LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

MMR HR3 Filment nightmare beware

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-15, 09:31 PM
Hunted
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down MMR HR3 Filment nightmare beware

Anyone thinking about upgrading to a set of MMR HR3 buyer beware. I purchased a set of 19" staggered set from a co called CARID, the company says they guaranty filment. What a joke. I purchased the staggered set 19x8.5 +35 offset front and 19x9.5 +40 offset rear. The co takes your money and says they are in stock. Then after about a week after a whole bunch of e-mails trying to figure out when they will be shipped (forget calling them you will sit on hold for an hr, really) they finally contact me and tell me that they have to be modified to fit my application and this takes a month. Well then I find out I cannot cancel the order after 3 days. So I wait and finally thy wheels show up. I ordered these with tires already mounted up for over 2Gs and immediately mounted them up. Well then I realize that all 4 wheels I can only tighten the supplied lug nuts about 2 1/2 turns. Meaning that If I were to drive on them I would probably get killed as 2 1/2 turns would strip the threads and send my car into a ditch or worse. So don't be fooled like me and order anything from these idiots. Now they say well we think you might need a set of adaptors, say what!! Now I need to install a longer set of studs to get these wheels to fit. And everyone knows what a pain an the but this is, especially the rears. Also the quality of the diamond finish is so bad that your fingernail will scratch the wheels. Save your money and run from this company. Just a warning
Old 04-16-15, 01:39 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Huh, that's odd.

I don't really no much about the company. But from surfing their website regularly, and especially since I'm in the market for new wheels, I have been visiting their website quite often. They seem to give the impression of a company that does good work.

But hand on experience is the better judge I believe.

Thank you for taking the time and writing up about your experience with them. As for me, I found a local authorized dealer of the wheel company that I'm looking to buy. + they offered a way better price than CarID.

Good luck with solving your troubles.
Old 04-16-15, 01:46 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

A quick look using "carid problems" turns up no shortage of unhappy customers. Hope they get it worked out for you.
Old 04-16-15, 06:02 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

are you sure the wheels are mounted up right? if its not sitting on the hub correctly then it wouldnt show enough threads. but theres no way it would only thread 2 1/2 times unless they gave you the incorrect lug nuts for the car.
Old 04-17-15, 04:24 AM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get extended reach tuner lugs.
Old 04-17-15, 08:39 PM
Hunted
Driver School Candidate

Default MMR HR3 no fit issue

Wish extended reach tuner lugs would work, but I believe the extension only applies to an extended length and does nothing to help my issue. (studs not long enough) I took some measurements and the MMR's are in fact a bit thicker, hence not enough thread sticking out. Again, if I were to have just mounted these guys up, my first high speed corner would send my into woods or worse) To back me up I brought the set to a custom shop and they agree, have to purchase and install an extended set of studs to fit these to my car. Not a huge deal buster, since I am having the fenders rolled and a set of lower springs put in to drop the car an inch. (cheap way out for a 2002)
It just rips me off that this on-line rip off company CARID sells these 19" MMR HR3 "guaranteed to fit with no modifications" then can't be contacted, no replies, nothing. Live and learn, buy from a local tire and wheel shop where they be contacted after the sale. The only online company I have ever had luck with is Tire Rack, but they have a pretty limited choice of custom wheels for the LS430 and I sort of wanted the Lexani look without the high price.
I took some pictures showing measurements, VIN #, stud length, even remounted one wheel and took detailed pic of the issue with NO REPLY>
Old 04-17-15, 08:50 PM
Hunted
Driver School Candidate

Best way to judge for yourself is call, but I guarantee I have been calling and listening to some stupid jokes recording for over 40min and then my cell battery gets low. Tried for 3 days now. As soon as they get your money, that's the last you will hear from them. I know!
Old 04-18-15, 06:48 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

jeez the backpad on that wheel must be pretty thick then. i usually hear of extended studs needed for spacers but never for replacement wheels.
Old 04-18-15, 12:51 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunted
Wish extended reach tuner lugs would work, but I believe the extension only applies to an extended length and does nothing to help my issue. (studs not long enough) I took some measurements and the MMR's are in fact a bit thicker, hence not enough thread sticking out. Again, if I were to have just mounted these guys up, my first high speed corner would send my into woods or worse) To back me up I brought the set to a custom shop and they agree, have to purchase and install an extended set of studs to fit these to my car. Not a huge deal buster, since I am having the fenders rolled and a set of lower springs put in to drop the car an inch. (cheap way out for a 2002) It just rips me off that this on-line rip off company CARID sells these 19" MMR HR3 "guaranteed to fit with no modifications" then can't be contacted, no replies, nothing. Live and learn, buy from a local tire and wheel shop where they be contacted after the sale. The only online company I have ever had luck with is Tire Rack, but they have a pretty limited choice of custom wheels for the LS430 and I sort of wanted the Lexani look without the high price. I took some pictures showing measurements, VIN #, stud length, even remounted one wheel and took detailed pic of the issue with NO REPLY>
Word of warning about rolling your fenders... don't do it. The lip is double-wall steel with some holes in it and attempting to roll them will result in a rippled mess on the outside of the fender. Trust me, I had mine done and wish I didn't. The only option is to cut the inside lip. Multiple threads about this on here.
Old 04-19-15, 01:13 PM
Coustic
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a response really fast, dispute the charge with your credit card./
the company will change their tune and will respond immediately.