LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

oil brand/type?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-15, 06:18 PM
thafox84
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil brand/type?

Comming up to 1st oil change soon and was contemplating on using amsoil starting from this one on, have heard nothing but good things about amsoil, what oil do you guys use im planning on synthetic also, but im open for opinions of course
Old 04-22-15, 07:29 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The only problem with amsoil is cost effectiveness. It's pricey stuff.

And at the risk of turning this into a war zone, I'll just say that it's my opinion that Redline 5w30 is superior to Amsoil 5w30 if only because Redline doesn't have to use any viscosity improvers to get 5w30, their motor oil starts as 5w30 and they use additives to make their other grades.

But really, Amsoil and Redline are completely overkill for our engines.

Just get some Mobil 1 from Walmart or Amazon.

Personally, I run Toyota Genuine 0w-20 because it's really thin at 0 degrees. I might switch over to Mobil 1 0w20 with advanced protection but I probably won't because protection at 0 degrees is so important to me.
Old 04-22-15, 07:31 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

What are you going to formula one your car and redline the hell out of it?

Seriously, who drives at these rpm's in a LS... I use Mobile 1 Extended Performance 5w-30 and change every 7500 miles. For our application I see no benefit with racing synthetic blends. I hear very good things about 0w-20 but Toyota does not recommend it for the LS430. This is why I am hesitant to use it. Too light of an oil can cause problems with the vvti.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-22-15 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-22-15, 09:14 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

AIRCHOMPERS comes in like a mother trucking mac track carrying a load of bricks.

Here's a used oil analysis of the Toyota 0w-20 on my car

Toyota/Lexus rated all the UZs for 5w20 oil. And I'd rather get 0w synthetic.

I do have some qualms about the lower viscosity at the end of the oil life, but I drive pretty easy and these are tough engines so it doesn't bother me enough to change it.

Let it be known that I drove an entire winter on that oil. Those are the hardest conditions a car will usually see.

Frankly, any synthetic in our viscosity spec would work great in our cars. If you were hitting the redline every shift and driving on the freeway in 3rd gear, maybe you'd want amsoil or redline, but there aren't a lot of cars that benefit from the better oil. Even tuned turbo cars run great on mobil 1.

The only engine I know in real life that needs top of the line oil is a very very tuned Harley motor, and the only reason it needs the oil is because the bearings on a v twin get PUNISHED. I think the dude built up the valve train and his Harley engine redlines at 7,500, which is analogous to our cars pushing 700 horsepower at 11k rpm.
Old 04-22-15, 09:51 PM
VerbalKent
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mobil1 5W30 Synthetic at 8K intervals. As stated by Airchomper and Lavrishevo, unless you're yinging the engine to F1 rpms, you won't really see the benefit of Royal Purple, Amsoil, etc.,..save those oils for when you get an LF

Last edited by VerbalKent; 04-22-15 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-23-15, 04:49 AM
ZanderZ32
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

5w-30 Pennzoil Platinum at 7,500 intervals. Blows Mobil away in UOC analyses and is very reasonably priced.

In the end use a good name brand oil and filter and you will be fine. These engines (UZ's) are very easy on the oil, so don't worry too much.
Old 04-23-15, 06:49 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I think it's the ultra Pennzoil that blows Mobil 1 away,IIRC.. but this has been way discussed and no need to start, yet another oil thread...right guys. Do a search on bob is the oil guy and read to your heart's content
Old 04-23-15, 07:01 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

The mobile 1 extended performance is really good oil. Better then the standard synthetic from what I have read. Mobile also makes oil for Toyota.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance formulas are designed specifically for today's longer service intervals and are guaranteed to protect for up to 15,000 miles or one year.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance has a unique formulation with boosted level of protection and performance. These formulations with the Advanced SuperSyn System contain 50 percent more SuperSyn, 36 percent more anti-wear additives, and 37 percent more cleaning agents than the current Mobil 1.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-23-15 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-23-15, 08:43 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

yeah the synthetics are better, no debate there but so what. I guess you get a slightly better gas mileage but run the numbers and I bet it doesn't pay. Improved wear characteristics? yeah, but again so what...these engines run forever on dino so why spend the extra bucks.
Old 04-23-15, 09:14 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I don't think there's anything "wrong" with Amsoil and it's a quality product, but their business model is something like Amway with Multi Level Marketing and so you get all sorts of people swarming internet boards about how superior it is and how they are also a "dealer" you can buy from. So you'll pay quite a bit more.

I would just use a quality synthetic that's widely available. I use Mobil 1 because I can get it for a great price at Costco.

I personally don't believe your engine is going to last longer with say a Royal Purple or Amsoil if you started using it on an engine that already has 100k+ miles. All you're doing is doubling your costs to change the oil.
I tend to think no matter how great an oil you used, the "damage" has already been done.
Old 04-23-15, 09:54 AM
sakoa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
I don't think there's anything "wrong" with Amsoil and it's a quality product, but their business model is something like Amway with Multi Level Marketing and so you get all sorts of people swarming internet boards about how superior it is and how they are also a "dealer" you can buy from. So you'll pay quite a bit more.

I would just use a quality synthetic that's widely available. I use Mobil 1 because I can get it for a great price at Costco.

I personally don't believe your engine is going to last longer with say a Royal Purple or Amsoil if you started using it on an engine that already has 100k+ miles. All you're doing is doubling your costs to change the oil.
I tend to think no matter how great an oil you used, the "damage" has already been done.
Couldn't have said it any better.
Old 04-23-15, 01:06 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Cold start protection whether in warm or cold climates is superior with synthetic oils. It flows faster at the some viscosity vs a dino. This is one of the main reasons I use it. 90% of engine wear happens during cold starts and warming up.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-28-15 at 06:26 AM.
Old 04-23-15, 02:09 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I use Mobil 1 5W-30 for High Mileage vehicles (over 100k I think it says). You can find the entire line for the cheapest at Wal-Mart. They sell them in 5 quart jugs for like $22.
Old 04-23-15, 09:18 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Absolutely no need for boutique specialty oils. I suggest you buy any name brand 5w-30 full synthetic (Mobil1, Castrol, Penzoil, etc) on sale at Walmart. I have used them all depending on what is on sale. I avoid low quality oil filters. I use the OEM Toyota filter or highest quality filter from WIX or Napa (avoid the lower quality/cheaper models). Lots of folks like the Fram Ultra oil filter. Mobil1 EP is a really high quality oil especially when it is on sale : )

Last edited by Jabberwock; 04-23-15 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-23-15, 09:43 PM
ceedub53
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mobil1 EP 5W-30 Fram Ultra XG3600 Oversize

Quick Reply: oil brand/type?