LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Transmission cannot go into gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-15, 11:34 PM
joeccl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission cannot go into gear

I have a 2003 Lexus LS430. In the morning when i turn my car on i put my car into reverse. the gear is very difficult to engage until i rev it up to about 4000 rpms.

When i try to put it in drive it does the same, I need to give it a good rev to about 4000 rpms to get the gear engages and i can take off.

It only does that after longer time (8+ hours) of being parked. If i leave it for 4-5 hours it will go in to gear like if nothing was wrong.

Thank you very much.
Old 07-09-15, 03:05 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

That is an odd problem. Sounds like a lack of pressure or somehow heat related. Has the transmission been serviced? Have you checked the fluid level? When you check, it is best to verify it after the transmission is hot by driving on the highway for 25 min, pull over on flat ground, and then check the lever via the dip stick.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 07-09-15 at 03:14 AM.
Old 07-09-15, 03:10 AM
joeccl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
That is an odd problem. Sounds like a lack of pressure or somehow heat related. Has the transmission been serviced? Have you checked the fluid level? When you check, it is best to verify it after the transmission is hit by driving on the highway for 25 min, pull over on flat ground, and then check the lever via the dip stick.
Thanks. I got this 2nd hand car few months ago which do not have record of services. I have checked the fluid level and did a basic fluid change (not flush, filter gasket not changed), it doesn't help.
Old 07-09-15, 03:13 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Are you sure you are not low on fluid? Did you use Toyota type IV?
Old 07-09-15, 03:32 AM
joeccl
Driver School Candidate

Are you sure you are not low on fluid? Did you use Toyota type IV?

I filled 2 Litres of fluid according to the owner's manual. I am sure it is Toyota type IV.
Old 07-09-15, 03:52 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Did you drain and refill or drop the pan? If you dropped the pan, did you use a pre-formed gasket or the sealer? If you used the sealer then this is probably the problem. Used to much and now it's in the fluid. Robots apply this in the factory in perfect amounts. Impossible to do by hand like the Lexus factory.

Aisin never recommends dropping the pan unless for a repair. Never a need to replace the filter screen. If this is the problem, then I would definitely recommend dropping the pan, flushing the system to get the sealant out, and obviously replacing the gasket with a pre-formed one and the sooner the better.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 07-09-15 at 05:21 AM.
Old 07-09-15, 06:06 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Did the problem start after you did the drain and fill? Transmission fluid is draining out of the torque converter as it sits for 8+ hours. Could be a pressure regulator valve.
Old 07-09-15, 05:03 PM
MiserLS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your battery. Electronic transmission won't engage without enough juice. It seems that the problem occurs after sitting which could correspond with battery drain.

~Miser
Old 07-13-15, 12:25 AM
joeccl
Driver School Candidate

Did you drain and refill or drop the pan? If you dropped the pan, did you use a pre-formed gasket or the sealer? If you used the sealer then this is probably the problem. Used to much and now it's in the fluid. Robots apply this in the factory in perfect amounts. Impossible to do by hand like the Lexus factory.

Aisin never recommends dropping the pan unless for a repair. Never a need to replace the filter screen. If this is the problem, then I would definitely recommend dropping the pan, flushing the system to get the sealant out, and obviously replacing the gasket with a pre-formed one and the sooner the better.
I got this car 2nd handed from someone else and I do not have repairing records. But when I look down the pan it seems there is some sealing material around the edge. So your suggestions is to replace the gasket, or gasket+pan?
Old 07-13-15, 12:26 AM
joeccl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tom57
Did the problem start after you did the drain and fill? Transmission fluid is draining out of the torque converter as it sits for 8+ hours. Could be a pressure regulator valve.
The problem start before, so I try the drain and fill in a lube station inside a gas station.
Old 07-13-15, 12:30 AM
joeccl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MiserLS400
Check your battery. Electronic transmission won't engage without enough juice. It seems that the problem occurs after sitting which could correspond with battery drain.

~Miser
It sounds like the battery is possibility be a source. But cannot explain why it still unable to shift after like 30 seconds after starts.

But I have a multimeter so I can measure voltage. Should I check both after drive at night and in the morning as a comparison?
Old 07-13-15, 12:34 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joeccl
I got this car 2nd handed from someone else and I do not have repairing records. But when I look down the pan it seems there is some sealing material around the edge. So your suggestions is to replace the gasket, or gasket+pan?
If the transmission pan was taken off and re-sealed improperly I would have the pan removed, flush the entire system out, and when you put the transmission pan back on do not use the rtv sealant. Use the gasket that is already pre-formed. I cannot guarantee this is your problem but it is a pretty common mistake when the pan is removed and too much sealant is used to re-seal the pan. It gets into the transmission itself and can actually ruin it and / or cause damage. Should be no need to replace the pan itself. Just thoroughly clean it.

As far as the battery goes, I don't think this has anything to do with your problem but check anyway. How many volts DC are you getting at your battery with the engine running? Night or day or after a drive does not matter with the battery / alternator.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 07-13-15 at 01:06 AM.
Old 07-13-15, 12:37 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After 8+ hours of sitting, how long does it take to shift normally?
Old 07-13-15, 12:45 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I'm sure the 8+ hours of sitting has to do with the temperature the fluid and whatever else might be in the fluid.
Old 07-13-15, 06:36 PM
joeccl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wolverine
After 8+ hours of sitting, how long does it take to shift normally?
If I shift it to D and apply the throttle pedal, the car will move very slowly. After around 10 seconds or something, it suddenly be able to engage the gear and everything's normal from this point.

Quick Reply: Transmission cannot go into gear