LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Red Maintenance light tried everything!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-15, 03:16 PM
djs123
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation Red Maintenance light tried everything!!

I have tried without success to get the Red triangle need maintenance light off. I followed instructions posted with regard to the odometer, turning the car off and on etc Triangle disappears for a moment then always comes back. Also went to the information panel and adjusted all dates forward (or miles) so it doesn't appear that a scheduled service call is late. (I hope this makes sense).
My husband used to handle all this for me and he passed away. My car is a 1995 ls430 purchased certified from dealer at 25,000 miles. I don't believe any major service has been done on the car, outside of routine synthetic oil changes, new tires, new alternator (i did that recently)
Could it be that it needs a big service done, it's now 89,000 miles and drives like a dream. I'm a bit concerned since I do a fair amount of long distance travel and my dogs would be no use in a crisis.

Also, I recently had a flat tire and was not alerted on the dashboard, shouldn't a message pop up with the red triangle?

Thanks so much. I really hope my message can be understood, doing the best I can to describe what's happening. Btw closest lexus dealer is a few hours away.
Old 07-20-15, 03:55 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

It's due for major maintenance at 90,000 miles, including timing belt if that hasn't been done recently. That might be why the light is on. I assume you went through pressing the reset button to get the light off?
Old 07-20-15, 05:44 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

This is your '04 LS430 right? The red light is notifying you that service is forthcoming. The timing belt is coming due at 90K along with any other service at that time.
Old 07-20-15, 06:02 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by djs123
My car is a 1995 ls430 purchased certified from dealer at 25,000 miles.
The LS430 was produced between 2001-2006. Do you have a LS400, instead?
Old 07-20-15, 06:05 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Sorry to hear your husband passed.

Turn car on and make sure the trip odometer is not showing a or b. Set it so nothing is showing

Turn car off.

While holding the reset button turn car to the acc position, not actually starting the car, and hold for 5 seconds. This should reset the light. You should get your timing belt / water pump done soon. Stay on top of your oil changes too. If you maintain the vehicle it will last a very long time.
Old 07-20-15, 06:19 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Be sure to press the "Reset" button on the dashboard to the right of the steering column (not the "Reset" button on the steering wheel).

Last edited by rkw77080; 07-20-15 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-20-15, 07:44 PM
djs123
Rookie

Default red maintenance light tried everything

Oh my goodness first let me clarify, I have a 2005 not a 1995! When I did the reset button I went to trip A, I will try the latest suggestion and see if that works.
Thanks for telling me about the 90K maintenance due, is it ok if I take it to a regular gas station that is familiar with Lexus or must I take it to a Lexus dealer?
Thanks again. This group is fantastic, I've gotten some great tips here. Thanks all.
Old 07-20-15, 07:55 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Don't take it to a gas station mechanic please. It is a pretty complicated job. I suggests a Toyota dealer vs Lexus if you want to save money. The job includes replacing the timing belt and water pump. I would also suggest having the throttle body cleaned at the same time. Parts and labor should be no more then $1400.

A good independent shop can do the work as well but Toyota dealers tend to be pretty competitive. Shop around and get quotes. We can also direct you on what parts to buy and you will pay for labor only if you desire. They sell the parts in a kit. This will save money too. If you buy the kit yourself and pay for labor only you should be out the door closer to $1,000.00 if not less including the $173 for the kit.

Mechanics love to rip women off. Feel free to post here and let us know the quotes you receive. Lots of good people here who like to help.

Edit:

Here is the link. This is the same OEM parts Lexus or Toyota would use at 1/3 of what the dealer usually charges. Really it is the most cost effective way. Buy the OEM parts yourself and pay for labor only.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008EE...s=aisin+tk+021

Not to load you up with too much information but if it is in your budget there are a few more things that can be done at the same time and it will help the cars performance, efficiency, and maintain reliability. Preventive maintenance is very good in general and actually saves you money vs waiting for something to fail.

Have the mechanic / dealer do the following:

- Replace spark plugs (you need 8)
Link Link

- Drain and refill on transmission
- Drain and refill on differential
- Clean throttle body
- Clean Maf sensor
- Replace or clean pcv valve
- Replace engine temp sensor Link

This basically takes care of all other maintenance until 180K miles unless a sensor fails or maybe a bushing / mount.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 07-20-15 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-21-15, 07:57 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by djs123
Oh my goodness first let me clarify, I have a 2005 not a 1995! When I did the reset button I went to trip A, I will try the latest suggestion and see if that works.
Thanks for telling me about the 90K maintenance due, is it ok if I take it to a regular gas station that is familiar with Lexus or must I take it to a Lexus dealer?
Thanks again. This group is fantastic, I've gotten some great tips here. Thanks all.
Very sorry for your loss. The red triangle light you see turns itself on every 5,000 miles. Set your A and B trip meter display to blank and then reinitialize per the instructions supplied by Lavrishevo.

For major maintenance like timing belt/water pump call the local Toyota dealers around your town if Lexus is not nearby. Ask to speak to service manager and tell that person you are calling Toyota dealers and shopping for best rate on a timing belt and water pump replacement for your LS430. The service manager has ability to quote you lower price to earn your business.
Old 07-21-15, 08:48 AM
djs123
Rookie

Thanks everyone, there is a local toyota dealer. I'll contact them and let you know what they quote.
Old 07-21-15, 08:56 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

with the light being on you most likely need a oil change.i wouldnt clear it until you get the oil changed.
Old 07-23-15, 03:17 PM
djs123
Rookie

Success, finally the red light is off thanks to your excellent instructions Lavrishevo.
Old 07-23-15, 03:27 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

BTW I JUST hit 90k miles, however no lights came on for me. I called the Toyota dealer yesterday to ask for a quote on the 90k maintenance, and they quoted me $1049. I've heard it running as high as 2k+ so I thought that was really resonable, includes water pump and everything.
Old 07-23-15, 04:42 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by e60bmw
BTW I JUST hit 90k miles, however no lights came on for me. I called the Toyota dealer yesterday to ask for a quote on the 90k maintenance, and they quoted me $1049. I've heard it running as high as 2k+ so I thought that was really resonable, includes water pump and everything.
That is a pretty good price. Find out how much the service is without parts. The full oem kit is only $173 off Amazon. If you decide to have them provide the parts make sure they use the kit that includes the tensioners. It's very smart to replace these every time you do this service whether they recommend you should or not. They are simple and cheap but if a tensioner fails because you did not replace it you will loose the timing belt and significantly damage the engine.
Old 07-23-15, 05:53 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
That is a pretty good price. Find out how much the service is without parts. The full oem kit is only $173 off Amazon. If you decide to have them provide the parts make sure they use the kit that includes the tensioners. It's very smart to replace these every time you do this service whether they recommend you should or not. They are simple and cheap but if a tensioner fails because you did not replace it you will loose the timing belt and significantly damage the engine.
Thanks for the tip. I didn't realize the whole kit was only $173.

Quick Reply: Red Maintenance light tried everything!!