01 LS430 Transmission Check/Flush

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-15, 07:37 PM
AngelEyes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 LS430 Transmission Check/Flush

Hi All,

Forgive me if this has come up before and please direct me to the appropriate post if I've missed it. I understand the 01-03 have a different transmission system to the 04-06. The 04-06 model has a sealed transmission pan with no dipstick and using WS ATF (correct me if I'm wrong). I also understand the 01-03 model has a dipstick and drain plug / overflow arrangement and uses a different type of ATF.

I have an 01 LS430. When gears are changing at low speed it's a bit rough plus there is some hesitation between shifts where the engine will rev up to 1800 rpm before engaging a gear. I understand a software update to the ECU can also resolve issues like this.

What I can't find after trawling the internet is any clear cut instructions on how to maintain the transmission fluid on the 01 model yourself short of taking it to the dealer which I was quoted $480.00 to replace the fluid. I'm happy to pay this if it is the best advice but I'm able to drain and replace some fluid if that's all it takes. Has anyone done this before and fully understands the difference between the older and newer LS430 tranny's? What ATF does the 01 take? Does it need to be changed every 40k or like the 04 model it never needs to be changed? What is the best method for changing the fluid in the 01 model? Also how do you properly check the transmission fluid level on the 01?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by AngelEyes; 04-07-15 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-07-15, 08:34 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Your information on the 04-06 is correct.
I can't say for sure, but I think you are also correct about the 01-03.
Old 04-07-15, 08:58 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Search around, there are DIYs - at the very least that should help you find out what the job entails. We have the same transmission as the Lexus IS300, the transmission code is A650e.

$480 for the job is ludicrous. Go find an independent Toyota/Lexus/Scion tech in your area and get the transmission fluid drained in refilled coincidently with your next 3 oil changes.

There's a dipstick on the driver's side of the engine block. It's lower and oranger and closer to the driver than the engine oil dipstick. It's tricky to read the level correctly, but if the transmission fluid is brown or dark/dirty it probably needs to be replaced.

The transmission has a drain bolt, and you open up the drain bolt and then add fluid through the dipstick hole. I found my car takes about 1.5-2 quarts of oil, but that's because I don't let the oil drip out forever. If you let it drip out for a week or so, eventually about 6 quarts of oil would come out.

The only fluid you should use is Toyota Type IV.

Some people have success with Amsoil transmission fluid, and I myself tried Redline D4, but it made the transmission slip more and I didn't like the feeling at all, it didn't seem right. There are some equivalent oils but they are more expensive and harder to find than Toyota type IV. just get Toyota Type IV.
Old 04-07-15, 09:20 PM
AngelEyes
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by airchomper

The transmission has a drain bolt, and you open up the drain bolt and then add fluid through the dipstick hole. I found my car takes about 1.5-2 quarts of oil, but that's because I don't let the oil drip out forever. If you let it drip out for a week or so, eventually about 6 quarts of oil would come out.

The only fluid you should use is Toyota Type IV.
Thanks Airchomper,

Lucky I didn't go ordering WS ATF. Sounds like a fairly easy job as long as I put in exactly the same amount that comes out. I wonder why it takes so long to drain. Thanks for your input, much appreciated.
Old 04-07-15, 09:35 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There's only so much fluid in the transmission oil pan. The rest of it is in the gearset, and in the torque converter.

You shouldn't plan on replacing the fluid exactly. Trying putting in like 85% of the volume that came out.

I swear to the lord that the fluid shears/expands when it goes through the torque converter for the first time.

I wholeheartedly recommend 3 drain and refills. You can do them all on the same day, or do two and then drive it for a week before you do the third.

After you get fresh fluid in there, just plan on doing a drain and fill every two years.

I couldn't get the fluid level right for the longest time (until I realized that the fluid expanded in use) and I must have done 6 drain and refills the first time around. They really didn't make a difference after the 2nd one (although I did it at 70k miles) and the oil still looks perfect one year / 15k miles later.

Toyota Type IV is just okay fluid, but the a650e is pretty solid. It's actually a derivative of a transmission used in trucks so they last forever in LSs if you keep fresh fluid in them.
Old 04-07-15, 10:06 PM
AngelEyes
Driver School Candidate

The owners manual makes clear the correct ATF for the 01-03 models and 04-06.

01-03:
https://www.manualowl.com/am/Lexus/2.../6203?page=365

04-06:
https://www.manualowl.com/am/Lexus/2.../6415?page=492
Old 04-08-15, 04:39 AM
Owczar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AngelEyes
I have an 01 LS430. When gears are changing at low speed it's a bit rough plus there is some hesitation between shifts where the engine will rev up to 1800 rpm before engaging a gear. I understand a software update to the ECU can also resolve issues like this.
It looks like one of the clutches is slipping during gear changing. It happens on all gears? Symptoms are the same on cold and warm transmission fluid?

I am using Ravenol T-IV for my LS with A650E. It works ok with this fluid. It is also compatible with toyota TIV fluid so you could mixed them.

In your case I would change all oil dynamicaly. This method will replace all old fluid.
Static oil change will replace only 1/3 of all.

Old 04-08-15, 05:56 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would just drain as much as you can out and refill. Drive around a week and then do it again. Repeat this a few times and it eventually refreshes most of the transmission fluid. You don't want to do a flush on a transmission with high miles.
Old 04-08-15, 04:07 PM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Wink Read the Sticky

At the beginning of this forum there is a sticky on frequently asked questions. In there is the best procedure for changing transmission fluid in 2001 to 2003 LS 430 cars. Follow it. Period.

The preceding answers in this thread are not as good as the sticky. Be sure to read your owners manual and use Toyota type IV fluid. They put it in the guide for a reason.

By the way, you can use almost the same procedure for 2004 and later LS's except you must use Toyota WS Fluid. You can find a good method for these later cars by looking for a u-tube on late model Toyota pick up V 8's

What ever. Just change the fluid at 60 to 70 K miles. Remember these transmissions are not cheap.

The following users liked this post:
stuckincal (10-05-19)
Old 04-09-15, 12:22 AM
Owczar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the oil wahs changing regulary from the beginning I will change oil regulary and everything will be ok. But if previous owner didn`t change oil I will flush transmission by changing oil dynamicaly. Ia have similar problem with my Mitsubishi galant AT. During changing from 3rd to 4th gear clutch was slipping. After dynamically oil change everything works fine to this day.