LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Red Maintenance light tried everything!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-15, 06:37 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

most dealers will not warranty the parts if you didnt buy from them.if the w/p leaks internally they will not do anything to fix it.some dealers will not install so you will have to use indy shop.
Old 07-23-15, 07:31 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
most dealers will not warranty the parts if you didnt buy from them.if the w/p leaks internally they will not do anything to fix it.some dealers will not install so you will have to use indy shop.
I have never had any issue with a dealer service department not wanting to install genuine OEM parts. Many people do not understand that dealer service departments are typically a totally different profit center than the parts department. In most cases the service manager could care less where you purchased a part. As long as it is an OEM part they are fine to quote pure labor rate for the job and perform the work.

Dealer parts or service departments do not warranty parts even if you buy from them. Parts are warrantied by the manufacturer of the part, for Lexus OEM parts warranty is 12 months or 12,000 miles. Assuming a person purchases OEM Toyota/Lexus parts in the US for example, the parts have same warranty regardless of where in the US they were purchased or where they were installed.

A dealer might elect not to warranty labor on a defective part that was not purchased from them. But that is something you can establish in writing before you sign the work order. I personally would not use a dealer that did not stand behind the OEM parts that I paid them to install. But clearly each dealer can make that decision - some of it depends on how bad they want your business.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 07-23-15 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-24-15, 04:31 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

jab,what i am saying is if your part fails after the dealer installs it the dealer isnt going to eat the labor to remove it and put a new part in if they didnt sell it to you.you can bank on that.
i completely understand why they dont because there are alot of chinese knock offs out there.

Last edited by jimbosr1; 07-24-15 at 04:44 AM.
Old 07-24-15, 05:35 AM
Jabberwock

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
jab,what i am saying is if your part fails after the dealer installs it the dealer isnt going to eat the labor to remove it and put a new part in if they didn't sell it to you.you can bank on that.
i completely understand why they don't because there are a lot of Chinese knock offs out there.
Agree. Good point. Certainly something that should be checked and verified in writing before a person has a dealer service department install any self purchased OEM part, the risk being particularly true for a part with huge labor content relative to the part's cost (like a $50 timing belt that requires $700 labor to install).
Old 12-14-16, 10:34 AM
djs123
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Red light maintenance

Hi
You've helped me before and I seem to be having the exact same problem with my triangular red light indicating "maintenance required". I've again followed your instructions carefully at least 8 times but this time it won't go out. I've driven over a thousand miles with this lit up but am getting concerned. There is no lexus dealership near me. any suggestions would be aprpreciated.
Thanks very much.

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Sorry to hear your husband passed.

Turn car on and make sure the trip odometer is not showing a or b. Set it so nothing is showing

Turn car off.

While holding the reset button turn car to the acc position, not actually starting the car, and hold for 5 seconds. This should reset the light. You should get your timing belt / water pump done soon. Stay on top of your oil changes too. If you maintain the vehicle it will last a very long time.
I did all the required maintenance as we spoke about above
Old 12-14-16, 12:08 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

The best explanation to clear the red triangle (and to reset the engine oil change information when the message shows "Maint. Reqd.") is found on page 267 of the Owner's Manual. With the ignition "on" push the trip meter to show blank (neither A nor B trip info.). Turn ignition "off." Then, while pressing and holding the trip meter reset button, turn the ignition "on." Keep pressing and holding the reset button for longer than 5 seconds until the "mileage reset" appears on the display and a warning tone sounds. That's it.
The following users liked this post:
Jabberwock (12-14-16)
Old 12-14-16, 12:45 PM
Jabberwock

Also just to clarify the red triangle light on the LS430 is an "idiot" light that goes on every 5,000 miles. The light is triggered by the odometer only and it goes on every 5,000 miles as a reminder to perform service (at a minimum an oil change). The light has no idea what service has been done or what service is required because it has absolutely no connection to any ECM/ECU codes or to any other maintenance diagnostics on the LS430. It is simply an "idiot" light (for want of a better description) connected to the odometer that trips on exactly 5,000 miles after it was last reset....nothing more and nothing less. When you reset the light per the manual it will come on again exactly 5,000 miles later regardless of what maintenance has been performed in the interim. Doing maintenance will not reset the light, and conversely not doing maintenance has absolutely no effect on the ability to reset the red triangle light per the instructions in the manual.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 12-14-16 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-14-16, 12:53 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

The red triangle idiot light also lights up for many different reasons - not only just the oil change reminder. It's important to read what info is being displayed with the red triangle light.
Old 12-14-16, 01:42 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

This must be something new for 2004 as my 2001 doesn't do this red light thing..
I've only put maybe 1200 miles on the 2005 this year, so it hasn't shown up yet??
Old 12-14-16, 01:56 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
This must be something new for 2004 as my 2001 doesn't do this red light thing..
I've only put maybe 1200 miles on the 2005 this year, so it hasn't shown up yet??
Correct, my '01 doesn't have the red triangle idiot light on the dash display; my '05 and 06's do. As Jabber's post noted, the red triangle light will light after 5,000 miles since it was last reset.
Old 01-29-17, 12:08 PM
wordwrkr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red triangle won't reset

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Sorry to hear your husband passed.

Turn car on and make sure the trip odometer is not showing a or b. Set it so nothing is showing

Turn car off.

While holding the reset button turn car to the acc position, not actually starting the car, and hold for 5 seconds. This should reset the light. You should get your timing belt / water pump done soon. Stay on top of your oil changes too. If you maintain the vehicle it will last a very long time.
I tried this procedure and it did not work. The red triangle still appears, along with a notification to Check AC Filter. Does anyone have any idea why the Reset procedure is not working?
Old 01-29-17, 12:38 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

There are 2 reset buttons - one on the steering wheel and anther on the dashboard just above the ignition switch. Be sure to use the reset button on the dashbroad.
Old 01-29-17, 12:49 PM
wordwrkr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rkw77080
There are 2 reset buttons - one on the steering wheel and anther on the dashboard just above the ignition switch. Be sure to use the reset button on the dashbroad.
I followed the procedure precisely, including using the right reset button. Still no dice. I'm out of ideas.
Old 01-29-17, 01:31 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by wordwrkr
I tried this procedure and it did not work. The red triangle still appears, along with a notification to Check AC Filter. Does anyone have any idea why the Reset procedure is not working?
Can you double check to see if the message is "Change A/C Filter" instead?
Old 01-29-17, 07:48 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Thru the nav screen it is possible to set almost any maintenance schedule by mileage or date. These must be updated to prevent the red triangle from displaying inadvertently. What am i not understanding here?

Quick Reply: Red Maintenance light tried everything!!