Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

185k miles on the original starter
Old 07-15-15, 09:23 AM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have 91K on the original starter.

Also, my LS takes a bit longer to start than any other modern car I've owned. Always has, from the day I bought it. It seems like it takes longest to start on the first start of the day which is about a second. Subsequent starts are more like .5 second. I tried turning on the ignition and letting the fuel system 'pump up' before trying to start it and that doesn't make a difference. Warm weather / cold weather ... first start of the day takes just a little longer.
Old 07-19-15, 04:08 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Default 130k on the original starter

Don't want to jinx myself, but currently at 130k. Not sure what a 'bump' start is, but about 15% of the time, I'm guilty of releasing the key a milisecond too soon and the car hasn't started.

I then wait about 5 seconds, then hold key until she starts. During that 2nd evolution, about 10% of the time, I have to do a 3rd go around! lol. I just can't STANDDDD holding the key turned after the car has obviously been 'started', so I overcompensate on the short side.

My gf's 18 y/o daughter is INFAMOUS for holding the key too long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No---she does not TOUCH the LS. As much as I try to educate/teach/instruct her, she beats her 06 Ford Focus enough as it is. She knows everyyyyyyyyyything.
Old 07-19-15, 04:20 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Using your ear is the best method. I start my LS the first try I would say 95%. Bump start means engaging the starter for just a moment and on the LS this is not enough to start the engine. Sometimes she will start up more quickly but in general it's about 1/2 - 1 second. My LS400 acted the same way.
Old 04-14-17, 10:34 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Using your ear is the best method. I start my LS the first try I would say 95%. Bump start means engaging the starter for just a moment and on the LS this is not enough to start the engine. Sometimes she will start up more quickly but in general it's about 1/2 - 1 second. My LS400 acted the same way.
Old thread but there is renewed interest in the starter on the LS.....have to be honest, imho the LS430 takes more to start than the avg. car. When my wife first drove it, she didn't crank it enough. In my Lexus drivers history, the original owner had complained of long cranks. It's not something we normally give much thought to, we just start the car....but, this decision is no longer usually made by the driver with push to start and no key. I know my car is normal having seen people start up their 430's on YouTube...I agree with you that you need to engage it long enough and you may need to listen
Old 04-14-17, 10:35 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by campisi

Also, my LS takes a bit longer to start than any other modern car I've owned. Always has, from the day I bought it. It seems like it takes longest to start on the first start of the day which is about a second. Subsequent starts are more like .5 second. I tried turning on the ignition and letting the fuel system 'pump up' before trying to start it and that doesn't make a difference. Warm weather / cold weather ... first start of the day takes just a little longer.
100% in agreement. I didn't always start it on the first try when I first got it, ditto, my wife. It feels like one has to crank it longer than what would be intuitive...
Old 04-14-17, 04:10 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

I am admitting I have not read the posts in this thread. However, I can say this is the first thread that had anything to do with our starters. Never heard a thing about a failed starter. However, as our cars age, new issues can arise. Never read one starter issue on this forum Sorry I could not be more helpful. Good luck.
Old 04-14-17, 07:01 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

What? A starter problem? 124K miles and never had an indication of any kind.
Old 04-14-17, 08:16 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by campisi

Now at 101K, still on the original starter. Others reported 200K+ ... at this rate the car will be gone before the starter is!
Old 04-14-17, 09:20 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I posted (post #18 nearly 2 years ago) of my trouble-free original starter at 130k. She now has 150k, and stillllllllll going!......
Old 04-14-17, 09:22 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I traded in my 02 GS430 when I got my LS and it had 170K on the original starter. When I had a knock sensor fail, it was recommended that I change the starter at the same time due to age and labor cost.
The following users liked this post:
2KHarrier (04-15-17)
Old 04-15-17, 04:52 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Legend
When I had a knock sensor fail, it was recommended that I change the starter at the same time due to age and labor cost.
I'm sure that's when I'll be replacing mine. When the knock sensor fails. I'm not tearing into that manifold twice...

FYI, just hit 152K and no issues (10,000 miles since 01Jan17)

Last edited by 2KHarrier; 04-15-17 at 05:02 AM.
Old 04-15-17, 07:56 AM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

My 04 went out at 131k and shortly after the alternator went out.
Old 04-18-17, 04:24 AM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

222,000 (137,000 miles) kilometres and still on the OEM Denso reduction type starter motor. I'll likely just throw a set of brushes at it, clean up the com bars and stick it back in. Those old Denso starters are solid as a rock, I just had my partner's one on her 5A-FE Levin done, just needed a set of brushes and it was good as gold

Last edited by Scootymad; 04-19-17 at 12:44 AM.
Old 04-18-17, 04:50 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scootymad
222,000 kilometres and still on the OEM Denso reduction type starter motor. I'll likely just throw a set of brushes at it, clean up the com bars and stick it back in. Those old Denso starters are solid as a rock, I just had my partner's one on her 5A-FE Levin done, just needed a set of brushes and it was good as gold
This is exactly what I was told by a Lexus tech, referring to my Nissan Maxima. Once I put in a replacement, it lasted less than a year. It had a lifetime warranty. #2 failed right out of the box, but I did not know of course until it was installed. #3 probably would have failed, I saw the field wire was cracking due to a poor quality insulator, and I wrapped it in tape. It could be worth say $550 to pay an indie if you're not going to DIY a rebuild. I can't imagine buying a poor quality replacement on the LS, and draining coolant 3X and undoing fuel rails etc., I think a person would go insane. Let the indie go insane for $550 lol

edit p.s I took pics of the replacements, to illustrate...the bar coding and labels were not only crooked, but in different places on each starter motor, just reinforcing the lack of quality control. And, they yanked the lifetime warranty. rebuilt original > new aftermarket imho. And if one has ever seen an operation in the USA rebuilding these things, it would be like seeing a hot dog factory and not wanting to eat them anymore...

Quick Reply: Average lifespan of starter motor?