GROM Audio Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-15, 05:55 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default GROM Audio Problems

Hello,

I just installed the Grom Audio "Toyota Scion Lexus USB Android iPod iPhone Bluetooth AUX adapter( SKU: TOYU3 )" in my 2003 LS430.

Having some issues. Ive sent an email to GROM and am waiting for a response, but I thought I`d ask here in case someone went through the same problem.

The installation was easy. Factory radio comes out with no issues and and the cable seems idiot proof. I mounted the GROM in my glove box.

However, when I put a USB stick with MP3s in, it either goes to track 1 or track 76 and plays silence. I`ve tried a 15GB stick and a 1GB stick formatted with FAT, FAT32 and with different allocation sizes (4096, 8192), but no dice. Really frustrating!!

Did I buy a POS?
Old 05-09-15, 06:23 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I don't think you have the file directory setup correctly. My unit has been working great for the last 2 years. Update it to the latest firmware as well. Always good to have the latest software.

http://gromaudio.com/downloads/GROM-USB3_manual.pdf

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 05-09-15 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-09-15, 06:29 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I don't think you have the file directory setup correctly. My unit has been working great for the last 2 years. Update it to the latest firmware as well. Always good to have the latest software.

http://gromaudio.com/downloads/GROM-USB3_manual.pdf
Could you tell me what type of USB stick you are using, how you formatted it and what directory structure you used?

Some specifics would be great. I have that manual and tried what they said, but I cant get to work.
Old 05-09-15, 06:31 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

It's all in the linked PDF.

3.3 Operation in USB MODE
3.3.1 Supported USB Storage Devices
All FAT16/32 formatted storage:
- USB sticks/hard drives
- Android phone with AALinQ app (most supported)
The GROM USB supports only FAT16/32 formatted storage. NTFS is NOT supported!
3.3.2 Supported formats
The GROM-USB supports the following formats:
- MP3 with bitrates up to 320Kbps
- FLAC Lossless up to 24 bits, 48 khz
- WMA with bitrates up to 389Kbps
- AAC / iTunes with bitrates up to 389Kbps
- OGG/Vorbis with bitrates up to 389Kbps
- VBR/CBR
Note 1: No digital rights management (DRM)-protected content purchased through major online stores will play directly through the USB-MP3 adapter as such content is encrypted and signed by the media publisher. This includes but is not limited to iTunes, Rhapsody, Zune Marketplace, and MSN. You need to burn such files to a CD and then rip them back with any capable software.
The music purchased from Amazon and iTunes+ is compatible with GROM-USB2 without any modifications.
Note 2: AAC files stored on USB Flash Drives may have a delay of 5-10 seconds before the music starts playing.

On your USB portable data medium, create one directory (folder) for each disc your stereo supports; name them with numbers i.e., 1-Pop, 2-Rock, 3-Classic, etc); save all of your music into these directories.
- As soon as you connect the GROM USB adapter to a USB portable data medium, the GROM will translate root directories into virtual discs. Their number depends on the number of discs supported by the specific car stereo.
- We recommend that you have as many directories as possible on a root level as the car stereo will not recognize subdirectories. The GROM itself will enumerate sub-directories and turn them into a flat list of tracks.
- If filenames in a certain directory begin with digits, they will be played in ascending order based on the order of those digits in the filenames. For example:
\1-Dance\My songs\
1. Track.mp3
2. Track.mp3 (will play first according to the number )
- If filenames begin with letters, they are played in ascending order of the file creation date/time. - If root directory starts with the number, the directory will be assigned to a respective virtual disc.
All MP3, WMA, iTunes, and OGG tracks will be enumerated and found once you select the appropriate disc.
Old 05-09-15, 07:13 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

It's all in the linked PDF.
The manual came with the device. I tried exactly that - word for word. Device either doesn't respond or goes to track 76 and plays silence.

I'm leaning towards POS.
Old 05-09-15, 08:04 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Well, mine works great. It's either you or a faulty device.
Old 05-10-15, 07:00 AM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Well, mine works great. It's either you or a faulty device.
Tried with a new memory stick - Sandisk Cruzer Glide 8GB - and repeated the directions. Seem to work now. I think the other one had some autoplay cr*p that could have messed it up.

I any case I'm happy it's not a POS.
Old 05-10-15, 07:09 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

It's also good to update the unit to the latest firmware if you have not already. Glad you got it working. I also repartition usb drives to get rid of the junkware.

http://www.gromaudio.com/software.html
Old 12-13-16, 08:04 AM
wordwrkr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grom says don't update the firmware

I know this is an old thread, but for those like me who are new to the forum and simply researching various topics, I thought I'd chime in.

According to Grom, you should update the firmware ONLY when something isn't working properly. If there aren't any problems, Grom says don't update the firmware. So the notion that "it never hurts to have the latest software" is contrary to Grom's own advice.

My Grom has been installed for less than two months, but so far I haven't had any problems, and it sounds great. Plus, there aren't any ugly wires hanging around.