Back That Thang Up!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-15, 11:33 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Back That Thang Up!

Quick poll:

Okay, so perhaps most people don't give this too much thought, but I'd really like to get a picture of how many people consistently back their car into parking spaces, home garage, driveways etc. versus pulling in nose-first. And most importantly - why?

Personally, I was taught from day one how to quickly, and efficiently back into spaces by my dad. We lived on a freeway service drive, which made backing out of our driveway very undesirable, and in some instances, just plain unsafe. So we always backed in so we could simply pull straight out with no hassle. Not to mention, we had a boat. And trying to back that thing out onto a busy side drive was just not an option. So we always backed it in to make exits clean and simple.

I found long ago that this practice is most useful in parking lots. Grocery store parking lots are the worst. It makes a WORLD of difference when you can pull straight out without craning your neck this way and that, worrying that you're about to hit some kid whose broken loose from mommy and is now running around practically TRYING to get hit. You don't have to worry about someone else across the aisle backing out simultaneous to you (I've witnessed this happen on two separate occasions where the cars ended up hitting each other). No worries about someone walking aimlessly without a care in the world while on their cellphone, unaware that you're about to back out and send them to the hospital. No worries that while you're checking one blind spot, something or someone is going to pop up into the other one. And there's no need to creep out at a snail's pace just to make sure anything or anyone you didn't see sees you. NO WORRIES AT ALL when you pull straight out of your parking spot.

Also, there are zero variables backing into a spot, because unlike when you're backing out, your parking space is a controlled environment with absolutely no unknowns.

So, what's your preference? (survey)

Last edited by SuperCoupe400; 07-27-15 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-27-15, 11:42 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Depends. I usually don't. Just pull in front first. When I lived in Puerto Rico it was much more common and actually required at some facilities to back in. This had to do with evacuation. Obviously, if you need access to the trunk it makes much more logical sense to pull in front first. Also, I think most people find it easier to pull in this way especially in tight spaces. Much easier to judge spacing facing forward. Backing up out into the lane gives you a lot more room vs between two vehicles.

Edit -

I should mention I am referring to parking lots and such. I live in a historic neighborhood without garages. Kind of sucks not to have a garage but the beauty of the houses and neighborhood means a lot too.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 07-27-15 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-27-15, 12:04 PM
Fixman
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The way I see it.
Backing up is safer because.
1) You have scand the area so you kwno if ther is somthing to pay attention to.
2) Most important to me, driving away you really see all around you, most parking run overs are reversing out of your space. Spetialy when you are in a hurry.
3) if in a hurry it is faster.
More but sleepy can't think clearly other will chip in.
Old 07-27-15, 12:15 PM
propcop
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Legally I believe your not supposed to back out of a driveway onto a street. You might be a fault in the event of an accident.
So I back into my garage and driveway.
Old 07-27-15, 12:20 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

always back in the garage just incase the bat phone rings
Old 07-27-15, 01:02 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Back in most times. Anyone figure out how to prevent the rear sun screen from going down in reverse ???
Old 07-27-15, 01:25 PM
Anthony81
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always pull in nose first, but I think people who back in are really cool.
Old 07-27-15, 01:43 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony81
I always pull in nose first, but I think people who back in are really cool.
Especially when they don't signal and you think they are just driving along only for them to all of a sudden block the whole lane often pissing off those in front and behind them. If you are a 'back that thang up' guy at least signal so others have some idea what you are doing...
Old 07-29-15, 11:53 PM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

The truck is pulled into the garage and the Lexus is backed in. That way the vehicles can be parked closer together and both drivers' doors have more room to open and walking around the vehicles in the garage is easier.
Old 08-02-15, 03:43 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm a 'nose-firster' (90% of the time) but I always look for a spot that I can just pull through so my exit is easy (like backing in). I'll take the farthest, North-40 parking spot rather than something closer if it allows this maneuver.
Old 08-03-15, 01:31 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You always back in, to get a glimpse of your car when you walk out
Old 08-03-15, 07:17 AM
heathervb
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always backed in mainly because it's easier to leave, especially at the train station after work everyday when everyone gets off the train then leaves the lot at the same time. But this weekend I got an exhaust system built with 5 inch tips and it hangs down pretty low so I don't think I'll be backing in anymore at the risk of scraping it. Our cars are so long and it's difficult for me to tell if I'm approaching the curb in the rear. Someday if I get a back up cam I will feel more comfortable backing in again
Old 08-03-15, 03:34 PM
Robles84
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Only cool ppl back in. When you have kids you just wanna get them out the car lol
Old 08-03-15, 04:04 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back in all the time. Just gotta set the air to high so i dont scrape the mufflers going up my driveway.