrowed it down to an exterior trim piece contacting the glass. This trim piece is black and runs on the inside of the passenger roof support from the mirror to the roof line.

How do I remove that black trim piece?
Old 07-30-15, 08:49 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That black piece is just pryed off from the side.

But I don't think it's the source of the noise. The LS's cabin is too quiet and isolated for an exterior trim piece to make an interior noise.

Sometimes when the weather is cold I have a similar noise. And I found it's coming from the contact of the front dash rubber/plastic with the windshield.

You can reduce the noise by placing a spacing piece of tape. Get some friction tape and roll it up a few times and then place in between the cracks that you think are making vibrating contact and making the annoying noise.

Good luck.
Old 07-30-15, 10:19 AM
My1st
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for removal advice, I'll try removing tonight.

I thought the same at first but I've pushed on everything inside the car and no changes. While in the drivers seat it sounds like it is coming from the rain sensor, but when in the passenger seat it sounds more like it is coming from the top right corner of the windshield.

What made me look outside the car is a previous post in this forum, I'll probably never find it again but if I do then will post it for reference. When I press on the black trim piece it makes a noise but doesnt seem loud enough to mimic what I'm hearing while driving.
Old 07-30-15, 10:27 AM
My1st
Driver School Candidate

Here is the post I was referencing, this made me start looking outside the cabin. This probably isn't my exact problem as his was down low on the glass; mine seems to be coming from up high.

"OMGOMGOMG

I mean, OMG. I fixed it. 3 years in. I finally did. OMFG guys.

Ok, pictured below is a source of this particular and very annoying creak/squeak.

It's outside the cabin (oh yeah), passenger side of the windshield glass.
The long plastic piece, that covers the drain holes under the wipers.
It rubs on the metal of the frame. Thus this loud and 'plasticky' creak.
To fix it, i opened the hood, took out one plastic clip/piston, which holds the right side of this grill, and gently popped it up. Underneath, i saw, that this plastic piece (underside) makes contact with frame, and contact 'line' is insulated by thin strip of foam insulator. THAT is the source of this!
Foam gets hard, and makes this hellish sound.
I just sprayed it there with some silicon and greased the foam strip with Shin-Etsu (oh what an amazing thing it is!).
Then just popped it back in and put back the clip.

Phew, NO MORE NOISE!
OP, do this immediately and free yourself at last!

Hail Lexus!"
Old 07-31-15, 07:57 AM
My1st
Driver School Candidate

Here is a recording of the noise while driving down the road. Very annoying to say the least.

Anyone have experience with a similar noise coming from the upper right windshield when driving?

I didn't get a chance to remove the trim piece last night, but should be able to get to it this weekend.
Attached Files
File Type: wav
Lexus noise.wav (642.5 KB, 112 views)
Old 08-06-15, 05:44 AM
My1st
Driver School Candidate

So I removed both the trim piece near windshield and the painted trim piece running along the roof on the passenger side. No change, the noise was still there.

I believe it is coming from the moonroof. When I open the shade the pitch of the noise changes and gets a little louder. I've opened the moonroof while driving and pushed on everything I can get my hands on and still cannot locate the source.

All suggestions appreciated.
Old 08-06-15, 06:52 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by My1st
So I removed both the trim piece near windshield and the painted trim piece running along the roof on the passenger side. No change, the noise was still there.

I believe it is coming from the moonroof. When I open the shade the pitch of the noise changes and gets a little louder. I've opened the moonroof while driving and pushed on everything I can get my hands on and still cannot locate the source.

Make sure you thoroughly grease the rubber weatherstripping around the moonroof with silicone grease, preferably Shin Etsu or Sil-Glyde. If not this weatherstripping will get dry and make creaking noises just like the door and side window weatherstripping.
Old 08-06-15, 09:49 AM
My1st
Driver School Candidate

Received my Shin-etsu about a week ago from Amazon.

I'm going to apply liberally to everything that could possibly make a noise in the sunroof area. Will report back.
Old 08-06-15, 09:54 AM
My1st
Driver School Candidate

If no luck with lubricating, I'm going to disassemble the moonroof until I find the problem.

Been reading lots of threads on people getting the moonroof replaced due to a rattle. Hopefully there is a cheaper solution than that.
Old 08-08-15, 10:24 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by My1st

Chasing these sounds can be elusive!

I listened to the sound and almost like a leaf or debris is touching a moving object (fan motor) or something. Is the noise still there when you shut off the climate control? On 2 other cars I've had to clean a piece of leaf from the blower motor.

Another source of a tap/rattle sound I tracked down in my LS is the glovebox. It would rattle slightly over bumps in the road. While driving, I could push up/in on the glovebox and noise would disappear. I bought a sheet of circuilar, stick on, felt pad thingies from Home Depot and placed a couple on top of eachother on the inside edge of the glovebox, so when closed, it has a 'tight' closed fit.
Old 02-17-16, 06:51 AM
My1st
Driver School Candidate

I'm still chasing the source of this noise. Seems to calm down in the winter, all 45 days of it here in FL. Thanks Ara for the suggestions. It's not the glovebox and has no connection to the climate control.

I did find this TSB but need a little help in locating the area in the picture.

NVH
NV008-01 Title:
MOON ROOF DRAIN HOSE LOOSE Models:
'01 LS 430 June 8, 2001
Introduction
To reduce the potential of a rattle noise being caused by the moon root drain hose, the following production change and procedure have been developed.
Applicable Vehicles
2001 model year LS 430 vehicles.

Production Change Information

Parts Information

Warranty Information
Applicable Warranty*:
This repair is covered under the Lexus Basic Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.
* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.
Repair Procedure
Please refer to the 2001 MY LS 430 Repair Manual, Volume 2, pages BO-56 through BO-59.

1. Follow step 1, then follow steps 7 through 11 to gain access to the moon roof drain hose.

2. Fit a piece of foam to the right-hand moon roof drain as indicated in the illustration.

Last edited by My1st; 02-25-16 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-17-16, 08:58 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I recognize the rectangle in the left side of the picture, it looks like the slot where you insert the cabin air filter, so the drain hose must be accessible in the upper right area of the footwell, under the right side of the dash. Might have to remove the entire glove box?
Old 02-19-16, 10:52 AM
biacs
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Couple mentions to pepper in. For the Shin-etsu gasket stuff, wear rubber gloves! It really started to hurt after working with it for a few minutes. I wouldn't put anywhere you would be touching weather stripping.

Look online and order yourself a plastic car interior tool kit. So if you are prying on plastic or painted trim pieces its better to NOT use a screwdriver but the softer plastic will save the aggravation of taking chunks out of paint or interior panels. Handy to have for ~$10
Old 09-26-16, 11:31 AM
My1st
Driver School Candidate

Well finally found the source and got it fixed. It was an exterior plastic cover under the hood near the battery. The plastic cover was contacting the pinch seem on the front corner panel. I can't believe how loud and annoying it was. It sounded like someone tapping on the front window with a screwdriver.
Old 09-26-16, 01:30 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Congrats. Sounds like this are beyond frustrating. Haven't done it but guessing removing the moonroof is a lot more work!