LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Refresh The A/C System

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-15, 03:54 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts
Arrow Refresh The A/C System

If you are not doing this you guys are missing out. It's become my routine every 4 months or so. Such an easy way to clean your condenser and restore freshness and purity to your A/C. Kills mildew and mold and helps drain junk out. Of course this is on top of replacing your cabin filter as needed.

All you need is a spray bottle and 70% rubbing alcohol. Don't use 91% as it evaporates too quickly.

Turn on car and system to max fan
Set it pulling air from the outside
A/C compressor off
Roll down your windows for ventilation
Open hood and you will feel where max is suction coming from near where the base of the wiper

Spray a good amount of alcohol down and watch it clean your system and drain out the tubes below. Works fantastic. You can also use this same method to clean window and central air units if there is odors or build ups.

Happy Easter for those on the Western calendar and Pascha next week for those on the Eastern.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-04-15 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-04-15, 04:21 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Preventive maintenance is always a good idea, but spraying 70% alcohol into into your cars air vent could be hazardous as its a flammable liquid. Not sure if your car insurance would cover that type of loss or not. At the very least, I would suggest a disclaimer to use this procedure at your own risk
FWIW there are safer commercial products made specifically for this purpose.

Also the AC condenser is in front of the radiator. The evaporator is the part inside the cabin which sometimes needs to be cleaned.
Old 04-04-15, 04:28 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

Interesting procedure. Wouldn't you need to remove the cabin filter to prevent it from getting wet? This treatment would help keep the drain buildup to a minimum as well. I'll give it a try next time I pull my cabin filter.
Old 04-04-15, 05:17 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

You are right. Evaporator not condenser. The Toyota kit also includes a spray for the cowl along with a product that gets pumped up to the evaporator and then drained. Pain in the butt and expensive. The rubbing alcohol works great. No, the filter does not get wet. You don't spray inside on electrical parts. The alcohol drains down out the tubes after cleaning the evaporator. I have been doing this for 2 years now on various cars with great success. You can remove the filter if you want but I find no benefit. If anything, the alcohol vapor will help kill any bacteria in the filter if not already replacing it. The combustion point of rubbing alcohol is 750 degrees. Unless your car is on fire its not going to combust.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-04-15 at 05:33 AM.
Old 04-04-15, 08:28 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Thanks for the tip, I need to do this. I've done something similar with Lysol, but honestly I hate the smell of Lysol.

I do find the LS for whatever reason seems to have issues with the mildew smell more than other cars I've owned.

I've used the Toyota kit for this, it worked great, but it's a bit pricey to use frequently.
Old 04-04-15, 08:50 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I would think you could do this with any car...
Old 04-04-15, 01:13 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

While 750F sounds very high and unlikely, you must also be aware that a single spark will supply all that is needed to ignite the air/alcohol mixture.
Old 04-04-15, 02:00 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

You are right Jay. It is flammable. Really almost all solvents are. It evaporates very quickly and this is a good thing. Spraying down a evaporator that already has grime and water I am sure weakens the concentration immediately. It works very well for me. Proceed at your own risk.

Automotive

Isopropyl alcohol is a major ingredient in "gas dryer" fuel additives. In significant quantities, water is a problem in fuel tanks, as it separates from the gasoline, and can freeze in the supply lines at cold temperatures. Alcohol does not remove water from gasoline; rather, the alcohol solubilizes water in gasoline. Once soluble, water does not pose the same risk as insoluble water, as it will no longer accumulate in the supply lines and freeze. Isopropyl alcohol is often sold in aerosol cans as a windshield de-icer. Isopropyl alcohol is also used to remove brake fluid traces from hydraulic braking systems, so that the brake fluid (usually DOT 3, DOT 4, or mineral oil) does not contaminate the brake pads, which would result in poor braking.

Laboratory

As a biological specimen preservative, isopropyl alcohol provides a comparatively non-toxic alternative to formaldehyde and other synthetic preservatives. Isopropyl alcohol solutions of 70–99% are used to preserve specimens.

Isopropyl alcohol is often used in DNA extraction. It is added to a DNA solution in order to precipitate the DNA into a 'pellet' after centrifuging the DNA. This is possible because DNA is insoluble in isopropyl alcohol.

Safety

Isopropyl alcohol vapor is denser than air and is flammable with a flammability range of between 2 and 12.7% in air. It should be kept away from heat and open flame.[21] Isopropyl alcohol has also been reported to form peroxides, which may explode upon concentration.[22] Isopropyl alcohol is a skin irritant.[21]
Old 04-04-15, 03:44 PM
bfg23
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this the same as dumping a can of this stuff in there?
http://www.valvoline.com.au/explore-...our-eliminator

I usually do this once every couple months.
Old 04-04-15, 04:21 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

The alcohol will evaporate and not leave any lingering smell. The rubbing alcohol is good stuff. It can also be used to clean electronics.

I also just did a window unit that did not smell that great after winter. I used Lysol with bleach mildew spray and washed it out pretty good. Still the smell lingered. With 1/4' the amount of the rubbing alcohol it killed any odor and does not leave behind chemical residue and smell. Like Lysol.
Old 04-05-15, 09:15 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Can you just slowly/carefully pour the 70% rubbing alcohol into the air input suction vent under the wiper? Sounds like you stated to just put it in a spray bottle and spray it at the input vent...
Old 04-05-15, 10:16 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts
Question

Based on the various postings in a few threads on this subject, it appears that those in the drier / hotter climates have the musty, mildew smell more than others in wetter, colder climes. Small sample size, unscientific survey, of course. I've never had to clean / refresh the air intake system on any of my LS's, even those in my corporate fleet that were regularly serviced by L dealer. Perhaps larger volumes of, and more frequent, rain, and more frequent car washes to rid salt, etc. in northern climes has something to do with it.
Old 04-05-15, 10:48 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Spray it into the input vent. Don't pour it down. You dont need a tone. Right below the wiper base. It should drip out on both the left and right drain tubes. Yes, humid climates are conducive for this issue.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-10-15 at 06:22 AM.
Old 04-09-15, 05:47 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
The combustion point of rubbing alcohol is 750 degrees. Unless your car is on fire its not going to combust.
I just LMAOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-27-15, 07:06 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lavrishevo, great tip! I ran into this problem on my 2GS430. Stinky smell etc. Tried the Lysol solution. It didn't work.

I proceeded cautiously and sprayed a watered down solution initially a few times and then went full on with a 70% isopropyl alcohol solution into the cowl intakes. I also changed the cabin air filter.

Smell is gone and all is well!

Quick Reply: Refresh The A/C System