LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Nav and AC buttons voltage

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-15, 02:08 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
When he said power output, did he mean the Miliamps consumption of the stock bulb?

Because just finding the right voltage won't do good in this case. This seems to be a very sensitive circuit board. We need to find the right forwarded voltage AND the right Miliamps consimption(same MA as stock bulb).

On the other hand, I read that the RX vehicles come equipped with Aqua white radio buttons. So the same tiny bulbs with the plastic base, but not ORANGE like ours, instead it's in AQUA WHITE. So that seems to be an option of a direct swap.

The question is; Does anyone know where we can get our hands on component parts like this. I haven't contacted a dealer yet. But I'll get in touch with South Atlanta and Sewell and see if they would be able to supply the parts.
King, you are going where no man has gone ... before you. Good luck with it.
Old 06-25-15, 02:16 PM
Owczar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I mean the same amperage and voltage. Power is the ratio of amperage and voltage.
P=U*I
And U=R*I, so LED with resistor must have the same resistance which will be proportional to power.
When the resistance will be the same- voltage will be the same also. But it is not so easy to choose led with resistor with the same power. LED has directional resistance.
You can also obtain white cold light by putting light blue bulb caps. It will cut yellow band. The light will be darker, but light will be a little modern. I will lok for blue caps. Where I can I will replace for led, but in navi this could be the way.

Last edited by Owczar; 06-25-15 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-25-15, 08:01 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom57
King, you are going where no man has gone ... before you. Good luck with it.
Much appreciated, hopefully there is some light at the end of the tunnel, pun intended.

Originally Posted by Owczar
Yes I mean the same amperage and voltage. Power is the ratio of amperage and voltage.
P=U*I
And U=R*I, so LED with resistor must have the same resistance which will be proportional to power.
When the resistance will be the same- voltage will be the same also. But it is not so easy to choose led with resistor with the same power. LED has directional resistance.
You can also obtain white cold light by putting light blue bulb caps. It will cut yellow band. The light will be darker, but light will be a little modern. I will lok for blue caps. Where I can I will replace for led, but in navi this could be the way.
The blue cap idea is not a bad one. Will wait to hear from you on that one.

Meanwhile, I have got in touch with a guy who had this conversion done to his ES.
He said, after he did the LED conversion, his airbag light came on. And he had to put all the stock bulbs back on the board for that light to turn off.

So it seems like these boards and circuits are extremely sensitive to any alteration of the voltage flow.

Anyways, he says that he put everything back on the board. And he painted all the bulbs black. Then soldered an SMD over the stock bulbs.
He says that it works perfect with no problems. I have emailed him to hear more about the story and the technicalities that were involved.

Owz, do you know how to measure a bulbs specs?? We need to see what the stock bulb is. I think it might be an 8 volt 60ma bulb. But not sure.
Old 06-25-15, 11:51 PM
Owczar
Driver

Blue caps will be safest way. You can see that nav electronic is very sensitive to abnormal Voltage. The second problem is dimmer- LED dont`like it.

I am 90% sure that native voltage for bulbs is 6V - they have serial connection to 12V on one side of navi. Also they have of course tolerance because voltage in car oscillate between 12-14,5V. The best way to measure bulbs is to measure it resistance in Ohms. This parametere it will be most important.

Parallel connection with bulb and led- I was thinking also about this solution. In this case bulbs works as an resistor. But LED connected parallel with bulb will give different output resistance.
Old 06-26-15, 01:43 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Blue caps will be safest way. You can see that nav electronic is very sensitive to abnormal Voltage. The second problem is dimmer- LED dont`like it.

I am 90% sure that native voltage for bulbs is 6V - they have serial connection to 12V on one side of navi. Also they have of course tolerance because voltage in car oscillate between 12-14,5V. The best way to measure bulbs is to measure it resistance in Ohms. This parametere it will be most important.

Parallel connection with bulb and led- I was thinking also about this solution. In this case bulbs works as an resistor. But LED connected parallel with bulb will give different output resistance.
Blue caps would be the easier way out. But it won't be as bright as I'd like it to be.

Hmm, this is so complicated. Because I have never learned electric engineering, trying to learn, but very slow.

Here is the diagram I was provided by my friend and his idea.
He used OSRAM SMD's that are very good quality. Osram LWT6SC.

Old 06-26-15, 02:04 PM
Owczar
Driver

What was resistance value of this resistor? 6,2mOhm? Of course if bar code of resistor isn`t incidental

Last edited by Owczar; 06-26-15 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-26-15, 03:05 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

What was resistance value of this resistor? 6,2mOhm? Of course if bar code of resistor isn`t incidental
He said to measure every bulb and figure out how much it needs, and then buy the specific resistor after using the online LED resistor calculator.

Because one side of the NAV the voltage given out is 6V. And on the other side it is different, like you said.

But most likely an 1/8 watt resistor so it can fit on the board and have the buttons cover everything up.
Old 06-26-15, 04:18 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

was it really worth to go thru all that trouble to change those quality made oem bulbs to some zendong low grade white bulbs?
Old 06-27-15, 05:07 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lextout
was it really worth to go thru all that trouble to change those quality made oem bulbs to some zendong low grade white bulbs?
OSRAM is a well known German company that only provides the best of lighting accommodations across the world.

Cosmetic appearance of my car is a very important aspect to me. And I think it looks waaay better with the crisp white LED's.

I will pay $300 for someone to do the conversion for me. That's where I value it at. Especially when you're staring at the thing every time you get into the car for most of the time.

I am chatting with a buddy over from US Club Lexus owners, and we seem to be on the right track to crack this myth. Hopefully we do.

I am currently looking for a used 2004-2006 NAV screen, till then I won't have any new news.