semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default ultra package

considering two purchase options, both 2001 both excellent conditions
A) 138k miles, basic, some wheel and tires goodies
B) 99kmiles, Ultra
Price diff 3500
Is it wise to choose the Ultra despite the higher cost.
How reliable is the ultra package? I am not keen to spend more on future repairs just for some luxury items.
read in the forum that it cost a bundle to repair the rear a/c on the ultra.
Is the a/c in it a closed system, e.g. can the rear be shutdown without effecting the front a/c?
How much to repair the airsuspension.
I learned about the ML problems and the nav issues
Old 07-23-15, 11:44 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

The only weak points on the UL models are the air-shocks. How much it cost to fix depends on the route you go. Replace with a brand-new air-shock is about $1200 per shock. Replace with a new regular suspension is about $1200 for the whole suspension. This is parts only
Old 07-23-15, 12:50 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I would only recommend the Ultra Luxury package if you already plan on changing you OEM air shocks out for coilovers, aftermarket air, or the OEM steel spring/strut combo.

I own a 2002 base model LS430 and a 2005 Ultra Luxury LS430. They're almost two completely different cars. The 05 UL is much more quiet, it has bluetooth, leather all over the doors and dash, and a refrigerator in the back seat. My main issue I had to deal with were replacing the air suspension with coilovers. I recently had an AFS sensor go out and a one of my OEM HID ballast blow out, but those can happen to any LS430 if I'm not mistaken. I keep my rear AC off and never use it. The ML stereo is garbage and is in most LS430's, regardless of package. I plan on tearing it out of both of My LS' since the speakers, sub, and amp are prone to blowing out.

I really like the 02 base model due to me not having to worry about all of these expensive electronics going out. The only problems I have with it is little stuff like taillight bulbs burning out, speakers blowing out, and the OEM cassette player giving me trouble. The thing I like the most is that it doesn't have that outdated navigation unit. If I had the choice between the two packages I would pick the base model, especially if you plan on keeping it a long time. If the base is $3,500 cheaper then I would spend the saved money on mods or maintenance.
Old 07-23-15, 02:58 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

if you are inclined towards any DIY activities and maintenance, go with the Ultra. Any extra cost for the air shocks then becomes trivial compared to regular shocks.
Old 07-23-15, 03:15 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

I would go with the Ultra, it has so many bells and wistles its awesome. I'm really glad I went with the ultra over a base. In fact I didn't even know about the UL until my buddy who had one told me about the package. There are lots of great aspects to the ultra luxury, sometimes understated being the suede headliner. People are amazed every time they get in my car at some of the stuff.
Old 07-23-15, 03:15 PM
semar
Advanced

Default ultra

and here I thought the Lexus was more reliable because of the electronics
seems like not much diff to my 7series
Old 07-24-15, 06:29 AM
Anthony81
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not that the electronics are unreliable, there are just more of them. The air suspension is the only thing that is really an issue, and that is only because it is so much more expensive than a traditional system. Suspension components need to be replaced eventually regardless of the set up. Honestly, the only things I wish I had from the UL are the rear side sunshades and the power rear seats. My custom luxury has the extra leather and the microsuede headliner as well as adaptive cruise control, headlamp washers, and cooled seats. My car also has a pass through from the trunk that the UL doesn't have due to the cool box, and the trunk is bigger.
Old 07-24-15, 06:31 AM
Anthony81
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by semar
and here I thought the Lexus was more reliable because of the electronics
seems like not much diff to my 7series
That is probably somewhat accurate if you were comparing the two cars to a Corolla.
Old 07-24-15, 07:46 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

The electronics are very reliable. The air suspension is actually not unreliable it's just expensive to replace the air-shocks themselves with new parts. I have 133k on mine and only one shock was replaced by the previous owner. Even conventional shocks wear out around this mileage.

I just patiently waited for a nice used set to pop up on eBay and purchased them for when I need it. They have been in storage for 3 years now. Anyway, take it from an actual UL owner. Good luck with your search.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 07-24-15 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-24-15, 03:43 PM
semar
Advanced

Default ultra

If the airshocks fail, what will you notice first? If one shock goes are the others becoming useless (as in matched set).
I had a 71 MB 300SEL 6.3 with airsuspension. The car at that time was 8 years old. The mechanic said a new airsuspension will cost more than the car is worth. Sold it in 82. Now a good one is worth about 50grand

Looks like I am getting the Ultra with less miles. That gives me decades more driving. Both cars do not have the exact color I wished for. However a black car is like a white shirt. Fits with everything.
Old 07-24-15, 03:47 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

You look for hydrolic oil leaking on the outside of the bag itself or an obvious popping noise or thunk noise from the air-shock itself. I spent $500 on a nice used set off an 05 with 50k miles.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 07-24-15 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-24-15, 03:59 PM
semar
Advanced

Default shocks

@9
Also depends on the roadconditions
My 88 735i has now 167k miles - still the same shocks (Bilsteins)
Old 07-24-15, 04:08 PM
semar
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
You look for hydrolic oil leaking on the outside of the bag itself or an obvious popping noise or thunk noise from the air-shock itself. I spent $500 on a nice used set off an 05 with 50k miles.
We cross the bridge when we get there.
No use worrying what can happen, otherwise you could not even leave the house
This Ultra is a 2001 one ownercar in pristine condition, full service records since day one
Old 07-24-15, 08:38 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by semar
We cross the bridge when we get there.
No use worrying what can happen, otherwise you could not even leave the house
This Ultra is a 2001 one ownercar in pristine condition, full service records since day one
Well said, I wouldn't worry about it. The ones who have issues on this forum are a overall small subset of the entire owner base of a UL. The air suspension feels fantastic to any other car I've had. Not to mention the bells and whistles with the package are sweet.
Old 07-26-15, 10:22 AM
semar
Advanced

bummer, the ultra had an accident
on to the next one

Quick Reply: ultra package