LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

im back to say HI, but shopping for a 460!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-15, 09:12 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Certainly an interesting read. So, as one who drove an 05 430 and now drives an 08 460, I I think I can share some insight. I really liked my 430. It was a very good car and served me well. I traded it for the 460. I LOVE it. Why? For me, it's sportier. I drove the 430 like an old man. I drive the 460 like a rocket. The nav screen is much larger. The updates are via USB. The MB system is awesome. Having the hard drive and DVD is a pleasure. The interior is about as great as you could want. I smile every time I get in the driver seat.

Are there problems? Sure. Is it worth it? It is to me. I did my homework. So far I am lucky. The car rides like a dream. Will there be issues in the future? How do I know? If you are concerned get an extended warranty or get to know an independent mechanic.

At the end of the day this is your choice. Sure ask questions, that's the wise thing to do. But no one else pays your bills so in the end it's what you want that counts. There are lots of 460 for sale. If this one doesn't work out keep looking.

Good luck.
Old 04-10-15, 11:42 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 149 Likes on 110 Posts

I did find my 460L handled better, but it felt huge compared to my 430. The L had something to do with that, but even the regular wheelbase 460 felt like a much heavy car. For me, the interior was a huge disappointed. Other than the obvious tech upgrades, the leather felt cheap and my damn glove box door never seemed to close right no matter how much adjustment was done. I saw cars with faded dashes and faded leather, yet they were low mileage.

But I think you hit on it. It did feel sportier, and that's were I think they have lost me as an LS customer. I wanted quiet/smooth/dependable, not sporty/more noisy/less smooth/problematic. I'm sure it will appeal to a new segment of buyers, but if I wanted sportier, there are much better options in the sedan market for me personally.

Sadly, I hear the next LS is supposed to be geared even more to the sporty side. Personally, I don't think it will be successful. The German rule that arena, and I think Toyota/Lexus management is much to conservative to do what it takes to be competitive in the sporty sedan market. I think they will try and get close, but to unseat MB and BMW, they are going to have to do what they did in 1989. In the end, I think the LS will end up the Camry SE of the luxury car market. Too boring. Not sporty enough. And only a fraction of the market. In fact, I think it might already be there.
Old 04-10-15, 12:17 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I won't buy another Lexus until they get that goofy looking "spindle" grill off the front of the car...man that is a hideous look. If I had to buy an LS460, I'd look for a 2011 LS460 F type. I drove one a couple of years ago that was a fabulous car. Yes it would cost me way more money but I almost went for it at the time. Glad I hesitated because my LS430 is still making me happy every time I drive it and it costs me very little to drive it at this point.
Old 04-10-15, 04:09 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I appreciate all the opinions, especially those who currently have or have had the 460's.

I agree with those of you, of the opinion, that Lexus is currently trying to make the LS too 'sporty'. In that desire & "relentless pursuit" (lol), I think they are not focused on/not concerned with their roots 'as reliable, as quiet, as traditional', that originally gravitated me to the LS lines starting in the late 80's. They took what the Germans were making and made it BETTER. I don't think that's the case today.

We can sit here and talk about preferences on the lines of a car, the style of a car, the shape of a car, etc, and what one person finds beautiful, another might find ugly. I get that. But.....FOR ME, for my taste, for my preference, I prefer a more boxy-ish, a more traditional, a more conservative looking vehicle. I do not like the grill of the newer Lex's. What really annoys me with the 2007-2012 models is that it's difficult to tell what Lex is coming down the street towards you. All the grills look the same! The grill of the 2004-2006's is priceless.

I love the lines when viewed from the side, on the (460's) 2007-2012 models, more than the (430's) 2004-2006's!
I hate the swath of amber for turn signals, in the brake lights of the (460's) 2010-2012's.
I hate more the grills of the 460's. Reminds me of my 2002 Acura 3.5RL!
Cannot stand the orangeish/brown dingy glow of the DRL's of ALL the LS's. Come ON. Still using a halogen bulb for DRL's on the 2009-2012's!?!?!?. Ridiculous not to use LED's on these years!

Nevertheless, with all those things I really didn't like, I was preoccupied with the newer is better mentality. I was saying to myself-----MAN would I love the interior of a 2007+, MAN would I like the nav of a 2007+ (the nav algorithms are HORRENDOUS in the GEN4 navs), MAN would I love my car to parallel park itself (lol). Man would I love the integrated 3rd stop light LED, high on the edge back window, and not a lightbulb in a plastic housing on the back shelf!

While you guys saved me from making a financially stupid decision on buying a new(er) model LS, the WORST part is, after the 2012 models, THERE'S NOTHING THAT LEXUS REALLY HAS ME INTERESTED IN! How does that happen? The car company that I dreamed of owning a car from as a teenager, has nothing appealing to me now!

I think and think and think there is honestly nothing that Lexus is making, that makes me dream that I will be driving one. The 2004-2006 430's DID make me dream to drive one. The HID headlights (minus the dingy DRL's), the LED tail lights, and the big and badass chrome grill. People KNOW when I'm coming down the street.

My friends say BUY A BENZ! I say to them, I can't stand German icons on their switches, their icons nor red backlit dashboards. LOL.

