LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Factory JDM options not available in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-15, 10:42 PM
98SNAKETR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Factory JDM options not available in the US?

Just curious, but are their any options that were available on overseas LS cars that weren't available on the US models?

I've found that there were tons of cool JDM options for my Land Cruiser that just never made it over here

Factory winch, snorkel, refrigerator, ice maker, locking hand throttle, heated seats, auxiliary cooling fans, rear A/C, numerous switches/buttons that were all prewired, 2nd fuel tank, water bladder for shower, etc., etc.

I figure Toyota was just trying to cover their **** by eliminating these cool features in such a litigious society as ours

I mean, someone might think the ice cube maker is just a reason to mix up a rum and coke while behind the wheel or use the hand throttle as some kinda redneck cruise control into a loaded bus stop

Any neat JDM stuff for the LS's?
Old 07-11-15, 12:43 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Off the top of my head, I know turn signals on the side fenders were standard in Japan and in the GCC area.

But when it comes to entertainment, I'm sure they tried their best to bring every feature to this car here in the U.S, as it is a luxury car, and should be FILLED with gadgets etc. for the money and name you are buying.

They segregated them a bit to diversify the car a little, as the deal with every other car manufacturer. Giving the car a stronger "buying ability" factor. With having the different trims and options in the car, like seat massages, back refrigerator, adaptive cruise control
Old 07-11-15, 12:49 AM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the only 'JDM' stuff I've seen is TV on the Nav System and a cloth interior.

Most of the JDM cars seem to have air suspension, and as far as I can tell the Japanese can order each option a la carte. I think every 04-06 LS430 in America has a sunroof, but some JDM cars don't.

And I think the 01-03 Japanese cars had the same dynamic cruise control system that our 05-06s had? I can't keep the systems straight, so don't trust me.

I don't think these cars had many options that weren't widely available.

Guess I'm just subscribing to this thread. Hope there's something cool out there!
Old 07-11-15, 01:10 AM
iToaster
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I know the Celsior had a few more gadgets. Aside from the TV tuners, some models were equipped with minidisc players, and some got DVD changers where the CD changer is on the factory radio. The equivalent of the Ultra Luxury model also got a few more buttons on the rear console, two for power adjustment of the angle of the rear head rests, and one between the massager buttons that would fold the front passenger headrest down and move the seat forward. Additionally, there is also a 3.5 mm jack on the rear audio console so passengers can use headphones, plus some were equipped with car phones in the rear console. Also, instead of the Lexus Link system in the US, some came with an electronic toll collection system on the sunglasses holder.
Old 07-12-15, 07:21 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
Off the top of my head, I know turn signals on the side fenders were standard in Japan and in the GCC area.
Are you sure the JDM turn signals were in the fenders? It's my understanding they were in the mirror covers like you see on many late model vehicles currently in U.S.
Old 07-12-15, 01:16 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tom57
Are you sure the JDM turn signals were in the fenders? It's my understanding they were in the mirror covers like you see on many late model vehicles currently in U.S.
yes. They come on the fender in Japan, Europe and the GCC area. It must be a safety regulation that they have to abide by.

Factory JDM options not available in the US?-image-1301373448.jpg
Old 07-12-15, 01:19 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Japan.

Factory JDM options not available in the US?-image-1336696260.jpg
Old 07-12-15, 01:20 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Gcc.

Factory JDM options not available in the US?-image-3853594274.jpg
Old 07-12-15, 01:21 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Europe.

Factory JDM options not available in the US?-image-1250976548.jpg

Had to post 3x, because of the stupid app that crashes if you attach more than 1 pic.
Old 07-12-15, 03:50 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Other JDM options that I came by. I have no idea what the 4th one is.

Wood covers over NAV.

Wood covers on the upper light controls.

ETC system.

No idea what this slot is for.

Road toll system.

Last edited by KING; 07-12-15 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-12-15, 06:34 PM
Harpo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wood nav trim - must have! Any ideas where I could get it?
Old 07-12-15, 06:37 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Yes, it looks nice but since it is truly wood, beware that any wood trim added to your current wood trim will not have the same grain and burl. It may actually stand out and look like a different piece. I've seen these pieces available in U.S.
Old 07-12-15, 09:57 PM
Harpo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom57
Yes, it looks nice but since it is truly wood, beware that any wood trim added to your current wood trim will not have the same grain and burl. It may actually stand out and look like a different piece. I've seen these pieces available in U.S.
I was afraid of that, but I would sure like to find one that matched! I've got the birds-eye maple, same as the picture.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know!
Old 07-12-15, 10:37 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Garbage box in the passenger footwell pictured above. Wasn't there a center tunnel rear floor mat ?
Old 07-13-15, 11:23 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I think that slot above the mirror control switch was a CF memory card slot?? My dad's Mercedes has one. Doesn't seem very useful, but.... Who knows???

Quick Reply: Factory JDM options not available in the US?