LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Air Intake Help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-15, 11:23 PM
LSDoc
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NickTee
You apparently bought the wrong car with the mods you're wanting to do. Sell it and get something else that will give you the sound and performance you want. You'd probably enjoy a 2004-2006 GTO. Just don't crash it.
2nd!!!
Old 07-17-15, 11:51 PM
TheWongOne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
Not necessary to have a intake on our cars. But if you just want that nice induction sound at higher RPM's, you could just drill some holes in the air box. That is exactly what I did for my box, used a 1" hole saw and cut some holes on the front/side/bottom of the box so theres minimal heat soak. Now I have that nice sound but also keeping the efficiency of the stock intake.

you could look up the BFI mod for the SC400/LS400 and it'll give you a better understanding.
Thanks bro very helpful, I also gotta say Nice LS 430 bro haha

You apparently bought the wrong car with the mods you're wanting to do. Sell it and get something else that will give you the sound and performance you want. You'd probably enjoy a 2004-2006 GTO. Just don't crash it.
No thanks I enjoy my Lexus, just looking for information and tips.

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
It's a Lexus, you don't drill anything.

Stop being cheap and get yourself a good intake.
Lol I understand where you're coming from, so i see most intake are usually short ram for the ls 430 do you suggest a specific brand/model?

Last edited by TheWongOne; 07-17-15 at 11:59 PM.
Old 07-18-15, 01:51 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TheWongOne

Lol I understand where you're coming from, so i see most intake are usually short ram for the ls 430 do you suggest a specific brand/model?
I got an Injen intake. It is a short ram one. Click on my profile and look for an intake diy. I'm sure I did one back in the day.

Was about $200
Old 07-18-15, 06:25 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

lol @ owning a lexus, dont drill anything.

gtfoh lol, why bother modifying your car?
Old 07-18-15, 07:00 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TheWongOne

If you enjoy your lexus, why are you seeking to alter it in ways that defeat the initial purpose of the car's sound deadening? You want more intake and exhaust noise on a car that's not going to go any faster and wasn't meant to be loud. So it doesn't sound like you enjoy your luxury car and it sounds like you want a car that makes more intake and more exhaust noise, which can be provided by cars that are faster and have an abundance of aftermarket to provide all the intake and exhaust noise you could ever want.
Or just play intake and exhaust noises while you drive, since it's pointless to spend $200 on an intake that going to only make noise and not provide any tangible benefits.

Last edited by NickTee; 07-18-15 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-18-15, 01:33 PM
TheWongOne
Driver School Candidate

If you enjoy your lexus, why are you seeking to alter it in ways that defeat the initial purpose of the car's sound deadening? You want more intake and exhaust noise on a car that's not going to go any faster and wasn't meant to be loud. So it doesn't sound like you enjoy your luxury car and it sounds like you want a car that makes more intake and more exhaust noise, which can be provided by cars that are faster and have an abundance of aftermarket to provide all the intake and exhaust noise you could ever want.
Or just play intake and exhaust noises while you drive, since it's pointless to spend $200 on an intake that going to only make noise and not provide any tangible benefits.
So I can't buy a luxury car and add modifications to them such as an air intake and a exhaust? That sounds absolutely absurd. If you buy any car you should be able to mod it anyway you want to your liking. If you wana buy a Honda and rice it out, that's your decision and everyone has there own taste.
Old 07-18-15, 03:25 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I don't think you'll get a lot of sympathy or help for increasing the noise of a LS430 on this forum. Just accept their comments and move forward. Don't take it personal, you asked a question and they are responding.
Old 07-18-15, 07:02 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

LOL @ the haters in this thread.

It's your car do what YOU want. Get the Injen short ram for some induction noise. I'd run a custom heat shield though. If you want some real sound remove a pair of mufflers. Lots of previous threads on that topic.
Old 07-18-15, 08:14 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

We don't hate the players. We just hate the game...
Old 07-18-15, 11:39 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VanCityLS4

It's your car do what YOU want. Get the Injen short ram for some induction noise. I'd run a custom heat shield though. If you want some real sound remove a pair of mufflers. Lots of previous threads on that topic.

Right on point my man

I honestly love the intake, but this forum is filled with old geezers who've already been through this stage in their life. All they want now is hassle free car, wants to know how to keep well maintained ..... etc.

While some fellows are contributing a small sporty factor to the luxuriousness of the LS430 and making a beautiful machine even more beautiful.
Adding small modifications to make it your one and only.

Get the Injen, drive it on for a few weeks, if you're like me and decide this still isn't loud enough for me, then go ahead with a custom exhaust setup. JMO.
Old 07-19-15, 01:18 AM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

This 'other' group has to get used to the fact that these cars are up to a decade old now. Nearly anyone can afford one. The same thing happened over in the LS400 forums years ago. A younger crowd came along and wanted to make theirs different.

Back on topic... I installed my Tom's Super Ram II drop in filter. It's slightly louder from 4k & up but still a muffled induction sound. Throttle response is seemingly better but over all you won't hear it in daily driving. Time for the loud pipes...
Attached Thumbnails Air Intake Help.-image.jpg  
Old 07-19-15, 11:25 AM
TheWongOne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I don't think you'll get a lot of sympathy or help for increasing the noise of a LS430 on this forum. Just accept their comments and move forward. Don't take it personal, you asked a question and they are responding.
im not asking for sympathy, nor am i asking what kind of car should i get or suits me. Im not taking anything personal, its just don't reply to my thread if you dont want to help or stay on topic.

how much is a custom heat shield and is it really needed? got a custom exhaust being worked on!

Right on point my man

I honestly love the intake, but this forum is filled with old geezers who've already been through this stage in their life. All they want now is hassle free car, wants to know how to keep well maintained ..... etc.

While some fellows are contributing a small sporty factor to the luxuriousness of the LS430 and making a beautiful machine even more beautiful.
Adding small modifications to make it your one and only.

Get the Injen, drive it on for a few weeks, if you're like me and decide this still isn't loud enough for me, then go ahead with a custom exhaust setup. JMO.
For sure gonna take a look at the intake, I don't understand people that want to bash modifying YOUR car, if they want a hassle free car get a damn HONDA lol

THE PIPES ARE COMING!!
Old 07-19-15, 11:28 AM
TheWongOne
Driver School Candidate

This 'other' group has to get used to the fact that these cars are up to a decade old now. Nearly anyone can afford one. The same thing happened over in the LS400 forums years ago. A younger crowd came along and wanted to make theirs different.

Back on topic... I installed my Tom's Super Ram II drop in filter. It's slightly louder from 4k & up but still a muffled induction sound. Throttle response is seemingly better but over all you won't hear it in daily driving. Time for the loud pipes...
is Tom's a good brand? i havent heard much about them.
Old 07-19-15, 04:51 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I honestly love the intake, but this forum is filled with old geezers who've already been through this stage in their life. All they want now is hassle free car, wants to know how to keep well maintained ..... etc
This certainly is a funny thread to read.

What will be even funnier are the snotnose teenybopper car-lowering wanna be living in Japan crowd who will be begging for advice on how to clear the codes from a CEL or screaming why their tires are wearing prematurely or tires are rubbing, etc. Meanwhile while sitting in the driver's seat, their eyes are level with the bumper of a Smart car. LOL
Old 07-19-15, 08:57 PM
TheWongOne
Driver School Candidate

Stay on topic or don't comment at all

Quick Reply: Air Intake Help.