Maybe I'll save up and buy a luxurious and prestigious Lexus NX or CT? LMAO. What a couple of JOKES right there.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 04-10-15 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-13-15, 01:27 PM
2jzism
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LS430inDE.

I can relate here, I had a 2004 GS300 and my wife had a 2003 ES330 and later a 2009 ES350. My GS was a dream come true as I instantly fell in love with the GS when I first saw it in 98. Since then I have always lusted over the LS430 as it represented to me the pinnacle of japanese over engineering. I presently own a 2010 Genesis Sedan which mechanically is garbage and I have had nothing but problems for the last two years since purchasing it as a CPO car. I have been looking for the last 4 months into the 2004-2006 LS430, now I have not personally driven any LS430, but just this weekend at a local Carmax (wife wanted to look at a 2012 RX350) I was able to drive a 2012 LS460 and all I can say is that I was blown away with the fit and finish of that 2012 LS460, but I was brought back down to earth as soon as I saw the price tag $43K.

Now I'm sure that owners of the LS430 can attest that mechanically its one the best that toyota has ever produced.
Old 04-13-15, 11:47 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

My first 04 I drove to 200k. That thing was so fantastic I could not bring myself to buy anything else so I got another one. With the problems you guys are relating might as well get an A8 they are getting pretty good reviews 010 and later LOL.
Old 04-15-15, 05:38 AM
2jzism
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Then truly how reliable is the LS430?
Old 04-15-15, 10:33 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jzism
Shockingly............like it just keep running and running, you see the odometer keep going up but nothing ever break, it start to feel surreal and you start to wonder is this really happening, something is wrong, how come nothing ever goes wrong. You wonder if you are in the twilight zone or in the movie groundhog day and somehow stuck in time and the car never ages, it start everyday and run perfectly, year after year

Honestly though, you don't want one. On my LS430, the tires keep going bald, the gas tank empty out and the car keeps getting dirty consistently, I am so sick of washing it and putting gas in it every 2 weeks, it is extremely high maintenance, it is the worst car ever made!

Last edited by BNR34; 04-15-15 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-15-15, 11:23 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 149 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jzism
My Lexus dealership service tech used the word "bulletproof". Same guy said he wouldn't own a 460.
Old 04-15-15, 12:05 PM
musclecar6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a 2005 LS 430 that we bought new. It's the non-air non L model. We bought it new and have driven it 242,000 miles and it has run flawlessly with just routine maintenance at the Lexus dealer. Nothing has gone wrong. Love this car. We're in the same boat as others though and we kinda think it might be time to move over to an LS 460 cause eventually things are going to need replacing on the LS 430.
Old 04-15-15, 03:40 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Both models are good. The only issue I had with my 430 was the steering wheel. It stopped scoping and going up and down. That was going to be a pricey fix and I was told it's a common occurrence. The good news is the 430 holds it's value because I got a boat load of trade in for my 430 when I bought the 08 460.

For me it was a no brainer. The 460 offered me much more of the things I was looking for in a car and for the price I got, it was the way to go. As for the fuel recall, another no big deal. Took the car in, they gave me a loaner, did the repair, filled the tank with gas and the next day off I went. No Charge!

As for Lavoris's comments about the 460 repairs, all cars have repairs. He visits the 460 side often and says he's going to have one. So I'm not quite sure what he's trying to say. The common denominator seems to be the control arms. This site is valuable and I'm sure there are hundreds of posters per car category. But there were 1000's of these cars made so it's such a small percent of complaints, it's hard to say it's a problem. if it was, Lexus would replace them.

The 07-09 has such a nice look. The 10-12 made a lot of nice changes and had I wished to spend a lot more money, I'd have bought a 2012. But for me and my 2 cents worth, the 460 is the right car for me and I've own a 300, 400, 430 and now the 460.

Happy happy happy!
Old 04-15-15, 05:19 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by bnr34
honestly though, you don't want one. On my ls430, the tires keep going bald, the gas tank empty out and the car keeps getting dirty consistently, i am so sick of washing it and putting gas in it every 2 weeks, it is extremely high maintenance, it is the worst car ever made!
lolllllllllllllllllll. That was funneeeeeeeee!
Old 04-16-15, 07:15 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ls430inde.
lolllllllllllllllllll. That was funneeeeeeeee!

Lexus need to make a car that never get dirty, tires never go bald and never need to be re-fuel or re-charge, then I would call it a good car
Old 04-17-15, 02:55 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34

Lexus need to make a car that never get dirty, tires never go bald and never need to be re-fuel or re-charge, then I would call it a good car
Dam, that would be pretty cool. Maybe in 20 years you'll see that car that never needs to be re-fueled or charged....but, the oil companies would shut it down...

Tech is almost there...but, still a way to go, and a LONG time till it's perfected and you see it in a LS...
Old 04-18-15, 07:57 PM
TXLS430
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

TOO FUNNY

In summary, keep your car. LS430 regret is a terrible feeling. I remember sitting in my office at work one day and thinking how nice it would be if I walked out in the park lot that afternoon and my 460L had burned to the ground or had been stolen. That's how much I hated that damn thing. [/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: im back to say HI, but shopping for a 460!