LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Battery hold-down strap

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-15, 09:42 AM
beneteau
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Battery hold-down strap

This is the worst engineered piece of crap I've ever seen. No room to see or attach the front and rear hooks. Get one in place and the other one comes loose. I've pulled that battery 3 (now 4) times and tried for 3 hours to get the strap in place and tightened.

The engineer that designed this piece of crap should have been shot! No one can really be this stupid!

Last edited by beneteau; 03-26-15 at 10:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
StanVanDam (02-07-21)
Old 03-26-15, 12:57 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i dont think i reinstalled mine after running a power wire.
Old 03-26-15, 02:00 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I must say that it is not the best design out there but i've seen worse engineering. lol. The key is to tighten the sticks alternately until it's snug in place.
Old 03-26-15, 02:01 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
I must say that it is not the best design out there but i've seen worse engineering. lol. The key is to tighten the sticks alternately until it's snug in place.
While you supply gentle upwards pressure.
Old 03-27-15, 05:25 AM
deadguy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

just make sure you don't let the back post fall down into the engine compartment. There is a plastic undercarriage cover towards the middle of the car that may or may not catch it. It caught mine, and it took quite a while to get it back.
Old 03-27-15, 02:42 PM
FlaPhil
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, mine dropped down into the plastic tray in the engine bay too and it took FOREVER to find it.

Mine kept slipping out and in the end I had to remove the entire battery tray so I could see where the rear mount was supposed to fit and then I reformed the end of the strap to make it fit better. That worked but it was a real pain. What should have been a 10 minute job turned into over 2 hours of sweating and swearing LOL
Old 03-30-15, 08:28 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm glad someone brought this up. I lost the front hook for the battery hold down post into the void and spent 1.5hr looking for it. I did not find it. My solution was to by another one for 10 dollars at the dealer. Very poor design!
Old 03-30-15, 09:29 PM
ceedub53
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deadguy
just make sure you don't let the back post fall down into the engine compartment. There is a plastic undercarriage cover towards the middle of the car that may or may not catch it. It caught mine, and it took quite a while to get it back.
That under-engine cover (while it protects the under carriage of the engine from debris on the road) is a massive PITA to take off, especially for oil filter changes. Dropping a part from above and having it stopped in the cover is ok, but it would be much better if it just fell through to the floor.
Old 04-01-15, 03:37 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased the figs engineering hold down and its a beautiful piece. Makes the stock junk look like a joke.
Old 04-01-15, 05:11 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

While the bottom engine cover is a pain to get off it can help save you. I had a long (like 5 inches) tensioner bolt come loose and work its way out. I would have never known had not the cover caught it and saved it for me until the next time it was removed. I was able to identify it, reinstall and torque thanks to that engine cover. Dealer must have not properly tightened it during the T/B install.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-01-15 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-03-15, 09:21 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's not bad at all. Just use a hand to keep the rod secure until the bolt is tense enough. And fasten down the rear and fore alternately.

It took me 15 minutes to swap my battery the first time and I'm a really slow worker.

The bar works well and doesn't give you any trouble in the years between battery replacement.

Perhaps OP should consider the glass house he lives in before he hurls stupid rocks. And talks about stupid people getting shot.
Old 04-04-15, 07:51 AM
FlaPhil
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by airchomper

Perhaps OP should consider the glass house he lives in before he hurls stupid rocks. And talks about stupid people getting shot.
Wow. Just wow.
Old 04-04-15, 01:15 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I've never had a problem replacing my batteries in any car I have owned, including my LS430.
Old 04-05-15, 10:43 AM
FlaPhil
Pit Crew

For crying out loud. To those here who are acting high and mighty saying there isn't a problem with the battery strap: perhaps you just haven't experienced it. That's rather like saying the door mirror motor is just fine, mine has never failed, it's just as good as the day I bought it so therefore NOBODY else can say there is a problem with theirs.

Well, some of us have had a different experience with the battery tie down and no, it's not (all) user error. The front mount WILL fall through unless you are careful. It would have been ridiculously easy for Lexus to engineer in a bump on the strap so it couldn't fall through the mounting hole but they didn't do that. So, it's fair enough to point it out and to warn other owners.

The rear mount IN MY OPINION is a badly engineered piece that WILL pull out of alignment if it does not precisely fit the undertray molded locator, and it WILL continuously, over and over, pull out of place and will not bolt down. This necessitates removal of the battery tray and reworking the tie down so it doesn't pull out. So, once again, this is worth pointing out to other owners so they know it's not just them.
Old 04-06-15, 08:02 AM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FlaPhil
... Well, some of us have had a different experience with the battery tie down and no, it's not (all) user error. The front mount WILL fall through unless you are careful ...

The rear mount IN MY OPINION is a badly engineered piece that WILL pull out of alignment if it does not precisely fit the undertray molded locator.
As far as cars go, the LS430 is pretty idiot-proof. And the battery tray is tricky (it was installed incorrectly when I got my car) but it's not too hard to install correctly. If you're trying your hardest, and being as careful as you can be and you mess up the installation, you have no business working on a car like the LS430. Like how the heck are you going to get your brake retainer pins in correctly if you can't do the battery tray?

The design could be better, but what can't be improved? The LS430 could have a 3 liter V12 with VVT-iW that would get better mileage and be smoother than our 3UZs. But that engine would have cost more to manufacturer than the rest of the car combined.

The design succeeds as a light weight way to keep many differently sized batteries secure. It probably is a shared part across multiple models, so it wasn't more tailored to the LS, but that makes the part less expensive and easier to get.

I'm all for warning people this is tricky. But a tricky job doesn't mean the Lexus engineers did a bad job. If you want something idiot proof, go drive a Honda Cub. And if someone can't do this tricky-but-not-very job by themselves, they should know that they really should pay a professional to do everything on the car except maybe the cabin air filter.

Quick Reply: Battery hold-down strap