LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

resonator deleted today

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-15, 01:08 PM
Robles84
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default resonator deleted today

I had my taken off today. And for the most part. Did not notice a difference in sound. I even put it in power mode and punched it. I did kinda notice some hp gains. Or at least felt like it lol.
When I get home I will have my wife get in the car and rev it while I'm outside
Old 07-07-15, 02:38 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Let the 3UZ breaaaaaath brother!
Old 02-04-16, 09:56 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

I remember I did this on my old 1 gen LS.

For the 05/06 LS, did you just delete the last most two resonators and extend the piping/tip?
Old 02-04-16, 10:19 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Robles84
I had my taken off today. And for the most part. Did not notice a difference in sound. I even put it in power mode and punched it. I did kinda notice some hp gains. Or at least felt like it lol.
When I get home I will have my wife get in the car and rev it while I'm outside
The resonators in your exhaust tune the exhaust note into something that is not brutal on the ears, along with the muffler, which quiets the whole thing down. Removing the exhaust resonators will just make the car sound worse and louder.

The Lexus LS is a sophisticated machine that shouldn't be pimped out.
Old 02-04-16, 11:18 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tradosauru
The resonators in your exhaust tune the exhaust note into something that is not brutal on the ears, along with the muffler, which quiets the whole thing down. Removing the exhaust resonators will just make the car sound worse and louder.

The Lexus LS is a sophisticated machine that shouldn't be pimped out.

This is the type of attitude that keeps forums like this boring and stale. We need more people modding these cars and trying out different things to keep things interesting. We can only have so many threads on changing stock parts or types of oil etc etc.
Old 02-04-16, 06:56 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bmore430
This is the type of attitude that keeps forums like this boring and stale. We need more people modding these cars and trying out different things to keep things interesting. We can only have so many threads on changing stock parts or types of oil etc etc.
Preach it, man
Old 02-04-16, 07:05 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Do you guys have any pics of what to do ?

I mean cut off rear resonators yes

Then out straight pipe to bumper ?

I read about some X pipe

Some explanation or pics would be helpful
Old 02-04-16, 07:20 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Don't like the image of the LS being ruined by clown wheels, loud pipes or "slamming" that belong more on a import ricer.
The following 2 users liked this post by tradosauru:
CSA (01-03-22), repairmatt (01-04-22)
Old 02-05-16, 07:23 AM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't like the image of the LS being ruined by clown wheels, loud pipes or "slamming" that belong more on a import ricer.
Clown wheels, LOL?!
Old 02-05-16, 08:40 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Originally Posted by campisi
Clown wheels, LOL?!
Yeah, those types. Lol

I see a lot of pimped out rides among the Ford crown vics. One of the reasons why i wouldn't buy one. I just hope the LS430 image doesn't become ruined.
Old 02-05-16, 09:42 AM
Anion
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

dude you are so correct... everyone mod their car a certain way... people cant appreciate other people's mod.. this is why im not on the forums much but on clublexus Houston facebook page more... no matter how others mods. everyone respects one another and have fun at the end of the day we all drive modded cars...
Old 02-05-16, 10:00 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

I agree that the resonators (and entire exhaust system) were specifically engineered to tune the exhaust note to a specific amplitude and frequency for the entire operating rpm range. I personally don't enjoy the exhaust drone at idle or while cruising the highways from less sophisticated exhaust systems. I can appreciate such superior design and engineering aspects of the LS430.

I have nothing against car modifications, but doing something in a misguided attempt to gain performance isn't something that should be advocated. If you are deleting resonators just for your personal enjoyment of a different exhaust note, then just say so.

If you are deleting resonators because you are wildly guessing there could be a performance gain because you suspect resonators induce excessive backpressure, you may want to keep in mind that backpressure is something an engine is designed for. Most/all cars with a highly optimized engine, intake, and exhaust system perform worse when you change the intake or exhaust characteristics without adjusting the engine tuning accordingly.

Keep the car mods coming, but anything performance-related should be substantiated at least by a good working theory of the relevant engineering principles, if not by actual measurements.
Old 02-06-16, 11:40 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
I agree that the resonators (and entire exhaust system) were specifically engineered to tune the exhaust note to a specific amplitude and frequency for the entire operating rpm range. I personally don't enjoy the exhaust drone at idle or while cruising the highways from less sophisticated exhaust systems. I can appreciate such superior design and engineering aspects of the LS430.

I have nothing against car modifications, but doing something in a misguided attempt to gain performance isn't something that should be advocated. If you are deleting resonators just for your personal enjoyment of a different exhaust note, then just say so.

If you are deleting resonators because you are wildly guessing there could be a performance gain because you suspect resonators induce excessive backpressure, you may want to keep in mind that backpressure is something an engine is designed for. Most/all cars with a highly optimized engine, intake, and exhaust system perform worse when you change the intake or exhaust characteristics without adjusting the engine tuning accordingly.

Keep the car mods coming, but anything performance-related should be substantiated at least by a good working theory of the relevant engineering principles, if not by actual measurements.
I'm guessing that this type of statement or a facsimile of it has never been posted over at civicforums.com....